Dive Shop recommedations in Melbourne/Sebastian/Vero area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billblack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi y'all,
I live in Sebastian and want to get my OW cert done during July. I'd like to solicit some opinions on which shop to choose for quality instruction/decent equipment prices/nice folks to associate with for a "home" dive shop.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
<btw> I'm based out of Sebastian, 26 foot twin engine cat boat..and will be looking for dive partners when I get certified.
Thanks for any input,
bill

The only dive shop that I ever visited up there is that shop on US1 just a little north of Captain Hiram's and south of Wal-Mart. They probably do more surfing stuff than dive stuff, but it still was a NAUI shop. There were no dive charter boats running up there so I just rented a boat at Captain Hiram's.
Get certified. Sebastian is a little far to take my boat even on a trailer. I'd drive up for some lobstering though, espcially with Squid Lips at the Fins Marina running again.

Three dive shops service the Melbourne, FL area

Hatts Diving Headquarters
2006 S. Front Street
Melbourne, FL
(321)723-5932

- PADI 5 Star Training Facility
- Heated Pool on premises
- Dealer for Scubapro, Sherwood, Zeagle and various diving accessories
- Air and Nitrox Fills, Nitrox fills by partial pressure blending
- Refrigerated water bath for air and nitrox fills
- Hydrostatic testing center on premises
- PADI Training

Sea Level Scuba (www.sealevelscuba.com)
1701 N. Wickham Road (Aurora Plaza)
Melbourne, FL 32935
(321)255-1825

- Pool not on premises, owner uses his home pool for pool sessions.
- Dealer for Scubapro and Halcyon and various diving accessories
- Air and Nitrox Fills, Nitrox fills by using membrane system
- PADI and SSI Training

Dixie Divers (www.jndscuba.com)
- Pool not on premises
- Dealer for Aqua Lung, Apeks, Seaquest, Deep See and Oceanic Equipment
- Air and Nitrox fills, Nitrox by partial pressure blending
- PADI Training

Each shop has its own flavor and personality.

billblack:
Hi y'all,
I live in Sebastian and want to get my OW cert done during July. I'd like to solicit some opinions on which shop to choose for quality instruction/decent equipment prices/nice folks to associate with for a "home" dive shop.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
<btw> I'm based out of Sebastian, 26 foot twin engine cat boat..and will be looking for dive partners when I get certified.
Thanks for any input,
bill
Woo hoo!! A Kansas in FL. I'm originally from Topeka, and now live in Vero Beach. I'd look at the shops in Melbourne. Honestly...I was under impressed with the shop in Vero. But I've heard the instructors associated with the shop are good. Looking forward to hearing your cert stories. I'm always up for diving!

Ed Jewell:
Each shop has its own flavor and personality.

That's a good way of phrasing it... I made a similary comment several years ago, and it got twisted out of proportion... Talk to me privately, and I'll tell you the story...

Sea Level is now using a pool at one of the motels on 192.. The last class I taught for Sea Level, we did the pool sessions at the owner's home.

The July class at Sea Level started last Monday. The O/W sessions are on the weekend of the 22nd. The next class starts on 24 July...

When pricing classes... ask about what is really included.. not only the price... but ask about books... lodging... where the O/W dives will be... etc... what is really required.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I went to 4 different shops and while I found them all to be fine folks and helpful in every way, I decided to do my OW at Hatt's in Melbourne. I did the bookwork and pool work last fall in Kansas, but my OW was to be the same weekend that Wilma landed on Sebastian. My wife was living here alone at the time and it didn't seem to me (or her) that I should be diving in Arkansas while she sat through her first hurricane. SO...I'll have a VERY good grounding in the basics!
Class starts the 11th, so, I'll be studying the book in addition to my summer Statistics class from now till then. I wish they could make statistics as interesting as the PADI book.
Thanks again, and I'll be looking forward to meeting some of you.
:)

Bill,

Welcome to the neighborhood! I live in Sebastian also. I got my AOW and Nitrox cards with Sebastian Dive and Surf. Steve is a decent operator and a good instructor. He serves up the NAUI certifications. There is also another NAUI instructor in town and has his own boat, I think he is called Frogman divers and operates out of his home.

I mostly deal with Hatts because I pass them on my way to and from work. I don't deal with the Vero shop.

Be sure to check out the Down Under Dive Club, I'm also a member.

billblack:
I did the bookwork and pool work last fall in Kansas, but my OW was to be the same weekend that Wilma landed on Sebastian.

Why do the pool and book work over? Have your old dive shop send a referral.

billblack:
I'll be looking forward to meeting some of you.

Swing by the Down Under Dive Club meeting next Wednesday. It's our annual ice cream social, and we'll be talking about our recent trip to Bonaire...

Bill,

Welcome to SB and SCUBA. I also live in Sebastian near the airport. Maybe I'll see you at the DUDC meeting next week. I have used Hatt's for years. Although I did not get my cert through them. I used a private instructor. :) Walter is my brother and taught Donna and I both to dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom