Question Buy A Regulator in Australia to Save $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am contemplating buying a regulator, octo, hoses, and gauges, but the U.S. prices are insanely high and just continue to go up. I am outfitted with everything I need except a regulator. I've been renting for years but want to explore an out-of-the-U.S. purchase to save money. I'll be in Sydney, Australia, next month. For anyone living in Sydney, maybe you can answer this for me.
Are the gauges for sale configured in bars and meters or pounds and feet?
What brands are available over there? I'd need to be able to get maintenance service in the U.S.
Is the gear sold only for cold water diving? I'm strictly a warm water diver in tropical locations.

I'll post this in the equipment forum, too.

OK I'm in Melbourne but the answers will be the same for Sydney..
1) Analogue gauges are in BAR and Metres, have been for decades... you won't find any imperial gauges for sale unless vintage second hand
2) Most major US and EU brands are supported, there are a number of online stores that have sales esp at Easter
As a US citizen you will be able to claim a 10% GST refund at the airport as you leave Australia.
3) Gear is not specifically sold for cold water diving, the bigger stores like Adreno SCUBA have a full range from tropical shorties to 3mm steamers to drysuits.

australia won't save you money. look at dgx or hog instead. or just get something shipped from europe.

DM sent.

Whatever would make you think that it's cheaper to buy gear here than in the US? It's often cheaper for me to buy from the US and get it sent over here!

I just recently went looking for a new Nauticam housing and had friends visiting the US, so thought I'd get them to buy it for me while over there, after looking at the prices with the exchange rate it turned out that I could buy it cheaper locally in AU then it would cost me in the US, the price difference was considerable and I hadn't even consider US sales tax at that point.

This was also the similar when I bought my first Shearwater Teric several years ago, when availability in AU was basically zero. I was visiting LA so I bought one there and it worked out to be no cheaper then what I would have paid in AU. If I had ordered from the US and had it shipped it would have shipping costs added so would have been dearer still!

The US seems to have become expensive (I assume it has something to do with when Trump was president he increase taxes on imports into the country and it has jacked up the prices on a lot of things manufactured outside the country.

And unlike Australia, the US does not allow you to claim sales tax back.

Oh, and don't forget, out exchange rate sucks, so for an US citizen to shop in AU they are getting better value for their dollar, and then we give 10% back.

Whatever would make you think that it's cheaper to buy gear here than in the US?
The parts I have bought from the US cheaper over the years were motorcycle parts, Japanese and HD parts, I had an account for bike parts in Florida, one third the cost with postage [which was also quicker], did that for years, 7 Jap bikes and one HD. Off topic....But.

SCUBA gear I have bought very little from over there, and when I did, postage was cruel $$, never again....But.
I would fork-out for a Freedom Plate though. :giggle: Hint.

Don't go cheap for life support gears, such as regulator. You want the best. Your life depends on it. Cry once, but you have peace of mind for the rest of your life. I have only ONE 1st stage regulator, Scubapro MK25 for 19 years, made to 1641 dives with it. I just send it out to my LDS for service once every two years.

australia won't save you money. look at dgx or hog instead. or just get something shipped from europe.

You say that but we can buy Apeks, Mares and Dive Rite for cheaper than dgx sells them. After you claim the 10% TRS they're looking pretty darn cheap by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom