Dive sites for new divers in the Tampa, FL area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I will be doing our OW cert dives in Crystal River in a couple of weeks, we'll stay in the area for about a week afterwards, before coming home in NC.

We'd like to dive once or twice after earning the cert, I asked the great Google Mind about this and the list of results was long and distinguished. I would appreciate recommendations for places to go to (or to avoid). We'll need to rent the equipment as well.

Even though the cert dives will be in Crystal River, we'll be staying near Clearwater.

Thanks...

Go East!

Seriously go to the Atlantic, and do West Palm Beach. West Palm is guided and tends to be some of the shallower of dives along the mainland (40-65' ft). An even mellower spot is Key Largo and that is a great option but maybe farther than you want to travel. If you can spend a night in Key Largo do it. Just make sure you call a dive shop and confirm the conditions before driving down.

The West coast has poor vis at least until you get out a ways into the Gulf, and there are no coral reefs. Its worth the drive East. If you are looking to save money shore diving LBTS (Lauderdale by the Sea) is an option, but you would need someone to show you the ropes. A boat dive is the way to go as if you do it on the mainland it will be guided. In the Keys Rainbow Reef provides guided divers at no charge.

Have fun

if you want to stay near Tampa, dive the springs, like Crystal River. It is much clearer than the west coast ocean, and you maybe late enough to dive with the manatees. I'm sure you will get good advice from locals.

By the way, I can move this to the FL forum if you like. It can go here or there, not both. Just let me know.

Go East!

Seriously go to the Atlantic, and do West Palm Beach. West Palm is guided and tends to be some of the shallower of dives along the mainland (40-65' ft). An even mellower spot is Key Largo and that is a great option but maybe farther than you want to travel. If you can spend a night in Key Largo do it. Just make sure you call a dive shop and confirm the conditions before driving down.

Yes, Key Largo will be too far of a drive this time around. West Palm might work out though. Any recommendations for that area?

An easy dive in crystal clear water is a drift dive down the Rainbow River. I did a night dive there with American Pro, and liked it so much that we went back a couple of days later and did a day drift dive. Only this time to save some money we just hired a local guy with a pontoon boat to take us upstream and drop us off.

Yes, Key Largo will be too far of a drive this time around. West Palm might work out though. Any recommendations for that area?

It's a bit south from WPB, but if you're looking for something out that way, I just spent 2 days diving with Captain Todd of the American Dream II. Awesome time, paired me up with a local each day. Best dives of my (short) dive life... Can't wait to dive with him again. If you call him, tell him I referred you, he was dissing the Internet/ScubaBoard...
ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

PittCaleb

I'm from San Diego and was in Tampa on business and dove with Tanks a Lot dive charter out of Clearwater. Excellent dive and great service. Link is below.

/www.tanksalotdivecharter.com/Home_Page.php

Back
Top Bottom