Dive Rite Transpac vs. Halcyon Traveler Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghanu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All of my diving is south Florida with 3 mil and HP100 12# weight. I have been researching some basic rear flotation packages and I think I have boiled it down to DR Transpac with 35# wing or the Halcyon Traveler with 30#. I really like the DR Travelpac but it only comes with 25# wing and I think I would like more than that in case I come up in rough seas, but it is not modular. My two choices are within $100 in price so pricing isn't the issue. I am intrigued by the polymer plate on the H and I believe it would be more configurable than the DR. Also, the DR seems like it would be a bit more floaty than the H due to the all fabric design. Those seem to be my two deciding factors at this point. Any thoughts?

If your concern is the Dive Rite being more "floaty," why are you looking at either of these as opposed to a standard backplate and wing? People typically choose lightweight systems for air travel where dry weight is important, and accept that they will need to add more weight in the form of lead when they get to their destination. If this isn't the intended use, there's really no reason to go to a lightweight system when a normal aluminum or steel backplate will allow you to dive with less supplementary weight. This opens up quite a few more options.

If your concern is the Dive Rite being more "floaty," why are you looking at either of these as opposed to a standard backplate and wing? People typically choose lightweight systems for air travel where dry weight is important, and accept that they will need to add more weight in the form of lead when they get to their destination. If this isn't the intended use, there's really no reason to go to a lightweight system when a normal aluminum or steel backplate will allow you to dive with less supplementary weight. This opens up quite a few more options.

Agreed - I had the Traveler ( for travel ) and decided I preferred a traditional aluminum plate for warm water. If I were diving at home the Traveler would not be my first choice. Depending on how much weight I needed I would choose a traditional plate made with Aluminum 2lbs or SS 6lbs. There is a bit of a process fussing with the weight pockets on the Traveler that may be worth it for travel to destinations when 1 lb of weight is important but for everyday use from car to boat a traditional plate is a better choice imo. With 12# weight needed a SS Halcyon BP with a 30# Eclipse wing would be hard to beat. Use 1 weighted bellows pocket on the right side with 2 lbs ditchable and lots of room for storage. Use one quick release weight pocket with D Ring on the left with 2 lbs ditchable. Plate 6# + ditchable lead 4# + STA, cam buckles and regs, ..., 2# get you to 12 streamlined lbs.

No experience with Halcyon, but I dive a Transpac w/ voyager wing... I took off the backpad and shoulder pads and now it's not nearly as floaty... I really like it, if I was starting over I'd probably look into a hard plate but I see no reason to switch... my wife LOVES her Transpac (with all the padding) and I'm pretty sure I'd have to dynamite her out of it...she will tell you it completely transformed her diving compared to her original BC ( Seaquest Diva)...YMMV...

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of not needing an STA with the Traveler, if I go with an aluminum plate it would not be Halcyon for that reason. Maybe OMS which doesn’t need an STA.

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of not needing an STA with the Traveler, if I go with an aluminum plate it would not be Halcyon for that reason. Maybe OMS which doesn’t need an STA.
fyi - Halcyon makes a new Carbon Fiber Plus plate that includes the cinch system and slots for cam straps as well. I believe they have a wing with cam slots as well but I can't find it on their web site.

That looks pretty nice and with the built in cinch system and STA. Halcyon wings don’t have cam band slots so which wing would go with it?

That looks pretty nice and with the built in cinch system and STA. Halcyon wings don’t have cam band slots so which wing would go with it?
I have seen a picture of the new Carbon + Plate with a Halcyon wing that has cam slots but I am not sure where. Fairly sure they are making one to go with the new plate. I will give them a call tomorrow because I am interested myself. I found a regular carbon plate that was on sale and bought it just because it looked so good. Thinking I will replace my warm water aluminum plate with it.

You can get Halcyon wings with the cam band slots now. Been available for awhile. Been trying to decide if it's worth it to sell one of my Eclipse and replace with a newer model with slots to save the STA weight on long air trips.

Still undecided.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.55.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.55.37 PM.png
    253.4 KB · Views: 53
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom