Dive Team Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12 BCs in one diving group all failing at the same time? unless there is a fundamental design flaw with that model of BC, an issue that would have come to light many years ago given the likely number of units in use/sold = statistically improbable. 18kg sure sounds like a lot of weight. No disrespect intended but diving with a known non functioning inflator unit carrying that much weight is beyond stupid.

I must say Im surprised Zeagle hasn't checked them out for themselves, I know I certainly would if I was the manufacturer if for no other reason to ensure there is no design fault that may cause harm to other divers, or perhaps they have but just aren't saying. Still seems odd to me though.

Having said all that my condolences go out to family and friends. A sad day that didn't need to happen.

This is not the first time that I have heard of someone not ditching integrated weights and paying the
ultimate price. I will keep my old fashion weight belt thank you.....and snorkle.....guess I am just a chicken.

I dont think this is a issue between weight intergrated vs weight belt. There are many documented cases of of divers not releasing their weight belts and paying the ultimate price as well.​

As Jim Lapenta says earlier in this thread - their training sounds a little suspect. 40 pounds seems pretty high.
Also, their are a lot of divers doing jobs underwater that have no training for it.
About a year ago, my companies inshore division was contacted about cleaning out a filter in a factory reactor.
About 30 feet deep. Undo 6 bolts, take the lid off, pull filter out, replace, bolt cover back on ... easy.
They got a quote, it was too high and they never got back.
Heard a few months later that 2 recreational scuba divers were killed trying to do the filter replacement.
They undid the bolts and pulled the cover without checking that the line was pressurised and got sucked into the line.
They had no one topside, and were stuck there till their air ran out.

Yes it does sound like user and training errors, and because someone died they don't want to say anything bad about a dead man so they blame the equipment. Nevertheless the manufacturer should evaluate the BCs and post a report.

Yes it does sound like user and training errors, and because someone died they don't want to say anything bad about a dead man so they blame the equipment.

Yup.

Nevertheless the manufacturer should evaluate the BCs and post a report.

I agree with you in principle, but any statements might be misconstrued, especially is a forum like this with such diverse opinions. It would be like playing with razor blades.
I am guessing that legal consul has told said manufacturer to make absolutely no statements, period.

While not a PSD diver I have some observations from a recreational instructor's viewpoint.
1. 40lbs of lead? Who the hell taught these guys how to do a weight check

That's not completely unreasonable for a fat guy or with thick underwear. I use 32 Lbs with my warmest underwear, and there's probably something thicker available somewhere, and I'm sure there are fatter people.

While it's entirely possible the guy was massively over-weighted, you can't tell from the post, so it's not really somthing you can throw stones at just yet.

Who the hell told him it was ok to have all your weight in one system? Especially that much. That is asking to get killed.

All your weight in a working weight system is perfectly OK. It's only a problem if there's a chance you won't be able to ditch it, or it ditches itself.

flots.

Last edited:
has anybody determined if the officer was certified to dive ??
i hate that this happened to anybody in the dive community esp. one trying to be a public safety diver
but just cause you have seen people dive doesn't mean you can dive ...
this is not a trial and error activity
feel sorry for the family and friends of the officer ...

also 40lbs is a LOT of wieght
the most i have ever use even with a drysuit is 30lbs

Last edited:
I use right about 36 pounds in a dry suit. I still wonder though what suit they were wearing at the time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom