Dive Rite Transplate vs Apeks WTX Deluxe, Help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Everybody here was so helpful on my last question, and I thank you.
I decided against the SP series all together, and am now looking at the Dive Rite Transplate harness and stainless BP and like it quite a bit. But then was shown the APEKS WTX harness yesterday. They both have merits but I'm leery of the Apeks setup for a single tank that doesn't use a back plate. I will diving with a single tank untill I get more gear and training for doubles and tech, and am really leaning towards a traditional back plate. I know these aren't the most basic harnesses as many of you have suggested (thank you again). The reason i'm leaning towards the "fancier" harnesses is that I don't really know what I will end up with for a final set-up and want options to be able to change things around. After that, I'm sure I will be switching the config back and forth single to double etc. as my diving dictates. I'm really looking for a BP/W that is very versatile and just am having trouble deciding between all the options out there. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

For doubles you will need a hard plate, singles it doesn't really matter. The Apeks has the ability to put a hard plate inside but it's way too expensive. Try the dive-rite basic harness first and if you don't like it then worst case you spent 40 bucks in webbing and hardware. Many tech agencies now a days require a simple basic harness. A simple harness is fitted to you and will always be the same. The "deluxe style" harnesses, you have to adjust the fit every time you put it on. There is a reason we suggest the simple one, most of the time it's better.

With your aspirations scrap the fancy stuff, go with a basic harness and bp/w. The beauty is that the core configuration is the same for singles, doubles, and will grow with you as you progress in diving. The fancier harnesses often look more attractive to new divers but its just an illusion, in reality they are limiting.

Don't waste your $$, get a basic harness BP/W and don't look back.

You may also want to consider Deep Sea Supply, I've been diving their stuff for nearly 10 years - great equipment. Give the owner, Tobin, a call he's always happy to lend advice and set you up with exactly what you need.

Most on this board will advise you to go basic hogarthian harness style...
That being said, I dive a transplate harness and love it. I haven't dove the apeks, but I dive doubles, so I am better off with a hard plate.

I just migrated away from a BCD to a bp/w setup. I'm the kind of person that approaches a problem like this by buying a bunch of similar stuff, trying it out, then selling the stuff I'm not crazy about. I bought the Apeks WTX harness. I'm not crazy about it. In fact, I'd prefer my BCD to it. It's way less versatile than just a backplate when it comes to accepting wings. And I guess you have to buy an Apeks backplate if you want all the holes to line up. I put my Dive Rite backplate in there and the holes didn't all line up w. the harness, so it just "free floated" in the pocket. Couldn't put sex bolts through it. And the tank straps go thorough webbing on the back of the harness, instead of through the backplate. So you don't get the stability of having tanks tightly attached to a solid metal plate, which for me is probably the biggest advantage of a backplate. The fact that these harnesses are expensive is the final kicker.

I haven't tried the Dive Rite Transplate, but I did buy the Hollis Elite II harness (The Hollis is the real competitor to the Transplate, not the WTX harness.). It's definitely an improvement over the WTX harness, but still a bit more than necessary. I'm sure others recommended beforehand that you should skip everything and just go w. a one-piece webbing. I can't disagree that this is ultimately the best way to go (if for no other reason it is less expensive), but for me at this point you're really only splitting hairs. The Transplate or Elite II harnesses are significant improvements over the WTX, but the simple one-piece webbing, IMO, is not as much of an improvement over the aforementioned harnesses. To me what's important is that you have a true bp/w setup, which these harnesses do offer.

I went through exactly the same process you're going through, as have many others. You just can't quite buy in to the idea that just a simple bp/w is the best option. I'm not fanatical about the bp/w setup the way others are on here, but I would gently nudge someone towards it. It's not a "revelation" for me; it's just a nice improvement. But if it's better, why not adopt it? And if you want versatility, the bp/w is the way to go. There pretty much isn't an instance that I'm working w. my rig that I don't think of some new way to arrange or adjust it. I'm amazed at the things I've come up w. on my own. I can only imagine the things I would find if I researched it.

By the way, the setup I'm leaning towards is a ss bp w. a 32lb wing w. a simple webbing setup w. neoprene shoulder pads and integrated weight pockets.

Bopper, thank you for your perspective, you've been an immense help. I felt like I was getting "strong armed" into the Apeks and that didn't sit well with me. I'm really learning a lot here, my financials won't allow me to make too many mistakes with expensive purchases so I'm very happy to listen to what everybody here has to say. I appreciate everybody's input, please let me know what you all think. BTW, the Apeks is out lol.

I JUST got the transplate w/ stainless BP. I haven't even gotten it in the water yet. But it's super adjustable and very comfortable even w/o a wetsuit. I plan on adding a crotch strap, though when tightened down, it's VERY snug and doesn't seem like it'd move around, for like another $10, it's worth the insurance. I don't regret getting the transplate over a basic in the least

Since OP mention double, I suggest going with a hard plate. And even if you need to change things around, go with basic harness first. If you really find you need more adjustability later, then spend the money on the fancy harness. Chances are you won't go there.

I started with the thought like yours, went with transplate. I used it for 2 years, and liked it. It took a lot of convincing for me to try out basic harness. And once I did, I stayed there. As for comfort, you will be surprised, even without all the padding, basic harness is MORE comfortable even in t-short. And amount a couple comfort harnesses I have used, transplate is actually one of the lesser comfortable one. The main issue is the should pad design. They are too wide and too stiff. They keep cutting onto my neck.

I'm really learning a lot here, my financials won't allow me to make too many mistakes with expensive purchases so I'm very happy to listen to what everybody here has to say.

When I say I buy a lot of gear, I should add that it is always used. I can't afford to be buying new gear either. I might take a hit when I sell it, but oftentimes I can also get my money back or even make a profit.

You can put together a basic harness including crotch strap for about $30-$35. Diverite transplate harness goes for $130 without a crotch strap. Later, if you decide to switch to tranplate, the crotch strap can be re-used. So you waste $20 at most. In fact, most of the hardware will be useful later. If cost matter, this is the most safe way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom