Dive team help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey:
I dont take it as a knock. NAUI does not advertise this specialty. However a few have submitted course outlines and have had approval to teach the Specialty. The outline I submitted is more like an introduction to PSD. No single class can prepare one for all the skill sets required.

My course outline came from a need in my community for training. However I must admit that most of the local teams could not pass the class.

Kenoo

PSD training should be taken from an agency that is dedicated to PSD diving. I have seen a bunch of folks trying to make some $$$$ off a search and recovery course and try to sell it as PSD course or an underwater criminal investigations course. There are a lot of people without the credentials running these schools. Stick with an agency like Dive Rescue International. They will give you proper training and get you properly geared up. I also see a lot of "Dive Rescue "teams that are an accident waiting to happen. I know cause I was on one before. They either have an accident or near miss and then get their act together and do it right or the team disolves. I also am unfamiliar with NAUI course. I am sceptical of it since I have not heard of it and I travel in circles of a lot of PSD divers and agencies. I would like to know more .
By the way DRI requires you to be affiliated with an agency and requires recerts.

Do any of you have thoughts or opinions on ERDI?

ciao!

leam

Mark:
NAUI does not advertise this program but you should contact NAUI's training department. The class outline I submitted was approved and I can teach it. You maybe also able to build your outline and teach your own. They will probably ask you for a resume that they think qualifies you to do so.

My class is about 35 hours long and is intended to offer some experience in the types of activities and skills required. Heavy emphasis on fitness. No single class can teach all of the facets and specialties that may be required for PSD divers as I am sure you know.

The reason I mentioned cavern training as a possible start for someone is because it demands the development of expert bouyancy control and trim. Something lacking in most divers. Especially from what I have witnessed in local PSD divers, good SCUBA skills are lacking. So although it can not prepare for the stresses involved in PSD it can reinforce and demand skills beyond what divers get in an open water class. Often people joining a team have only open water training and sometimes suspect training and skills at best.

To date the local teams have avoided it because they can not pass the initial swim and scuba skills test unfortunately.

Kenoo

kenoo:
Mark:
NAUI does not advertise this program but you should contact NAUI's training department. The class outline I submitted was approved and I can teach it. You maybe also able to build your outline and teach your own. They will probably ask you for a resume that they think qualifies you to do so.

My class is about 35 hours long and is intended to offer some experience in the types of activities and skills required. Heavy emphasis on fitness. No single class can teach all of the facets and specialties that may be required for PSD divers as I am sure you know.

The reason I mentioned cavern training as a possible start for someone is because it demands the development of expert bouyancy control and trim. Something lacking in most divers. Especially from what I have witnessed in local PSD divers, good SCUBA skills are lacking. So although it can not prepare for the stresses involved in PSD it can reinforce and demand skills beyond what divers get in an open water class. Often people joining a team have only open water training and sometimes suspect training and skills at best.

To date the local teams have avoided it because they can not pass the initial swim and scuba skills test unfortunately.

Kenoo
James...

Just a quick note to thank you for recommending Dive Rescue International training. We have just launched our redesigned webpage with an updated training calendar so if readers on this forum are interested in locating courses offered through Dive Rescue International, please check out:

www.DiveRescueIntl.com/training.html

Presently there are 57 programs on the Training Calendar with more added each week.

For those who are are unaware, Dive Rescue International has an office staffed a group of dedicated professionals who work full time serving the needs of the public safety teams and members. All of the Dive Rescue International corporate instructors are active public safety divers, affiliated with agencies with progressive public safety dive teams and each having a considerable amount of experience. You can request information online through the website or call toll free ... (800) 248-3483.

Safe diving to all,

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

===================================​

kenoo:
Hey:
I dont take it as a knock. NAUI does not advertise this specialty. However a few have submitted course outlines and have had approval to teach the Specialty. The outline I submitted is more like an introduction to PSD. No single class can prepare one for all the skill sets required.

My course outline came from a need in my community for training. However I must admit that most of the local teams could not pass the class.

Kenoo
By any chance could I, or we, get a peek at that outline?

Gary D.

BladesRobinson:
James...

Just a quick note to thank you for recommending Dive Rescue International training. We have just launched our redesigned webpage with an updated training calendar so if readers on this forum are interested in locating courses offered through Dive Rescue International, please check out:

www.DiveRescueIntl.com/training.html

Presently there are 57 programs on the Training Calendar with more added each week.

For those who are are unaware, Dive Rescue International has an office staffed a group of dedicated professionals who work full time serving the needs of the public safety teams and members. All of the Dive Rescue International corporate instructors are active public safety divers, affiliated with agencies with progressive public safety dive teams and each having a considerable amount of experience. You can request information online through the website or call toll free ... (800) 248-3483.

Safe diving to all,

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

===================================​
Great sight if I get a team together is there any way that we could get a class done local? It would be the rescue traning 1.
Thank you to every one who have posted you have been a great help keep it coming.

Thank you for all the info on the dry suit Gary 14 hours and counting. I have to have it custom orderd so flush another $300. My sholders are to wide, butt & feet too small, and once agine to freakn short. 5'-8" & a 168 LB OH well it all for fun:D

kenoo:
The outline I submitted is more like an introduction to PSD.
Kenoo

If your program is a stepping stone that would complement a real PSD training course then I would be very interested in having a look - no specifics just a general outline would be great. I also see a void in bridging the gap between a standard OW class and a PSD class.
I share James' opinion that actual PSD certifications should be done by professional full time PSD educators. The maintenance of these certs and course prep can be done in house but that should be as far as it goes (IMO). Although I lean towards LGS I'll never knock DRI, except that they need to update their texts.:10:

Leam - about ERDI. They are fairly new compared to the major players (DRI, LGS) and are really a rec agency (TDI). I've tried to get more info from them in the past as I haven't found much of a description about their courses. If you're able to get an instructor to talk to you you're further ahead then I could ever get with them. I think one of their instructors is on here from time to time (can't remember his name). I'm not knocking them either, I'd just be cautious as they don't have the credibilty that the others do as far as I know.

Gary - still like them flimsy 350's, eh? -- I'm just jealous because our team doesn't have the dough for 2 types of suits so its the vikings only for us.
I love the suit but as I own it I'm not getting any PSD germs on it!!! Maybe some wreck rust but thats as far as it goes!!!

bridgediver:
Leam - about ERDI. They are fairly new compared to the major players (DRI, LGS) and are really a rec agency (TDI). I've tried to get more info from them in the past as I haven't found much of a description about their courses. If you're able to get an instructor to talk to you you're further ahead then I could ever get with them. I think one of their instructors is on here from time to time (can't remember his name). I'm not knocking them either, I'd just be cautious as they don't have the credibilty that the others do as far as I know.

I have the ERDI manual on order, as well as Butch's book. The DRI site looked good but they don't seem to have anything in this state or the next one over where I volunteer. Any DRI types want to send me a manual so I can compare? :)

Honestly, I'm jumping the gun in this. My newness is such that I have yet to dive with the team even in training. My wife is out of town so I have nothing to do at home but feed the pets and think about PSD...

ciao!

leam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom