Diver attacked by shark in Torres Strait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently, he's an old hand at getting shark bit. Makes one wonder if he smells good to them or something strange like that.
Freediving. On a charter boat. In Torres Strait. And been attacked twice by a shark.

My brain finds it hard to go beyond "spearfishing".

Now sounds like a chaarter fishing boat whose skipper was doing some spearfishing. However, what charter fishing boat up there can do 20 knots? Most are plodders at 8 knots or so.

Reports say the victim/skipper was from Cairns. Maybe he operates a game fishing boat out of there and just runs it up the Cape on request? Seen a few decent sized game fishing boats in the marinas on occasion who could probably pull 20 kts without too much effort.

Yep theres a few pleasure craft showing up now on AIS who are doing 16 - 18knots - not unfeasible.

In case anyone else is wondering why one would poach trochus shells
The reef-living trochus shells are bought by...middlemen and sold abroad for making buttons and fashion jewelry. Crushed shell provides the high-gloss sheen in nail polish and paint for luxury cars.

The marine mollusk, which reaches a maximum shell diameter of 6 inches, fetches up to $3 a pound
Figures in 1991 USD Indonesians Risk Jail to Poach Prized Trochus Shell
Interesting to learn there was a significant problem with SE Sulawesi fishermen poaching trochus shells in Australian waters in the early 90s.

EDIT: Posting solely to add context for those of us unfamiliar with trochus shells - no comment intended on this specific incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of anyone scuba diving in that area, the closest dive operation would be in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. It is closer to Papua New Guinea than the Australian mainland and I would not really call that area part of the GBR. I would also suspect he was probably spearfishing.
I would bet MY LIFE he was not doing any "poaching" of shells or anything that would constitute an illegal activity or in violation of conservation views and/or safe diving or boat operation procedures. To all the haters out there: Know this. This is a beloved man with years of experience in these waters, either navigation or diving. He is educated in all aspects of marine biology, oceanography, engineering, and best of all, an upstanding man with a high code of professional ethics and morals. He is your fellow diver - where is the love? Where is all this hating coming from? Why not wait for the details and stop speculating on he did this, he did that. We all know at times shark behavior is unpredictable. We have all been in those situations if you dive long enough. We are talking about a person who likely has well over 5000 dives logged. Give the guy and his family the benefit of the doubt. He suffered for 8 hours before getting any medical attention. If you've been to PNG you know the remoteness of the area. With every dive comes risk, and with every dive there is a measure of adventure. This is what makes the sport great. How about this for a hypothesis: An experienced diver went on a free dive and got bit by a shark, completely unprovoked. He then suffered great blood loss and personal trauma due to the remoteness of the attack, and is now undergoing his second surgery in less than 48 hours. He is incredibly lucky to be alive. Period. End of story.

Thanks for the tips. Check it off my bucket list.
I completely disagree. This is absolutely the best place I have ever dived in my entire life. If you don't get to PNG you haven't even experienced what diving is all about. Wow. That's like saying, oh gosh Wikipedia said this...so it must be true. PNG is a jewel. The people are wonderful and the diving is world class. Best place ever.

bit of info on the Torres Group Dan - Torres Strait Islands - Wikipedia

Interesting place but no place for diving -I've sailed through there, the waters beautiful and can look oh so tempting, but no..not a place for dive trips.

Very unusual. Reef sharks wouldn't go at someone without some pretty serious provocation. Which is why I am thinking maybe a tiger took a wrong turn somewhere - uncommon, but not unheard of.

While the article doesn't mention it, I would be unsurprised to discover the victim was spearfishing. Common practice in the area.

Kind of glad about that in a way.
This guy knows the difference between tiger and bull shark. If he says it was a bull, it was a bull.

Apparently, he's an old hand at getting shark bit. Makes one wonder if he smells good to them or something strange like that.
If you dive long enough, in an uncontrolled and wild environment, bad things are bound to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom