Dive Safety In Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titan

Registered
Reaction score
OK, the idea for this thread is to discuss the sorts of improvements we would like to see in Boat operations, with a view to proposing a possible standard at some point in the future. For those of you who've not been keeping up or are new, this thread has grown out of "Diving Rules". Check there for some history.

Mar Scuba has kicked this off with :-

Among the discussion should be Oxygen kits, first air training, Emergency action plans, safety equipment (life jackets, SOLAS gear, radios and SOS protocol) on boats, detailed briefing with emergency procedures, proper boat handling and procedures for ascending from a dive, etc.

I'll add some ideas of mine when I'm a little less stretched, I actually have to work today, and my boss is probably reading this !

Titan

I'm sure that Titan's boss will have some useful contributions.

DAN O2 Provider Oxygen Kits

I have only seen one dive service in Osezaki with an oxygen set, although I haven't been there in a while. It was attached to a non rebreather mask, and appeared to be what you would get at the hospital. No demand valve, and only looked like it could facilitate one diver.

Future plans for Mar Scuba will be the acqusition of a Japan-legal DAN O2 kit. Won't be able to get delivery until after Obon holidays.

First Aid Training

I figure that there are more divers out there trained for CPR/first aid than there are in the general public, because the EFR course is a requirement to obtain the Rescue certification.

However, the mindset of Japanese divers to step in and handle a situation is still lacking. A couple of gaijin instructors have told me about a few situations where several Japanese DMs and instructors were standing around trying to figure out what to do and the gaijin instructor walked up and took charge. I pray that in an emergency situation, I will be able to step up to the plate and take control, handle the situation, and let me training kick in.

Safety Equipment

Before I start this, I should preface it by saying that one dive service we use is actually decent about this, but not good about conveying it to customers. On the Boat elective dive of the Adventures in Diving course, I point out where the safety equipment such as life jackets and cell phone (no radio) is on the dedicated dive boat we use. However, most other dive services use fishing boats.

I would like to see other equipment (even simple stuff like a pair of binoculars!) on board.

A laminated card with emergency procedures (how to call SOS, how to use the radio, what number to dial) would be a step in the right direction.

Safe Ascents

Titan can relate his "almost getting a haircut" dive stories later, but the main question is, how does the captain see the divers? Bubbles are a telltale sign, but from the cockpit to the bow, they are difficult to see.

Our last captain, a young man, backed up to the mooring buoy, but neglected to see that there were divers on a safety stop.

The "Divesafe Boat" certification would be a certain step in the right direction.

I say that it would be a free cert., but Titan says that the boat captains should pay.

I will let Titan give his 2 yen regarding PADI Japan and their efforts or lack thereof regarding safety.

Regarding boat safety and equipment; this should be a requirement from us paying customers and a law for the Coastguard implement I guess. So the more pressure we can put on boat operators and DAN, PADI & others the better. How do we do that? Start asking for O2 kits, safety procedures etc? Why not?

We always have SMBs, and Hugh and me often legal 02 tanks w non-rebreather masks - when someone is driving to the site. Medical use 2L 02 tanks are cheap and can be refilled for 2000 yen. Shishihama have a big one but besides that I have never seen any at the divesites here. Scary...

Does anyone know if there is a database here with dive accidents? Reviewing that and writing something may be a good eye-opener of the problem.

Thomas

TJO:
Does anyone know if there is a database here with dive accidents? Reviewing that and writing something may be a good eye-opener of the problem.
I don't know if there is a database - but if there is I'd be quite wary about using it. If the Japanese authorities get the idea that scuba is dangerous and causing a lot of accidents then I could easily see them introducing restrictive legislation that would do more harm than good.
All the diving that I know about in Kyushu is from beaches - so we don't have the problems with boats that are being described in Izu. Trying to get basic safety gear onto the boats sounds like a good plan. Also ensuring that at least someone who is of DM level remains on the boat while divers are in the water - and is in charge - also sounds good. If that means that the boat captain must be a DM - it would be good, but IMO not essential. What is essential is that an ordinairy boat captain should defer authority to the Dive Master while there are divers down.

KimLeece:
All the diving that I know about in Kyushu is from beaches -

Kim brings up a valid point...
I'd say that most of the diving in Izu is from shore as well, so why not include your safety survey/requirements to those sites as well. Many of the important items/procedures you mentioned in the original posts would pertain to shore entry sites as well (action plans, oxygen, etc, and where all this stuff is).

Also, the issue of langauge is a significant one. For all I know, it is entirely possible that at the places I dive, procedures and items are labeleld in huge bold (but to me illegible) Kanji. Don't think it is the responsability of the operator to have it all translated, but might be good to post some of the more common kanji/Japanese terms for the protocols and safety items we are talking about posted on a website somewhere (perhaps Mar Scuba or another org would volunteer the space...)

JAG, that is exactly my point. There are none.

Those kanji you see posted are warnings not to take shellfish or game (fish).

In no case was I limiting it to boat dives, but most of the safety equipment for dive vessels is strictly regulated in the USA by the Coast Guard.

For all sites we will have Emergency Action Plans, and in the future I plan to include simple Japanese on the card just in case the DM does not speak Japanese fluently, or if one of the other divers must call.

O2 kit is coming, First Aid kit already available.

Thomas must absolutely have O2 available because he's doing deco dives.

DAN Japan has a yearly report of the diving accidents in Japan.

Here is a government report on marine accidents involving sport fishermen, boaters, beachgoers, and scuba divers: 2004 Kaiho Report

However, many times accidents are not reported, covered up, etc. due to fear of bad publicity.

Out of the 27 scuba diving accidents reported in the above Report, there were 4 deaths.

DAN Japan also issues a yearly report on DCS (DCI and CAGE) as well as scuba diving accidents.

Revision: Here is the report for the first part of the year.

One diver was reported missing in Hayama, according to the Yomiuri Shimbun. It was basically a diver going solo after his buddy called the dive.

Mar Scuba:
One diver was reported missing in Hayama, according to the Yomiuri Shimbun. It was basically a diver going solo after his buddy called the dive.
:11: Don't tell jagfish that - he loves solo!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom