Dive sites north of Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heres some pics from the love boat scubab.jpgscubab2.jpgscubab3.jpgscubab4.jpg

CVCHIEF...here is a video from the 1 boat in front of Love Bar. There is a second boat about 250ft south of this one.

[vimeo]69221845[/vimeo]

Wow. That is cool. How deep is that? looks shallow. You rent tanks at Love? Wait... You had SCOOTERS??

The depth at the wrecks is shallow, around 36 feet. I brought the tanks. Yes we had scooters :)...... only takes about 4 minutes from shore to get to the wrecks and sometimes the currents are brisk in the area so they really help a lot. I use them often up north especially when the eagle rays are here.

OK Here goes, Aldora's Polar Express

While we do the love boats and several other sites south of Barracuda for our one tank afternoon dives from the Villa Aldora (35$), the ones north of Barracuda are most interesting. We have spent the last 6 months exploring and this is what we have found.

1. Barracuda Balones (Balloons)

Near Barracuda is a large group (maybe 25) of ball type coral heads the size of two story houses. Spaced apart by 10 to 50 feet they are separated by fine sand and some places like a mountain of sand. Generally not much current but all is pristine and lots of big lion fish. This is now a wall dive and bottoms are about 60 ft.

2. Ledges

This is a wall dive much like Barracuda but usually less current. Strikingly the wall does not drop straight down but goes in steps, or ledges which is a unique geological feature in Cozumel. 80 t0 120 ft finds lots of pristine stuff and of course the same sort of fish you might see at Barracuda

3. Kristal Reef

A shallow reef much like Delilah, but like most in the north, completely pristine. It is about 2 miles north of Barracuda.

4. Gato's Reef

This is way north and geographically odd like Ledges. Gatos reef consists of a number of bowl like depressions about 100 yards in diameter that are filled with all sorts of uniques corals and sponges. For those that like to hunt more than just Lion Fish this is the spot. Max Depth 80 feet.

5. Cameron's Reef

Close to shore it is a mini wall dropping from 15 ft to 30 ft and for sea life it is comparable to Paradise Reef...but you will never see anyone else there.

All 5 of these reefs are moderate in current and appropriate for virtually all divers but there are concerns about the remoteness and lack of support. For that reason we do have some special procedures. All divers will be issued a SMB and instructions on how to fill it...but only at the surface. The dive guides will have Nautilus emergency GPS Radios that can broadcast the exact location of the group. The boat we use, Aldora V has a VHF radio that can directly receive the coordinates of the Nautilus.

The Polar Express will leave from the Aldora Pier downtown and the Villa Aldora with the time to be determined. HP tanks will be used. Those diving with other shops are welcome to join us but we need a minimum of 4 divers to go, and in the Aldora Way...with a maximum of 6 on board.

MOre details will be on our web page soon.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

NOw on the Lake of Constance where most German Divers die!

What about Chino's Blue Coral?

Dear Sal,

Thanks, I forgot that one! Only Blue Coral we've ever seen. BTW, the only reason you have not been to many of these yet is that we are just now finalizing safety and procedural issues. But we are ready to go now.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'll be back in September and December. Would love to explore these reefs. :) I'll keep an eye out for more information. Thanks Dave.

Dave:

We'll be there in February and interested. If Sally is there and wants to go, we'll have four. This sounds great.

Thanks, Don! Planning to be here and ready to go. I HOPE I don't have to wait THAT long!!!
I've been told of at least one customer trip that went to the new sites, but I missed out. :idk:
Had the group of divers all ready to go another day, but the dedicated capi was unavailable. (Macado was ready to go in that group, too...)
I think they're just torturing me! (us)
It's a conspiracy, I tell ya! A conspiracy!!

Dave, have seen blue coral another spot in Cozumel, too. Will tell you about it when I see you... Good on Steve to make me notice what I am seeing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom