Dive Rite "Streamlines Openwater Configuration"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input guys!

I've recently been trying to streamline my kit, and wanted to move away from the "standard" open water setup. I use the long hose setup with my doubles and tech equipment, but tbh I really didn't want to deal with the long hose on my singles setup, especially since during my recreational dives if there's an out of air emergency we'll just make a controlled ascent as opposed to having to trim out for deco stops or squeeze single file through a passage way. So this seems to be a nice compromise between the awkward and dangly recreational Octo setup and the cleaner long hose setup, but was having trouble finding people who could comment on it! I think I'll give it a go, and let you'll know how I like it.

Thanks again!

nice thing is that all you have to do is get the 90* adapter and the rest of the hoses should be the same as your other hoses. I just keep the 40" hose in my reg bag with a 90* adapter on it and swap when needed.

It's a very ideal system if you don't want to go full long hose but still donate your primary and have a bungee backup.
I don't agree with the DR colors though.

Primary if anything should be the color coded one.
What I like about this setup is you can swim side by side with your OOA diver, you can't with a traditional Octo on 40in hose.

I would suggest modifying and getting the 44in hose though. 40in with a small diver-big diver paired up was just slightly snug when swimming side by side OOA. I don't think it would be comfy with two big guys. 44in is just enough length to not flap away when tucked under your arm.
Having the 90 angle adapter as opposed to an omni swivel will also aid in this.

OOA donations are done with a different hand position. And it is important to practice this so you don't hand off with your hand smothered over the purge. You have to grab your hose connection but with your index finger behind the angle adapter. Hand off and and use your index to swivel the second stage to face your OOA diver. Simple but different.

Sci Dive MBA - 2:12.jpg

If you are horizontal, it is difficult for anyone coming toward you even to spot your bungied backup, let alone notice that it has a yellow faceplate. If they signal out of gas, you give them your primary. If they take your primary, you go to your backup. If, for some bizarre reason, they have FOUND your backup and are trying to take it, you shove your primary at them.

As with everything else in diving, color coding is not a very good way to know what to do with anything. I pay no attention at all to which of my regs might have some yellow on it.

yeah, color coding is a waste, all of my hoses are black with the exception of O2 and that's because it was part of a good deal I got on the reg. When it gets replaced, it'll be black. WRT hand positions, you should never pass the regulator from the hose connection, it allows the reg to get twisted around which is bad. Better hand position is either split finger fastball style with your fingers split over the purge, or better yet, make a U with your thumb and index finger and cup the bottom of the reg housing. This allows you full control over the 2nd stage and you can guide it into their mouth which eliminates the need to purge *I dive Poseidons most of the time, so this obviously doesn't work, but the way they are setup, you can hard grip the second stage without it twisting because of the barrel design.

That's how it looks in doubles. Bad trim is camera induced due to my buddy having it twisted. I believe that's a 40" hose and I have a 52" chest, so it's just long enough with the first stage on the right side and turned down. Would need 44" minimum for singles with it coming out sideways, but that's the beauty of double 72's, no need to justify diving singles for the weight savings. These aren't much bigger.

188889_10150449604760134_8176946_n.jpg

If you are horizontal, it is difficult for anyone coming toward you even to spot your bungied backup, let alone notice that it has a yellow faceplate. If they signal out of gas, you give them your primary. If they take your primary, you go to your backup. If, for some bizarre reason, they have FOUND your backup and are trying to take it, you shove your primary at them.

As with everything else in diving, color coding is not a very good way to know what to do with anything. I pay no attention at all to which of my regs might have some yellow on it.

The problem however is not all divers with bungee backups are at the point in their careers where diving horizontal or ascending horizontal is their thing.
I still think it is a good idea to point out color coding to avoid mixed signals.
Rather they spot the primary first than the secondary.

WRT hand positions, you should never pass the regulator from the hose connection, it allows the reg to get twisted around which is bad. Better hand position is either split finger fastball style with your fingers split over the purge, or better yet, make a U with your thumb and index finger and cup the bottom of the reg housing. This allows you full control over the 2nd stage and you can guide it into their mouth which eliminates the need to purge *I dive Poseidons most of the time, so this obviously doesn't work, but the way they are setup, you can hard grip the second stage without it twisting because of the barrel design.

I don't see how if your whole hand is butt up to the second stage.
I see the idea behind your hand positions but that doesn't seem like a sturdy grip for new divers with lack of finesse in their gloves hands.
Guiding it into their mouth doesn't eliminate the need to purge either. You can shove a good mouthful of water into someones mouth when you stick something in there.

divers should always be trained from day 1 wearing gloves to get rid of the touch sensation. If they are butted up to the second stage it can still spin and is much more difficult to control the rotation, especially with gloves, so your answer there is completely backwards. Wet neoprene means you can't get a firm grip on the hose connections which have to be the barrel side of the reg to keep it from spinning.

You should also never stick something in their mouth, if they want it, let them guide it into their mouth. The smiley face grip to the second stage is by far the best way to pass regulators unless you have one of the 5 regulators out there that don't allow that due to side exhaust. Poseidon cyklon, jetstream, xstream. Oceanic Omega, and the Hollis 500SE xstream knockoff. Try it, it works much better.

divers should always be trained from day 1 wearing gloves to get rid of the touch sensation. If they are butted up to the second stage it can still spin and is much more difficult to control the rotation, especially with gloves, so your answer there is completely backwards. Wet neoprene means you can't get a firm grip on the hose connections which have to be the barrel side of the reg to keep it from spinning.

You should also never stick something in their mouth, if they want it, let them guide it into their mouth. The smiley face grip to the second stage is by far the best way to pass regulators unless you have one of the 5 regulators out there that don't allow that due to side exhaust. Poseidon cyklon, jetstream, xstream. Oceanic Omega, and the Hollis 500SE xstream knockoff. Try it, it works much better.

You're joking right? I wanna know what lube you're using.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e86DP2hA1c&t=14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBTOiJ1PzY&t=15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqHa1kLLks&t=9s

ok not to open a can of worms here but why do we not donate the octo anymore?

show me those videos with gloves on. It works fine bare handed, but with gloves on it isn't so easy.

We donate primary because it is a known breathing regulator and in an emergency situation that is important. The hose routing is also a lot better with the super short hoses on the secondaries to the bungee. You can also get to your secondary without using your hands if you have to for whatever reason. Also no fumbling around trying to find the octo which has been stuck somewhere and may or may not be floating around behind you caught on something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom