Dive tank refill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is most likely a silly question. I am going on a dive trip in March - my tanks are stamped march and 2022 for vis inspection- is that good for refill iin March?

I think it is but would hate to get to florida and not be able to get them filled - Just questioning when the actual expiration date is.

Good to the end of the month punched out on the sticker.

thanks I thought that but wanted to make sure!

They shouldn't be stamped for visual inspection, only for hydro, VIP should be on a sticker.

Typically the stickers say "valid for one year from date punched" and most would consider that March-March vs. March-February. That said, VIP is an industry accepted norm vs. an actual requirement and some shops are really weird about it, particularly in South Florida. Will depend on the specific shop, always worth a call or email before hand to verify so you aren't surprised.

Edit: I will second what @CuzzA said right below me. If you're talking about AL80's especially then the cost of rental rarely exceeds the cost of the fills by more than a couple of dollars and better to let their tanks get in the salt and beat up on the dock/fill station. That's a bit of a do as I say not as I do since I almost exclusively dive doubles in the ocean if at all possible, even for 50ft reef bimble, but take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: Doc
If your flying don't bring tanks. It's cheaper and less hassle to rent at destination.

Stamped date on tanks is hydro thats good for 5 years. VIS is on a sticker that is punched out and is good for one year from date punched.

My local shops use the first of the month as the expiration date.
Our shop uses the end of the month. When I was in NY they said they'd fill it even though it wasn't stamped (they know me well). Apparently stickers in Canada & the U.S. differ some-- I showed them the year & month. If you are snowbirding like we used to I does make sense to bring your own tanks unless you want to rent every time. Of course, we drove). After a while I did leave them home and paid a "fee" of $40 to the shop to use two of their AL80s and treat them like my own for the 3 months (in otherwords, no time limit to return them after diving, etc. and kept them in our condo). Of course they knew me well also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom