divemasters and instructors course..where, when, how much?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree, I'm not a big fan of the low dive number requirements put up by PADI, and other agencies.

This is what SubMariner is talking about (BASHING). Nearly all the major training agencies have similar low numbers with regards to when DM training can start, but many of you just have to type PADI. :idk:

From what I understand, 5 years is the average time for instructor burn out these days. I think a lot of factors play into that, lack of total experience being one of the factors. When you are a DM or instructor, at best you are "diving alone". You can't rely on the students to bail you out of there is a problem. You need to be comfortable enough with your own skills first.

It's not really a "burn out" it's a "credit limit max out." After 5 years of working full time as a dive instructor, most have to take a "real job" to afford car insurance and the minimum payments on their credit cards! :shakehead:

It's not really a "burn out" it's a "credit limit max out." After 5 years of working full time as a dive instructor, most have to take a "real job" to afford car insurance and the minimum payments on their credit cards! :shakehead:

Wait, you can live off what you make as a DM for 5 years :confused: ? Where do I sign up. Unless you already live in a location where diving is done year round and the tourists flock, chances are you're not going to be making enough to do much of any living.

PADI is going to be everyones "compare to" even if you don't like it. That is what happens when you grow to the size they are. It probably means they have done something right to get their name out there in the diving community. If they wern't able to take the heat they would simply get out of the kitchen.

Stating a personal opinion on the low number of dives required to start a leadership class is something that should be vented. While one does not need to name PADI specifically, the OP (if I remember right) was talking about taking the PADI DM program. Should we not be discussing the standards and requirements for that course? If so I don't see why someone posting their opinion on part of the course requirement is bashing.

Wait, you can live off what you make as a DM for 5 years :confused: ?

Reading comprehension???

Reading comprehension???

And you're the one calling people out on bashing?

If it takes one 5 years to realize that they're not able to pay the bills there is something wrong with their ability to manage finances. I can't possibly imagine someone having been able to stick with something for so long making no money BEFORE looking for a real job.

Back to the real point, the job isn't as glorious and high paying as most people make it out to be, is it? It really doesn't matter what the reason is if the career span is 5 years, does it?

I am still questioning your reading comprehension. First I typed "most" have to take a "real job" not "I" had to take a "real job." Second, the OP never typed PADI!

While one does not need to name PADI specifically, the OP (if I remember right) was talking about taking the PADI DM program. Should we not be discussing the standards and requirements for that course? If so I don't see why someone posting their opinion on part of the course requirement is bashing.

Hiya,
Me and my boyfriend are looking to do our advanced, divemasters (and eventually instructors) course. We have planned to travel to Australia to do our dive courses in about 5 months time, but are also considering maybe stopping off in Thailand to do our courses there instead, as we have heard they are much cheaper than Australia. We completed our open water course last year in Thailand.
Does anyone please have any advice/recommendations on this? and also a rough estimate of how much it costs to go from the open water certificate through to the divemasters (and eventually onto instructors)

Thanks!!

I am still questioning your reading comprehension. First I typed "most" have to take a "real job" not "I" had to take a "real job." Second, the OP never typed PADI!

Where did I state that YOU had to take a "real job"?

If it takes one 5 years to realize that they're not able to pay the bills there is something wrong with their ability to manage finances. I can't possibly imagine someone having been able to stick with something for so long making no money BEFORE looking for a real job.

Those words clearly do not state "you" or "you're" do they?

if I remember right.

You are correct, I was wrong in remembering that the OP was looking for a PADI course.

I can't possibly imagine someone having been able to stick with something for so long making no money BEFORE looking for a real job.

Plenty of people are making some money and ringing up their CC's;

creditcards.com:
At the end of 2008, Americans' credit card debt reached $972.73 billion, up 1.12% from 2007. That number includes both general purpose credit cards and private label credit cards that aren't owned by a bank. (Source: Nilson Report, April 2009)
Average credit card debt per household -- regardless of whether they have a credit card or not -- was $8,329 at the end of 2008. (Source: Nilson Report, April 2009)
The average outstanding credit card debt for households that have a credit card was $10,679 at the end of 2008. One year earlier, that average was $10,637. (Source: Nilson Report, April 2009)
The average balance per open credit card -- including both retail and bank cards -- was $1,157 at the end of 2008. That's up from $1,033 at the end of 2006, a growth of nearly 11 percent in two years. (Source: Experian marketing insight snapshot, March 2009)
As of March 2009, U.S. revolving consumer debt, made up almost entirely of credit card debt, was about $950 Billion. In the fourth quarter of 2008, 13.9 percent of consumer disposable income went to service this debt. (Source: U.S. Congress' Joint Economic Committee, "Vicious Cycle: How Unfair Credit Card Company Practices Are Squeezing Consumers and Undermining the Recovery," May 2009)
"As household wealth has declined in the downturn, more American families are facing financial distress due to high debt burdens. In 2007, before the recession began, 14.7 percent of U.S. families had debt exceeding 40 percent of their income." (Source: U.S. Congress' Joint Economic Committee, "Vicious Cycle: How Unfair Credit Card Company Practices Are Squeezing Consumers and Undermining the Recovery," May 2009)

Last time I was renting my landloard didn't accept visa or mastercard and my mortgage doesn't either.

Back to the orginal topic, there are plent of places world wide that will train instructors and dive masters. Quality instruction should be valued over cheap price.

True, your money may go further in a exotic destination due to exchange rates but you may not get the same quality of instruction.

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies, its very useful to hear everyones opinions and experiences.
We mainly want to do our courses just because we loved diving, and as we do lots of travelling, it would be nice to have the oppurtunity to maybe work abroad at some point in the future and just generally be more experienced divers . At the moment we are only qualified to Open water, mainly because we only had a limited amount of time travelling in Thailand last year, but we did spend most of our other time snorkelling or bobbing about in the sea...just need to go deeper!
We're planning to end up in Australia for at least a year, but definately thinking of taking our advanced and divemasters in Thailand or somewhere else in the asia region. So if anyone has had experience of learning in any of these countries (i.e phillipines, indonesia, bali etc) and how economic it is to do this, and how the diving is in these areas then please let me know.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom