Divemaster questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my DM in May 08. The class only cost $385 with about another $300 in materials. It was a lot of work and internship seemed to drag on forever, but in reality, it only took 2 months. In the Tahoe area the only way we can earn $ is to do "discover local diving" or scuba review. Helping out with the classes is expected and that can be kind of a drag because of the personal expense and time commitment. And some of the instructors can treat you like s--t. The only good reason to become a DM is for the dedication and love of the sport...

If you had to pay the store $350 then they obviously did not need or want you around as a store D/M, and therefore they did you a big favor training you, and so you therefore did indeed become a D/M for your own good.

If a local instructor "needs" a D/M, then he/she will train them free of charge (not including books, of course), and simply get a commitment of a year's assistance in future classes. And that then becomes your pay, the money you saved off the course retail fee.

First, I would not be doing it to get rich. I just wanted to know if I could temporarily live in a location and make enough money to buy food, etc. Same thing goes for the liveaboard...just wanted to know if they hire DMs and if they got paid anything. Wouldn't mind working on a liveaboard for a year of so.

So I guess what I'm hearing is that DM training is mostly a stepping-stone to instructor and that there a few benefits in the way of money of actually improving your own dive skills as opposed to improving your demonstration/people/teaching skills.

Do you learn anything more useful like how to fill tanks and use the compressor? How to make minor repairs on gear (suits, regs, bc)? Anything like that?

Don't forget the recurring costs of insurance. That's another $375 a year. Unless you have a solid offer to work as DM somewhere don't spend the money, go for Master Scuba Diver and leave it at that.

So I guess what I'm hearing is that DM training is mostly a stepping-stone to instructor and that there a few benefits in the way of money of actually improving your own dive skills as opposed to improving your demonstration/people/teaching skills.

Do you learn anything more useful like how to fill tanks and use the compressor? How to make minor repairs on gear (suits, regs, bc)? Anything like that?

Thats right, some folks are happy to stop at DM most as you say do it because it is the stepping stone to instructor..

On my DM course i learnt all those things you mention and more, everything from cleaning out the toilets, to lifting heavy things, boat mechanics, boat cleaning, even managed to get around 200 dives in somewhere along the hectic schedual,

DM is a labour of love, long tiring hours and hard work with little financial reward if any, if your thinking of an internship be prepared for a lot of hard work and long hours..

I jumped into DM training right after Rescue Diver. I really enjoyed hanging out at the shop in the evenings and weekends for 3 months. After completing the course, I kept going back for a good 3 months, too. My instructor and I both spoke English and Spanish which made it an even better experience since the shop was in Miami Beach. The scenery in South Beach was also tough to beat :wink:

I primarily worked putting dives together for local dive clubs and always had new divers on the trips from the classes I was assisting with. I didn't get paid but got enough free trips to cover my insurance and certification costs. It was hard work to get 4-6 people on a trip to earn my free spot and I would always dive with the least experienced folks which made for short dives or sometimes missing them completely because of issues. I did try to apply for a couple of jobs but most places wanted instructors. I know a couple of folks did ok working as boat crew for tips ($30-$40) per trip but those jobs were tough to get and generally required you dive with them a lot to get an invitation to work.

It's not easy being a working DM but it can be very rewarding. That's actually what got me to be an instructor.

Good luck!

My DiveCon course was around $850 for class and materials if I rememeber correctly. It took me 16 months, but that was while I had a day job and worked in shop time on days off, weekends, etc. One of my preliminary concerns was that I would be a glorified "tank toter" as I had seen at another LDS. The shop owner assured my that everyone helped do everything, which was how it turned out. During the course I started getting my "employee" discount and the usual perks associated with hanging around a dive shop. My motive was two fold, to move on to instructor at some point, and to increase my dive knowledge, but not the financial gain. One of the biggest thrills for me is when a new OW student does his/her first giant stride into the pool and comes up smiling ear to ear, well that just keeps me coming back.

First, I would not be doing it to get rich. I just wanted to know if I could temporarily live in a location and make enough money to buy food, etc. Same thing goes for the liveaboard...just wanted to know if they hire DMs and if they got paid anything. Wouldn't mind working on a liveaboard for a year of so.

You do not usually learn about compressor maint/repair or repairs on gear..Has nothing to do with being a Dm..You do learn how to assist in a class and supervise certified divers...and hopefully get to dive at a lower cost-don't even think about making any $$.
Most resorts do not hire someone with only a DM certification unless they can bring something else to the table such as outboard/diesel mechanic-captains license.
They still would much more likely hire an instructor because the instr can function as a DM when needed or as an instr when teaching.
If you do not have a specific LDS that will work with you do not go for SSI, it would be difficult to locate a place that will work with you.
With a PADI certification you would have a better chance at finding a facility that will work with you as a DM and when you become an instructor.
I would also add that you should do your DM course with a facility locally that you would like to work with and from an instructor that has taught at the least 3 DM courses, and the best option would be a IDC staff instructor.This way if and when you go for your instr certification you have a better chance of getting classes there,as they know you .When I owned a facility I would not hire a unknown instructor unless they had vast experience and were known in the local industry, I never used a DM certified elsewhere.
Courses locally go for $500/$800. range and usually do not include any books or boat fees.
Once certified as a DM some instructors may give you a few $ to cover your gas/air fills if you are lucky, I do,but it is not that often that I need a DM.
Feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

hey im from CT and working on my DM in Groton. I paid about $350 for mine. whats wrong with Capt. Saam, my friend is doing hers with him and seems to like it.

I would talk to the shop you are going to be doing the training with, and see what their expectations are. Talk to people that have gone through the program here, and see what they think.

As far as the prices go, it would probably depend on a lot of different factors. Is the shop owner doing the class, or does the shop have to pay a staff member to teach the class. Do they own their own pool, or dothey have to pay money to rent a pool. Does the shop pay for the DM insurance, or do they make you pay your own?

I dont recall what I paid for mine, but I know I have more than made my money back in gear discounts.

Back
Top Bottom