Dive Shop/Boat in Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Melbourne next weekend. Please recommend a dive shop with a boat for a Saturday morning two-tank dive.

I've got my own personal gear, but I'll need to rent wetsuit, BCD, regulator and tanks.

What's the water temperature at this time of year?

It was about 20-21 degrees a couple of weekends ago, very similar to Sydney temps at the moment. You will basically have to go down to somewhere like Portsea or Queenscliff, which are around 100kms south of Melbourne, and dive Port Philip Bay. I went down to Portsea, and out with Dive Victoria, and found them very good, but there are several other dive stores down there, all of which seem to get positive comments from people. Have not heard anything dreadful about any of them. Also depends on what you want to do - there are some wrecks, some walls and lots of drift dives, and timings are very tight because the diving is very tidal. Some people also combine a dive with snorkelling with the seals in the bay.

Look in Victoria dive stores directory on Diveoz.com.au, or dive victoria's site is www.divevictoria.com.au.

And if you have a little air in your tank when you come back from the boat dive, jump off Portsea Pier and have a look around - lots of macro life in about 3-4 metres of water - great for photography - I got some excellent weedy seadragon pictures !

Is there any decent diving in the immediate vicinity of Melbourne? I'll only be there for a couple of days and I don't plan on renting a car.

If not, maybe I should hold off. I'll be going to Fremantle after Melbourne. If I fly to Fremantle on Saturday instead of Sunday, I can dive there on my "day off".

Would that be better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom