Divemaster Internship Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To have a learning experience.

A DM candidate is a student and anything they do should be under the direct supervision of the instructor. They are not in charge of anything. Thus, good luck proving negligence as a DM candidate does not have any duty of care towards others. Insurance doesn't cover intentional torts so I just don't see what you get for paying them as a student. Maybe other countries are different.

It's ok to just say you were wrong :D

I'm not sure how they do it in other countries either but with the litigious state of America I'd rather have insurance than not have it.

As I mentioned earlier, to be and Active NAUI DM you must carry insurance and need proof of it for the yearly renewal so I really don't see the issue in having it as as candidate as you are going to have to have it anyway to do the job.

I get both sides although I side with hypertech. To think that a student must carry liability insurance with NAUI blows my mind! I've worked as a DM for 3 years now. Pay for your books, class, and almost $350 for insurance before you even see if you want or can do the job as a DM well, crazy! The shop I work at maybe takes on 1 of 15 DM students to work as a DM. To make them buy insurance at the start of class wouldn't fly.

I get both sides although I side with hypertech. To think that a student must carry liability insurance with NAUI blows my mind! I've worked as a DM for 3 years now. Pay for your books, class, and almost $350 for insurance before you even see if you want or can do the job as a DM well, crazy! The shop I work at maybe takes on 1 of 15 DM students to work as a DM. To make them buy insurance at the start of class wouldn't fly.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The community is over run with people that think that they want to be a DM but never really become one because they only want to get the card but they don't want the responsibility of being in charge of a dive or customers or students and they don't want to be burdened with trivial matters such as responsibility or liability (hence insurance). Common mindset.

For that... I give you the Master Diver Certification. Just go dive and have fun with it. Spend the DM money on something you will enjoy and embrace.

Do you pay for insurance now? Do you even know what will happen if there is an accident and you are not insured?

---------- Post added ----------

This was the first few searches on Google. If you are a DM or DIT and don't have insurance I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure it could never happen to you.. and really hope it doesn't.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/28/local/me-scubasue28

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=31292

http://www.washingtoninjuryattorneyblog.com/2010/10/scuba_diver_awarded_168_m_negl_1.html

http://seattleplaintifflawyer.blogspot.com/2010/10/scuba-diver-left-at-sea-wins-lawsuit.html

Can't follow the links on my phone.

Any of those showing a DM in training being found liable for anything?

And the master diver and dive master certs are worlds apart. If someone wants to do training that they will enjoy or will make them a better diver good for them. I see no fault in seeking training even if you have no plan to work in a pro capacity.

All your links are lawsuits brought against the companys that employ working DM's. Which does happen anytime an accident happens. I think we're all disscusing needing insurance for a student being taught by an instructor.

Yes I do have insurance and have all three years I've been working as a DM, it is required and I would have it even if it wasn't. Unfortunately I just had to pay for another year of it on Saturday.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

The community is over run with people that think that they want to be a DM but never really become one because they only want to get the card but they don't want the responsibility of being in charge of a dive or customers or students and they don't want to be burdened with trivial matters such as responsibility or liability (hence insurance). Common mindset.

For that... I give you the Master Diver Certification. Just go dive and have fun with it. Spend the DM money on something you will enjoy and embrace.

Do you pay for insurance now? Do you even know what will happen if there is an accident and you are not insured?

---------- Post added ----------

This was the first few searches on Google. If you are a DM or DIT and don't have insurance I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure it could never happen to you.. and really hope it doesn't.
Diver Left Behind Sues for $4 Million - Los Angeles Times

Ritz-Carlton settles US$17.5-million lawsuit/US millionaire paralysed after diving mishap - CareCure Forums

Scuba diver awarded $1.68 M negligence lawsuit against dive company :: Washington Injury Attorney Blog

Seattle Plaintiff Lawyer: Scuba Diver Left at Sea Wins Lawsuit

Ok, first of all thanks everybody!! I have little chance to get on the internet and am actually in Greece doing the course right now so I've only just seen all of this sorry!!

Second of all, @hypertech - *she :) I'm a girl hehe but no big deal it's ok :)

Lastly, I have DAN Sport Silver Insurance and have been told (by a DAN employee) that this will be sufficient until I qualify at which point I can upgrade.

Thank you for everybody's input and -for those of you who are jealous- we're looking for DMs (especially Russian speaking) or DMTs to come here until the season ends in October. If anybody is interested email me on cachalstead@gmail.com. I'm going to post an advert somewhere anyway once I get all the details confirmed by my boss :)

Back
Top Bottom