Dive Trip in SE Asia for Beginner Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry my mistake, reading your post, I thought the stress was put on "low ...budget" and "just as long as the area isn't too overcrowded".
I was just trying to help selecting a destination with optimal weather in June (that's why I left the Phils aside), and a kind of remote feel, where you wouldn't have to dive with crowds.
Other than that, the destinations I proposed can match with almost any kind of budget (although it should be hard in Weh to find an accom for more than 30$ per night) and, for Komodo and Bangka, would top hand down most divespots in Asia.
It's all good. Overcrowded is definitely something we want to avoid, so I will definitely look more into Bangka (Komodo sounds awesome, but I think that's somewhere my family and I will go once we are good enough divers to really enjoy all that it has to offer).

Hi there

In June of last year my husband and I dived Tulamben , Gili Air and Nusa Lembongan. We stayed in Scuba Seraya , Manta Divers and Pondok Baruna. We both have lots of dives ( 100 plus each and most on liveaboards ) but only learned to dive 2 years ago. All three areas were fantastic and we have already planned our return. Some people we met had done 100s of dives , but most had 20 to 50 dives and all were extremely well looked after , as we were.

In October we dived Bunaken Cha Cha and Komodo on a liveaboard and then Gili Air again. Again we adored this trip as well, but Komodo really is better the more experience you have.However Bunaken Cha Cha , easily reachable on one flight to Manado from Singapore would be absolutely fine for you , I am sure.The guides were fantastic and the resort delightful.

Bali in general is a superb diving destination with a very good chance of seeing mola molas and manta rays in Nusa Lembongan.

Have a great trip

1. Take Silk Air from Singapore to Manado. Split the time between Bunaken and Lembeh.
2. Take Cebu Pacific from Singapore to Cebu. You have the options of eg. Bohol, Dumaguette, Malapascua and Moalboal etc etc. I wouldn't worry too much on typhoon. The central part of the country(Visayas) is rarely hit by the typhoon. BTW, June is the low season so there is no need to make any advanced reservation. Travelling around the country is pretty easy as English is widely spoken.

The central part of the country(Visayas) is rarely hit by the typhoon.
Not hit but maybe patted in the back.
Stayed in Bohol/Alona beach once in august, 2 typhoons in a row were passing north of Luzon, I had to listen to the rain and the wind for 4 days.
Diving suspended.

Thanks everybody, this is really helpful. Is it worth the risk to go to Dumaguete in June? I've heard a lot of people say that it's the best time to visit because of the lack of crowds, but I don't want to pay for a week's worth of diving, and then end up having to sit on the shore instead because of poor weather. Also, Luko, you seem to know Bangka pretty well, where would you suggest staying on a moderate budget? Murex Bangka's reviews on TripAdvisor are kind of all over the place, how is the dive operation and the resort itself? Thanks

Not hit but maybe patted in the back.
Stayed in Bohol/Alona beach once in august, 2 typhoons in a row were passing north of Luzon, I had to listen to the rain and the wind for 4 days.
Diving suspended.
Made at least 130 trips to the country over last 15-16yrs. Missed less than 5 diving days over the period because of the weather. I must be very lucky.
BTW, SMB is more dangerous than typhoon!!!!!
Should be in PG in June.

LOL, iDreamOfBubbles, when you've spent a lot more time on ScubaBoard you'll realize that many people (guys usually) feel as strongly about their favorite dive destinations as they feel about their favorite sports teams, and they are willing to overlook or play down any aspect of either that might be seen as a negative.

I love the Philippines, but I would personally choose a different destination in June. I love Indonesia, and it's definitely the right time of year in June to visit. I also love Thailand, and while I have a vested interest in seeing divers come here, you will notice that in my reply I didn't even mention it to you as a great option because it's rainy season here then, and there are more pleasant destinations in June.

IMO, you would be very happy on Bali given your experience level, your wish for some muck diving and some reef diving, your desire for a nice mid-priced resort, and the time of year. (But if you want to come to Phuket, in spite of the chance of rain, do let me know!)

What is SMB?
San Miguel Beer!!
You certainly do not need any middleman/woman to go to Phuket. Why pay the service which you can DIY?
Anyway, Bali and Dumaguette are completely different in EVERYTHING!!!!
You call the shot.

You certainly do not need any middleman/woman to go to Phuket. Why pay the service which you can DIY?
Down boy! Down!
Nobody (as far as I can see) has even suggested Phuket as a destination for the OP for this trip (and who pays whom for the services of a consultant is a topic for a different thread).

We all know you think the Philippines is the cat's pyjamas, and take every opportunity to encourage everybody to go there at all times of year. You are a really dedicated fan of the place. That much is clear. But there are other options, in places where it's not likely to be pouring rain. IJS.

Back
Top Bottom