Dive Shop Discusions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dae

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here :) I'm ready to take classes. I haven't actually gone and visited/talked to the local dive shops yet - that's my next step. I was wondering tho, are there any websites out there that ppl talk about their local dive shops? I haven't found any for my local places yet (Washington, DC area), but I'm still looking!

TIA,
Ron

While I can not answer your specific question about the DC area, I am sure we have some on this board that can! But.... while I have your attention, I would like to welcome you to the best board, SCUBA or otherwise on the Net!!! Welcome aboard, and I hope you meet as many great people here and learn as much as I have!

Let me greet you and welcome you from ARIZONA

Try www.scubadirectory.com or the yellow pages I would recomend going to several shops and ask around get familair with each and make your decision on who you want to be trained by.

I have done business with three shops here and the one that is my Local Dive Shop is by far the BEST that I know of and this website is be far the VERY BEST

I know there are a few in the Annapolis area. Don't ask me the names though. Once you find them (the link Fishkiller gave you is great!) just go to each one and see which you feel comfortable with. Some may just be out to make a sale, but if you find yourself staying in the shop chatting for 1/2 hour about diving and other stuff....you found your shop!

From past experiences.

Don't tell any shop you go to that you have been to another shop.

Do your homework before you go to any shop and ask questions, you might be surprised at some of the answers you get. This Board is the best source for your questions before entering ANY shop.

Speak directly to an instructor, not just somebody behind the counter.

Hope these help and OBTW welcome to the Board.

ID

:wave: Hi and welcome to the boards.
Visit all the local shops you can find.
We found our favorite when one night after checking out 4 shops close to home (each one had something about it I didn't like). We called a shop that was farther away. The person I talked to was about to close but said he would wait for us. A half hour later we arrived, It turned out that he was the owner and one of the Instructors. Three hours later we were still there talking! Since then we have trained and bought most of our equipment there. They continue to be more helpful than the other shops I've seen, and we have become freinds. They will go out of their way to get me what I want. Rather than trying to sell me something I don't want.

Good luck! let us know how you make out.

...for all the responses. I checked out scubadirectory.com and managed to find a few more local places that I didn't know about. Not having actually visited any of them, just checking out websites, there are some places I definately want to visit, and some that I think are better left alone :)

What I was thinking about is, a message board area wherein people talk about local dive shops they go to (no one made any votes for my local places on scubadirectory). Talk about good and bad experiences - stuff like that. The downfall of something like that is that it usually turns into a place for people to vent about the bad stuff. Oh well, I'm gonna try to start visiting my local places tomorrow. Hopefully some instructors will be there to chat with. I've been doing a lot of reading, especially at diverlink, about what to look for and what to ask.

Wish me luck in my travels! (I know, you already have! :D)

Hi, DO take the time and talk to divers who certified with dive shops that you might be interested in. You may not get the truth from the dive shop itself. My wife and I decided on a shop in Dale City, mostly because it is located only minutes from our home. The owner took plenty of time with us before we signed up. After that it went into a nightmare. While I had no problems with my gear my wife's mask did not fit properly, the instructor did not take the time to get that fixed and from the first class on she fell behind and was not properly trained. By the time we went to the open water certification she still had a badly leaking mask. The dive shop in the meantime did nothing to remedy the problem. I got my certification within a few weeks. my wife was not that lucky. Our first class was in March, by September she still was not certified. The instructor and the dive shop came up with numerous excuses and weeks of "we're not going out, so you won't be certified. Yet every time I went to the Haymarket quarry I saw the dive instructor who had "no time" to spend with my wife for her open water certification. We lost valuable time on our vacation in the Caribbean to finally get her certified.
While I had complained to the dive shop owner, I did not get any help but he of course took the instructors side in the debate.
We also called SSI and they in turn told us that they have no control over the dive shops. (PISSPOOR). Not only did we lose money for a mask with prescription lenses but we also had to pay for certification on the island. I am currently looking for legal help with this dive shop.
On the other hand however, there is a dive shop in Alexandria on Route1 who has been very helpful, knowledgeable and most of all they send plenty of instructors out to "open water certify" their students. Maybe that is why they have a lot of customers and the backyard joint in Dale City has not.
Once again, TALK TO THE STUDENTS if you can, they should give you a more honest answer than someone who is interested in making a buck.

Thats exactly what I'm TRYING to avoid! I forget the name right now, but that place off of Rt. 1 is next on my visit list. I stopped by Splash in Alexandria the other day. Talked to one of the owners and two other guys. Everyone there seemed nice, helpfull, answered all my questions. Sounds like that's how you started out! Thanks why I asked about a discussion area for dive shops.

The search for the "perfect place" goes on :)

Thanks

There's a dive shop in Baltimore "Diver's Den" (Harford Road) that seemed to be easy to have a chat about things.
I totally agree with the comment made about not feeling rushed when you first start.
When profit seems to be more important than learning in the right way, it will make you unnecessarily anxious.
It all depends on your character too.
I learnt with a Japanese instructor in Thailand and, although he was hard to understand at times, he was cool and explained most things very well. This was before the days of video learning.
Best of luck and "happy bubbles":)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom