Dive Sites in Central Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy!

I am part of the Texas A&M-College Station Scuba Club. Lately we have been going to the same basic dive sites, usually Blue Lagoon and Athens Scuba Park, but occasionally the Comal River to drift a bit...What recommendations do you have for sites in Texas? We are located in college station, but we are up for a road trip and/or overnight camping if its a longer drive!

The majority of our divers are only open water certified, but we have a range including several advanced open water certified, a few rescue certified members and a dive master candidate. Any suggestions for dive sites? Thank you in advance!!

The Fling does trips to the Flower Gardens out of Galveston. Several operators also run rig trips in the Gulf, Captain Beard Charters is a good one.

Aquarena Springs is near the Comal, but you have to take their course to gain access. Amazing diving and well worth it.

Clear Springs Scuba Park is near Terrell.
It has several things to dive on including an airplane fuselage and a sailboat plus several platforms.
It is cool even in summer. You will need a wetsuit. It is spring fed and I have sern near 50* in August at the bottom.
They have a fill station and camping.
They have a website but I am on my phone and linking is hard.

Lake Travis either Windy Point Park or Mansfield Dam

I'm from Chicago...what do you mean by *sharp* thermocline? I'm used to diving in a 7mm!

Abrupt thermoclines. Last August when I was last there it was 80-85 from the surface to 15'. At 15' it dropped to about 70 and was 70 from 15-24'. From 24' to 25' it dropped from 70 to 60. They are a sharp enough difference that we use them to control depth when practicing navigation.
I dove in a 5/4 and was comfortable, but if you want to go in the silo to 60' you will want a hood and gloves. It was 50* on the bottom of the silo with less than zero vis.

Their website has a link to current conditions including temps at different depths.

I used to dive at Balmorhea State Park. It's only 20' at max depth and is a bit of a drive from College Station...but it exists, and there's onsite camping available. Oh...and if you're into fish, it hosts an endangered species. Balmorhea State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Another interesting West Texas location is Dive Valhalla, outside Abilene. It's a flooded Atlas missile silo. Here's a link to the dive shop that owns the place: Family Scuba Center - Scuba Diving, Diving Instruction | Midland, TX

laketravisscuba.com - boat dives to lots of sites you can't reach from shore

2nd for laketravisscuba. I really enjoy it being an awesome way to score sunglasses, jewelry, boat anchors, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom