Dive shop question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pudsky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am headed on vacation later this year and am in communication with a dive shop. I need to provide them with a deposit to confirm my spot for an Advanced course. They asked me to email them a copy of both sides of my credit card, as well as a copy of my drivers license, to verify my signature. My question is if this is standard procedure. I am not sure if I feel comfortable just emailing my credit card info like that?

I would like to get some info from other divers who maybe have experienced this also. Your thoughts and suggestions and what you may have done will be helpful for me.

Thanks,
Pudsky

I've had several odd requests like this, especially in the Mexico and then again in the Philippines, usually it has to do with a company that is remote, or avoiding banking fees, I have always managed to send the deposit through western union or moneygram as an alternative. I'm not keen on emailing that much info to anyone either. Good Luck! Have a great trip....

I have had a vendor ask for my Visa number, Expiry date, full name on card and 3 digit security code on the back. I called Visa and asked if they were trying to scam me and they replied by saying "some vendors like to verify the card with the 3 digit security number as that is what it is there for. Visa also has fraud prevention so its covered by insurance if something were to happen..." I personally would not give them a photo copy of the card along with my drivers licence as that seems a bit extreme to me. They should be able to run the numbers and name on the card to verify that it is legitimate in conjunction with the 3 digit security code on the back.

My brothers identity has been stolen twice, my other brother has had it happen once as with my step father. I don't like to take chances with this sort of stuff because I just don't want to deal with that hassle. I would suggest contacting your credit card company and inquiring with them to see what they suggest.

Have a great vacation!
Patrick

I wouldn't be comfortable e-mailing that stuff to even a place in the USA. With that information right there people can start ordering stuff online as they have your number, security code and billing address.

On the other hand a lot of countries have different standards in credit card processing. Some places can't charge credit cards without it being swiped to show it's in their physical possession. This may be a process that they have to go through.

I would suggest asking for their merchant account provider to contact them to see if the company is in good standings, but this wouldn't work either because they'd be using the card at other places, not on their own account. So the best thing to do would probably be call your credit card company to see what you can do, but I'd stay away from sending any pictures.

Nathan

Never, EVER, Xerox your credit card. Most reputable companies wouldn't even ask for a photocopy.

I worked for a place in Costa Rica and it was standard proceedure to request that info in order to hold the reservation. The problem is that a company needs to be sure of what is happening in order to successfuly shedule resources etc and in resport type environments it is easy for customers to have some kind of reason why they do not actually turn up on the day in spite of their booking (please do not take this as a personal attack, it is just the reality that it happens) which means that the people that had been turned away leading up to the date are lost to other stores and the spaces on the boat go unfilled.

The information was kept in a safe place then shredded by the owner periodically so this was all 100% legitimate however I do remember thinking at the time that I would probably not be that comfortable giving that ammount of information to someone I had never met.

If you really want the reservation but without divulging the information then why not contact them and ask if you can make an advance payment somehow?

Bear in mind many countries can not use paypal but international bank transfers are possible from most banks

Note that it's very common to give a credit card number and code over the phone or on a secure website to buy stuff or make reservations. It was given over the phone to buy or reserve things all the time pre-net. So giving this info in advance is probably something you've done lots of times. If you were there doing it in person they would have all this same information. In all cases you are trusting that you are dealing with legit folks who are careful.

When it's a situation people are trying to avoid long distance phone calls, and the business has not set up their website to take a credit card number securely, this is another way of submitting the info. Plus it might discourage someone who just has a stolen number and doesn't actually have the card in their possession. I'm not sure how secure emailing an image is but it's certainly more secure than emailing the info in clear text.

As far as a copy of the drivers license, I'm personally more uncomfortable with doing that too. I understand why they want it but it's a little different than just flashing it to someone at point of sale.

All that said, I use unique individually generated numbers whenever possible, and sending an image of the card just isn't possible when I do that. I find that when I explain what I'm doing and why, people are generally more interested in having my business and will be flexible.

Thanks for the replies. I am not worried about the deposit, I know they need some form of guarantee to schedule the class for me. Themonly thing I'm concerned with is emailing the images of my cc and id. I'll wait till I hear back from them and decide what to do.

Definitely do not provide copies of your credit card, especially not in conjunction with identification, no matter who's asking for it.

Wire them money, if you think it's safe, but I'd suggest waiting until you get there and verify the business is actually a business, not just a scam.

Gotta agree, no way I've giving them 90 percent of the information needed to steal my identity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom