Dive sites suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I plan to visit Thailand with my girlfriend in february-march and would like some suggestions of sites or dive shops.

We are unexperienced OW divers (25 dives).
We don't like big dive shops and big boats where everything is rushed, unpersonnalized and sometimes even dangerous (bad experience in Egypt).
For these reasons, we prefer to avoid liveboards if possible, but we may be wrong.

We would like to visit two different places for two or three days of diving each.

First of all, it's great that you want to get over your unhappy experience by seeking out better ones on your next dive trip. If I recall an earlier thread of yours, you are planning to come in 2011, correct? I think you are wise to get more experience and confidence before trying a liveaboard, so you will want some daytrip diving.

Thailand has a lot of dive destinations, so your first decision is whether you want to come to the Andaman Sea side of the country or go to the Gulf of Thailand side. Both have pros and cons. In general, though, the Gulf side sees a greater percentage of backpackers, and thus has more crowded dive sites.

No matter where you go, you might consider hiring a private DM to dive with you, at least at first. That way you will receive the personalised service you want, even if you are on a boat with lots of other divers. Your DM should try to make sure you are calm and ready to splash in without too much rushing, and you won't be expected to keep up with a big group underwater. This alone can prevent a huge amount of stress!

for your timing I really reccomend you to dive on the Andaman sea. North from Phuket is Simalan area, south from phuket is Hin muang-Daeng Adang. You may stay at Phuket, Phangnga or the place nearby and the local dive shop there. I think the liveaboard will be the best choice for scuba diving here cos the traveling time from land to good divesite take a lot of time and too costly.

Between February and March I'd recommend the Andaman Sea, Krabi in particular. Conditions are fantastic and there are many options for diving - local islands, phi phi national park, shark point / king cruiser / Anemone Reef, Hin Daeng & Hin Muang, Ko Ha Yai Caverns... In Ao Nang most of the dive centers offer either big boat (very crowded so probably not for you) or longtail boat diving with just you a guide and a couple of other divers.

Aqua Vision in Ao Nang and Klong Muang beach have speedboat dive trips with a maximum of 4 diver per guide and no more than 12 divers on the (big) speedboat. Could be what you are looking for.

Is Similan islands possible for OW? How can we dive there if we don't like big crowded boats and liveaboard?

So, basically, which would be the two best places to dive for OW divers? For exemple, Similan islands (2 days) and Phi Phi (2 days).

I know there is many good answers, but I just want to get as many viewpoints as possible.

Yes, Similans is possible for open water divers. You can stay on the islands overnight, and be picked up in the morning by a diving boat.
Also Phi Phi is very well possible for open water divers.

To get away from big boats, you will want to look into speedboat diving in the Similans from Khao Lak, and perhaps to Phi Phi from Phuket.

You could also stay on one of the islands and do dives from smaller boats. Phi Phi is one option, and Koh Racha Yai is another. Both have easy diving.

South Thailand on the Andaman sea is by far the best diving in Thailand this time of year. Should you find yourself in the East of the country, the diving in Pattaya leaves a lot to be desired and the little extra effort required to travel to Koh Chang would be well worth it.

If you want to gain more experience consider doing your AOW and diving Pattaya. Contrary to what others say, it can be a very good dive experience. If it is your only destination others spots will certainly offer better vis. For training the AOW navigation dive will be more challenging and very good to develop skills/confidence in Pattaya IMO. The Hadeep is fantastic wreck at about 27-28m. PM if you want some advice or particulars.

There is good diving to be found throughout Thailand. If you want wrecks or close proximity to BKK Pattaya should not be overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom