Dive Watch + Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So... maybe a dumb question. If you have a dive computer, do you also wear a dive watch in additon?

I don't have my computer yet but I have every intention of retaining a secondary time piece. My analog depth gauge will also remain as will my pressure gauge. No intentions of AI.

Since I expect the majority of my dives to be simple enough to execute easilly on tables I won't let an electronic underwater device jeopardize a dive day or leave me lost without vital info.

Pete

I dive with a Apex Quantum and use a Citizen Ti Promaster as a backup bottom timer. Should the computer pack it in, I will use the analog watch. I shore dive mostly, so very non-square profiles and wouldn't want to do that without the computer.

Nothing wrong with having a backup :)

Bjorn

I use both. Dive computer on my right wrist and a dive watch on my left.
I mark the time on my watch before the descent. The computer is water activated, so it starts on its own.

The watch is a back up and is used in conjunction with the console mounted depth gauge.

I’m one of the idiots that track stuff on my computer and use dive tables.

It’ s redundant, but if my computer should fail, my repetitive dives won’t end. Also, it keeps me familiar with using dive tables.

Bjorn makes a great point too:
jeckyll:
I shore dive mostly, so very non-square profiles and wouldn't want to do that without the computer.
Bjorn

So from the sounds of it, it seems that most of you are wearing wrist computers rather than console integrated modules?

I use both. My computer is an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and I wear a Citizen Hyper Aqualand. I find the watch great for a quick depth or dive time check.

My computer is on the console, my watch on my wrist. Except when I dive dry, then i fasten the watch to my bc.

A backup is more than useful. Computers are reliable, but they are machines and can break.
I have a Vytec with transmitter (yes, also wrist mounted), and I use a Citizan Hyper Aqualand.
I got rid of the console (I liked the fact that my bulky console wasn't hanging around), but I will get me a small depth gauge, and install it back on. I will have a complete set of data as backup. :)

About this:

Kevfin:
I use both. Dive computer on my right wrist and a dive watch on my left.
It’ s redundant, but if my computer should fail, my repetitive dives won’t end. Also, it keeps me familiar with using dive tables.

I had a conversation about this with a diving instructor the other day. We concluded that mixing the computer with dive tables is generally useless, because the tables are a static calculation (even worst case scenarios), while the computers recalculate constantly using dynamic models.
But... having the basic data *and* the tables make it possible to have repetitive dives, when the primary (digital) stuff fails.
That is true (apart from being able to end my dive safely, it is also a reason for me to have the backup). But be careful, the computer may already have pushed the limits of the table without you knowing it! Be conservative, if you get in that situation.

Melle

----
no signature yet... I need to give it thought. :D

I always dive with both `puter, Oceanic Pro Plus II. . and just a Sport watch, good to 165 ft..... as everyone knows, computers have the potential to fail, and having a dependable backup will be very helpfull..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom