Dive Unprofessionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some instructors seem to have Open Water class confused with Boot Camp.

What's wrong with that? The US DoD is arguably the largest and most successful training/education organization in the world, and the more our primary and secondary schools have tried to distance themselves from pedagogy often described as boot camp style, the more our educational results have slipped behind the rest of the industrialized world.

Hi Nemo,

You really hit a nerve with me. I have been and instructor in Northern California for 17 years and I'm sure that we could compare notes and have more than a few laughs (and gasps). Here are a couple of stories. I watched an instructor doing an emergency swimming ascent with a student, no line no nothing. When they surfaced he told the student "You held your breath that's why I punched you in the stomach" I alter read in the PADI undersea journal that he had been expelled. I saw another instructor with a cigarette in his mouth helping a student get her obviously poor fitting glove on her hand. He was using both hands to help pull it on and the smoke was going right into the students face. If that wasn't enough he announced to the class "Okay if you all don't get suited up right now I'm going to turn into an a**hole" my divemaster was near by and he said "I think it's already too late"

I always try to make sure that no matter what is going on that everyone has a good experience. I think that as a dive leader we are ambassadors to the sport, we have an obligation to our students.

I have been with several unprofessional dive operators. As experienced divers we can overcome almost all of the incompetence but I am always concerned about what the novice divers will think of diving.

Cheers,

Michael

Mike,

Yeah it's a little ridiculous at times. You are exactly right though, even the infallible race of American instructors on here has a lot to answer for in terms of their quality control.

Some of the American instructors we had over here are terrible - militant, egotistical and preachy, which isn't what green recreational divers are looking for. This ain't the Marines. They are looking for someone who can help them learn when they do something wrong rather than yell at them. It's about representing yourself and your company in a way that will make people want to listen to you and return custom.

But make no mistake, it's not only you Yankee madmen :) We're just as bad for having to take time to beat the stupidity out of some of our new Instructor candidates. At the end of the day it depends on the individual's predisposition to being a w@nker. Arrogant Frenchmen telling 30-year sea dog skippers to get off "their" boats? :D There's a good one.

There's plenty of other stereotypes I could throw out, but hey, as long as I'm keeping my nose clean I'll leave it alone. I wouldn't want to be called snide again, as it might upset me lol

Nemo

Back
Top Bottom