Dive Rite reels: Azimuth vs SL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPRC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m considering both but would prefer a reel in the 125-150’ max length range so the SL series has one. My understanding is the Azimuth series starts at 200’. But setting aside line length…. I’m more interested in the 2 different locking styles. Any feedback out there about this function? One better than other for ease of use? 1 handed vs 2 handed operation, etc.? Concerns about line snags? It goes without saying a lot of R&D went into these things. Just looking for some practical opinion.

Personal preference. I assume based on your dive history we are talking about a deep DSMB reel? For ocean I'd probably get the slide lock to have the positive locking mechanism though I am weird and still prefer the classic reel to everything else because it's so much easier to reel in vs the others.

Ha ha. You guys with way more experience remind me of that one question I should be asking about which is ”what’s intended purpose’. I forgot to mention and tbone knows me a bit…yes, i’m in DP / AN class now and want to use for deeper dsmb deployment at about 80’. Most my diving in quarries.

TBONE: plz explain your ‘weirdness’. what do you mean ‘classic’?

Ha ha. You guys with way more experience remind me of that one question I should be asking about which is ”what’s intended purpose’. I forgot to mention and tbone knows me a bit…yes, i’m in DP / AN class now and want to use for deeper dsmb deployment at about 80’. Most my diving in quarries.

TBONE: plz explain your ‘weirdness’. what do you mean ‘classic’?

most people don't like this style of reel and think I'm crazy, but that's why it is personal preference. I linked to the reels below but if I KNOW that I'm going to have to use it from a fairly deep depth and will be hanging from it for a while then I much prefer this style reel. It is more prone to rats nesting, but the top handle is much easier for me to reel back in. I use the sidewinder style reels when I don't intend to have to deploy a dsmb but obviously need the ability to because they stuff in pockets much easier, and 80ft is around the tipping point of where I would switch to the Classic reel from a sidewinder style reel but it's all personal preference on what you like and what you don't.

thanks T.
btw: i finally ditched the n80‘s for sm :)

I have the same question but using the SL for a DSMB from deeper, like 150'. The spools with 100' are enough to deal with. If I get a bigger one, they would be hard to handle. The Dive Rite SL 200 would fit this need but just wondering if there are any cons to it. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom