Dive Unprofessionals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes the only reason a person is a ÅÑrofessional is because they got paid for the task once.

On the other hand, I know many ÅÑrofessionals that are personifications of what the term implies.

It doesn't imply anything except what you previously stated - that one is paid.

There's this huge misapprehension about what professional and amateur mean.
Strictly speaking, an amateur is someone who does something out of a love for the activity. Another word for professional is mercenary.

Neither word properly has any connotations about quality.

Remember, that woman who had your children and stuck with you for better or worse for several decades is a an amateur; the bimbo on the street corner in thigh high latex boots and a sequined tube top is a professional.

It doesn't imply anything except what you previously stated - that one is paid.

There's this huge misapprehension about what professional and amateur mean.
Strictly speaking, an amateur is someone who does something out of a love for the activity. Another word for professional is mercenary.

Neither word properly has any connotations about quality

That's an accurate but very narrow definition.

Actually, the word professional can also mean that someone is an expert at the task - so I'd say that implies a certain expectation of quality work. There is also professional conduct, ethics etc.

Also you're comparing professional to amateur, when the relevant comparison would be professional to unprofessional, which is the term the OP used.

Unprofessional can imply that someone is not an expert, or that they behave in a manner unbecoming of a professional, with relation to their ethics and/or conduct.

I agree with the unprofessionalism that dive instructors many times portray. But what should anyone expect; the certification programs are nothing more than a giant Amway/Pyramid scheme/business! It's a joke!!!!! Talk about a "good old boys club." No teaching credentials needed...Just pay your fees and work your way up the pyramid. If youÃÓe lucky, one day you'll have your own down line!! A joke, a joke, a joke. PADI instructors shouldn't be selling dive lessons, they should be selling soap!

I agree with the unprofessionalism that dive instructors many times portray. But what should anyone expect; the certification programs are nothing more than a giant Amway/Pyramid scheme/business! It's a joke!!!!! Talk about a "good old boys club." No teaching credentials needed...Just pay your fees and work your way up the pyramid.

Mathama Gandi said "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." Don't let the few ruin your faith in entire the dive community; but we can choose to keep it clean by weeding out the bad apples. We must report those "dive professionals" including dive operators that have or promote bad behavior, unethical conduct, and incorrect/improper instruction. A quote from Burke "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

That's an accurate but very narrow definition.

It's the correct one. Words have meaning.

Actually, the word professional can also mean that someone is an expert at the task - so I'd say that implies a certain expectation of quality work.

It has nothing to do with expertise, as evidenced throughout almost every endeavor and industry. In fact, it can militate against the assumption of quality - the professional optimizes his own marginal utility by delivering as little benefit as the market will bear for as much payment as it will bear.

Nowhere is this as glaringly evident as in what has happened to dive instruction as all other considerations become subordinate to the business model, and, as one poster already said, the path to agency fiscal success is to become like Amway.

Another word for professional starts with w and rhymes with door, except in certain musical genres where it rhymes with go.

Also you're comparing professional to amateur, when the relevant comparison would be professional to unprofessional, which is the term the OP used.

Two words: synonym, antonym.

Unprofessional can imply that someone is not an expert,

Only to the linguistically sloppy and economically ignorant. The perception that a professional is better stem from an assumption that market forces ALWAYS improve quality. That only applies where the market consists of well-informed consumers. When it comes to dive instuction, the consumers are notoriously ignorant, and the professionals are charged with educating the consumer, thus working to eliminate their own advantage - a terrible conflict of interest.

There's been much discussion of separating the certification process from the instruction and from all other aspects of the industry, so that the gatekeepers don't have a vested interest in passing unqualified individuals. Lacking that, professionalism is the enemy of quality.

Haha... This has really opened up a can of worms. Hubris? Snide? My word you lot are a fiery bunch! Next I'll have Tom Cruise on here telling me I'm glib!

Seriously though, I didn't start the thread to sound smarter than anyone else, and I didn't come on here to start fights. The thing is, I asked that question to guage your responses. They've been right on the money so far.

Some understand exactly where I'm coming from and realise that I'm not speaking about every person I meet, just a select few. Some people need to lighten up a bit and have a laugh. My number one priority in this industry, diving aside, is always making the customer feel like they have had great fun. I am never condescending, rude, or anything less than totally accommodating.

I think it must be the dry Aussie sense of humour getting me in trouble :)

While I'm getting shot at, I might as well ask some more questions. Does anyone actually bother buying those Platinum Cards from SSI? Or the shirts that say Platinum Diver? What about the Master Instructor rating? I'd love to hear what you all think about those.

-- N

I would suggest that if you are in a field that deals with lots of people, you will get your share of jerks... and nice people...and just average people. That goes for both sides.

However, I don't think the rich or american or fat have a corner on being a jerk...they may be more noticable, they may provide more reasons to dislike them...but I doubt the % is that much different.

I've worked on a liveaboard...and for the most part, the only people that bothered me were the unsafe ones...

I have more of an issue with instructors who have ego issues.. and there are a fair number of them in the world...but the fault for them still being in the business lies with the people that employ them... and no where else.

I have seen a lot of those rich, fat, outgoing people that are actually nice... if they are new divers, with lots of fancy gear.. yes they can be a bit too outgoing for most...and the odds are they have terrible reef skills..but it is rare that they are as bad a person as one would guess looking at them.

A far heathier and more effective viewpoint is to make someone prove they are bad, before doing any judging. I have always been amazed at how easy it was to get most of the outgoing people on your side, but just being nice to them...and when you do met a jerk (and you will), just focus on all the great people around you.

When I think back about all the friends and dive buddies I have had, my best, closest and perhaps the nicest person I ever have known, was a doctor, who was fat, had expensive gear, facial hair and the heart of a saint...and I still miss him after over 30 years..

It's the correct one. Words have meaning

Words have meanings. If you look in most dictionaries, you'll find both the one you posted (under adjective), and the alternate one I posted (under noun)

I don't want to derail the thread any further into an irrelevant discussion on semantics & grammar, or amusing riddles about hookers :) so let's just agree to disagree

Or, send me a PM if you like

In Business and Industry, a professional employee is considered one with a bachelor's degree or higher. These occupations include Lawyer, Engineer, Accountant, and Chemist.

A dive employee has every opportunity to behave as a professional. I always introduce myself and offer to shake hands with these people, just like in the corporate world. Most respond in a polite way. If the response is boorish, they will be considered as such.

Before getting angry or frustrated, it does well to remember what (I think it was) Voltaire wrote:

"An insult from a fool is a complement".

I agree with the unprofessionalism that dive instructors many times portray. But what should anyone expect; the certification programs are nothing more than a giant Amway/Pyramid scheme/business! It's a joke!!!!! Talk about a "good old boys club." No teaching credentials needed...Just pay your fees and work your way up the pyramid. If youÃÓe lucky, one day you'll have your own down line!! A joke, a joke, a joke. PADI instructors shouldn't be selling dive lessons, they should be selling soap!

"An insult from a fool is a complement".

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom