Divemaster & IDC interships on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flodad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am AOW certifed since 80s. I would really appreciate some advice and recomendations on where to send my son (21) to divemaster and IDC training. He has made a choice to give up his job and do what he loves. On one hand, I am disappointed that he is not going after a much higher paying job/career. BUt... I am the person that once told him that if he found a job that he loves, he'd never work aonther day in his life. So I guess hes taking my advice and doing what he loves.

He has his AOW. Plans are that he and his girlfriend (who belive they will marry ) are going to do this together. They chose Roatan to do their certifications, as thats where they'd like to get employed once trained. I have decided that if htats truly his choice of a career, that I would pay for his training with the stipulation that I have a say in where he gets that training!

So... would any of you help me determine the best training on Roatan. I know some of you may ask why rush him into the training, but I (agree with me or not) think that if he gets this training upfront he'd be a better diver and it'd at least givehim a chance to make enough money to keep him employed and doing what he enjoys.

I have had reached out to Barefoot Divers and certainly like what they have to offer but since this is a big decision, I'd appreciate your feedback oon barefoot or any other programs there on Roatan. Thanks in advance.

I just did my divemaster and IDC with Barefoot Divers and would be happy to answer any questions you have! I had a great experience there and would recommend it, but if you want to know anything specifically just let me know :)

I'm not PADI but I'm fairly certain they will need Rescue before going for DM/IDC.

Do they stay on the Cay while in the Barefoot program? In the Lofts? (they're really nice) If not they may be able to find something in/near French Harbor nearby. FH might be one place to be based, it's more commercialized, has a small mall, an AppleBee's, a large food store etc. We've dove with Barefoot, I think they're one of the best - I still recommend them several years later. The only downside is the Cay is in a more isolated area - if I was staying there, I might want a car. Besides French Harbor, Coxen Hole is about 10mins. the other way, it's the largest town on Roatan - banks etc. are there.

Another option is Coconut Tree Divers/GoPro Caribbean in the West End. Will their CD has been teaching it longer than anyone else on Roatan. I listened in on part of one of his classes - and my group were guinea pigs for a couple of their DM training sessions a couple of afternoons - did a very professional job - yet kept it light also. http://www.goprocaribbean.com/ They also have a recently constructed dorm house for DM/IDC candidates to stay in - it's very reasonable - $200pp/mo. Coconut Tree Divers - Accommodations

The other advantage the West End has is that it's where most of the shops and restaurants are - a couple of small markets also - one in the CTD building, the other a block away. And everything is within walking distance, we didn't need a car all week. Almost all the nightlife on Roatan is there also - and people their age. I know a couple who went to CTD for DM, stayed thru Instructor, and are now working somewhere else. They didn't have a lot of money but were able to share a nicer 2br. apt. with someone else very reasonably. There's also at least a dozen dive shops in the West End so job networking might be better there. Hopefully it's never needed but the Roatan Chamber is at Anthony's Key, a 5-10min. drive from there also.

Last edited:
I most highly recommend Coconut Tree Divers [h=3]Scuba Diving | PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center | Roatan ...
unknown.gif
[/h]

www.coconuttreedivers.com/

I've been diving with them for 7 years and I've met dozens of their students of all levels. Your son and DIL-to-be will get no finer training anywhere in the world in my opinion. Absolutely nothing against Barefoot Divers or any others on the island, but if it were my son, I'd send him to PJ, Gay, and team and know without a doubt that he would be in great hands and would end up with the sort of career he wants. Contact me privately if you wish. Happy to discuss...

thank you for the quick responses....I'll reach out to you via PM.

Any others that have gone through the training? or comments /recomendatins from folks that are currently living there? On barefoot, I didnt think their accomodations were actually located within the resort area, it was a drive away. I'll have to check into that a little more. These kids have the right attitude and will make any situation work.

.... They chose Roatan to do their certifications, as thats where they'd like to get employed once trained.....

If this really is the basis for selection, have they actually done any in-depth research as to the possible employment expectations in this locale or for the profession in general?

Rice, beans and young love only go so far.

Its certinaly one of the many criteria. Many on this forum continiously stress the point that if you are going to get your DM or Instructor certification to try and do it in the locale you wish to be employed. Maybe IM all wet (oops sorry for the pun) but theres not a lot of job opportunities as a DM or instructor in the industry as a whole, much less on Roatan. However, its a career they want to get into and IM just trying to help as much as I can. I wanted them both to go finish their degrees and get a gbod paying job, but that just didnt happen..... So if they are going to try to make it in the dive industry, then I want to help them get off to a good start. Any suggestions? Is there some other area that you believe has a better opportunity for employment? Im open to all sugesttions.

Last edited:
While I love Roatan and Barefoot Divers, other areas may be more condusive to employment. Roatan has quite a few dive operators, but I believe that places like Cozumel have more tourist divers and may be easier to get DM / Instructor jobs. Just a thought.

Barefoot Divers is centrally located on the island and is a 25 minute drive from West End. They do offer a bus to and from the south side location for staff and interns. They have 4 dive boats, small groups, and only instructors leading dives. This gives interns all the supervision and instruction they need to become a confident and competent dive professional. On December 15th they will also open a second location on the north side of the island, at Palmetto Bay Plantation. They will be rotating staff and interns to both locations so everyone can explore and learn the sites on both side of the island. This is something no one else can offer on Roatan!

The training at Barefoot Divers is like no other in the Bay Islands. They offer the Eco Dive Master Internship along with the normal DM Internship. The Eco internship starts at 6 weeks and extend to 12 weeks, and the normal DM internship is from 4 weeks to 10 weeks. The differences between the 2 internships is the Fish and Coral ID courses and the Shark Distinctive Specialty. All of these courses are taught by one of the Marine Biologists on staff.

Barefoot Divers has the only 100%, first time, pass rate on the instructor exams for 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Also, they offer a free MSDT Prep if you combine the DM internship with the IDC, a $600 savings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom