Diver Attrition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay:
I usually go to Gilboa or Portage with Whitestar on occasion. All three are less than an hour from me, so that's a huge plus. I got certified in the spring, so I'm still working on exploring all of them, so every dive brings something new. Borrowed a camera on a couple of dives, that was fun to play around with. Read somewhere recently that there are freshwater sponge at the bus in Gilboa, so that'll give me something to look for next time I'm there. Been looking at pictures online so i know what it is when I see it :) I also got a hooded vest to go with the wetsuits, so my first trip to the tubes seems a lot more likely since I have some better exposure protection for the temps there. After a couple of Sunday trips, I'm fast learning the value of diving Friday nights or Saturday mornings to get the better vis. Hopefully I'm not stirring stuff up too bad for the next guy. I recently checked out a small quarry near Lima. Not as nice as some of the other ones in the area, but the admission is the same as at the local swimming pool, and my house lacks central air, so it's tempting to go for a dive on these hot evenings just to get cooled off.

There might be sponge at the buss but I don't remember any there. Most of it is on trees. Where I usually take people to show them sponge is along the wall above the tubes. From the instructors dock, if you go down over the nose of the plane and vere left...make that left turn around the corner and all those trees are loaded with it. your only at like 30 - 40 ft at most and the light is good and you can see it real well. You can still see even more detail and the true color by using a light...it will look less grey. Also the view along and up that wall can really be unbelievable depending on where the sun is. You are above the tubes and actually more toward the fake wreck or whatever it is and up on that wall. I hope that's clear. There's spong on lots of the trees but this is a nice dive and there's tons of sponge there.

If you follow that wall back around to the right and head for the docks (but along that wall) it takes you through some trees and it's a nice dive.

That area that I just tried to describe is often clean and clear even when there are lots of divers messing everything up. Even when there are divers by the tubes making a mess you are usually above it when you're up on that wall...not all the way at the top but, as I said at 30 ft or so. I've seen that whole huge pile of tubes completely engulfed in a giant silt cloud and while up on that wall, I was above all the mess. I don't know what they were doing. The whole thing was just a big rolling cloud. It looked like some one was tearing the bottom up with some bizzare kind of machinery or something. Anyway, this is a nice dive that you can do without freezing half to death AND, I rarely have to share it with ANYONE!

The normal routs following the lines around are ok but that all gets blown out if there are very many people diving.

Other areas that sometimes stay nice are along the bank between the instructors dock and the other docks. Stay above that ledge (20 ft or so) and just follow it up. you're kind of in the trees but there are tons of fish and, like I say, sometimes it isn't as stirred up as out around the lines. Bass will spawn along the wall that's right behind the docks.

Another area that can stay nice is that flat weedy area (east?) of the buss. It's only 20 or 25 ft so it's warm and, again, there are usually lots of fish. There used to be quit a few nice sized perch that hung out there (along with all the other fish of course).

Notice that, the areas that I'm suggesting may stay nice during high diving traffic are kind of in a big circle AROUND where most people dive. Most people just go follow the lines or, at least, dive in that area, and trash it. Except for the cars and the rest of that junk there isn't that much to see there anyway. It's funny sometimes. That whole area where the buss, airboat, van and all that stuff is can be a broiling mess and divers just follow the lines right into it and then come out crying about the vis. I even tell people...don't go that way, go this way. They look at you like you have two heads and they're like....but...but...there's no line there. You won't miss anything spectacular by not following the lines and you can't really get lost because it's just a tiny little lake. The worst that could happen is that you come up at the wrong dock. If you do, just tell your friends that you planned it that way.

Also notice that the silt seems to hang within the temperature layers to some extent. Staying above that can spare you the worst of it.

We've had really nice vis in some of these areas even when the rest of the place is trashed and not hardly worth diving.

MikeFerrara:
If you follow that wall back around to the right and head for the docks (but along that wall) it takes you through some trees and it's a nice dive.

That area that I just tried to describe is often clean and clear even when there are lots of divers messing everything up. Even when there are divers by the tubes making a mess you are usually above it when you're up on that wall...not all the way at the top but, as I said at 30 ft or so. I've seen that whole huge pile of tubes completely engulfed in a giant silt cloud and while up on that wall, I was above all the mess. I don't know what they were doing. The whole thing was just a big rolling cloud. It looked like some one was tearing the bottom up with some bizzare kind of machinery or something. Anyway, this is a nice dive that you can do without freezing half to death AND, I rarely have to share it with ANYONE!

Other areas that sometimes stay nice are along the bank between the instructors dock and the other docks. Stay above that ledge (20 ft or so) and just follow it up. you're kind of in the trees but there are tons of fish and, like I say, sometimes it isn't as stirred up as out around the lines. Bass will spawn along the wall that's right behind the docks.

Another area that can stay nice is that flat weedy area (east?) of the buss. It's only 20 or 25 ft so it's warm and, again, there are usually lots of fish. There used to be quit a few nice sized perch that hung out there (along with all the other fish of course).

We've had really nice vis in some of these areas even when the rest of the place is trashed and not hardly worth diving.

Mike SHHHHHHHH! You're supposed to SHOW them these spots not tell the world about them so they get as mucked up as the popular areas--geeeeez! :wink:

Took 3 students to Gilboa this weekend. Sat vis was pretty good at the beginning but after the 3rd dive even the students could tell the vis was declining. Sun morning was good but by afternoon it was pretty mucked up. The students still wanted to go out and dive after their certification and they took some fish food when they went. I warned them about what happens when you feed the fish, I don't think they believed me until they saw it themselves :D They left the quarry excited about Ohio diving.

Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Mike SHHHHHHHH! You're supposed to SHOW them these spots not tell the world about them so they get as mucked up as the popular areas--geeeeez! :wink:

Lol . . come on now . . .can't keep this good information to yourselves forever. :D

Mike, thanks for the dive ideas, I'll have to keep this in mind for the next Gilboa trip.

Mike, reading what you are writing about people just not seeing what's there reminds me so much of my first dives with Bob. Cove 2 at Alki can be a really dull dive if you move fast and are looking for big things . . . Bob taught me how to move slowly and look at everything very carefully. Empty beer bottles look like trash, but they're much more interesting when you realize they often come with gunnels or an octopus in them. Small sculpins blend in so well to the bottom that they are easy to miss. Warbonnets hide among the stalks of the anemones. You have to take time and look for the creatures, and sometimes you have to know how to SEE them to resolve the animal from its camouflaging background.

One of the best things I did last year was to take a marine life identification course. I learned tons about simple things -- sea squirts, starfish, crabs, things we see on every dive and begin to discount because they're always there. If you approach with the right attitude, there are no dull dives.

Seems a general rule throughout life that when I feel bored, like things are moving too slowly, it's always me, moving way too fast. Everything is interesting, if you look at it well, or think about it long enough.

TSandM:
One of the best things I did last year was to take a marine life identification course. I learned tons about simple things -- sea squirts, starfish, crabs, things we see on every dive and begin to discount because they're always there. If you approach with the right attitude, there are no dull dives.

Yes, I'm not too good with salt water critters but I grew up fishing fresh water and always wanted to get down there and really see what's going on. As a result I'm pretty familiar with freshwater life, at least the game spieces and others that are typically caught. The other result is that I enjoy watching these fish the most.

MikeFerrara:
Yes, I'm not too good with salt water critters but I grew up fishing fresh water and always wanted to get down there and really see what's going on. As a result I'm pretty familiar with freshwater life, at least the game spieces and others that are typically caught. The other result is that I enjoy watching these fish the most.

That's the exact same situation for me. I grew up in Indiana and spent alot of time fishing for catfish, bass, crappie, bluegill. I just get a kick out of being down there actually SEEING these fish in their habitat. I can literally spend an entire dive playing chicken with a bass or crappie guarding its territory, or watching nesting bluegill chase off catfish/bullhead. So many divers don't seem to much care about the freshwater life in the quarries and lakes. I just love it and I know there is alot that I'm missing. I need to get some books and read up on the life in our quarries and lakes so that I can have a better idea of what I'm seeing and what to look for.

Ber Rabbit:

Now Ber, Take note of the fact that I am not adding any new people to the party. I only try to help those who already have an invitation be more fun to have at the party.

Took 3 students to Gilboa this weekend. Sat vis was pretty good at the beginning but after the 3rd dive even the students could tell the vis was declining. Sun morning was good but by afternoon it was pretty mucked up. The students still wanted to go out and dive after their certification and they took some fish food when they went. I warned them about what happens when you feed the fish, I don't think they believed me until they saw it themselves :D They left the quarry excited about Ohio diving.

LOL. We always demonstrated the fine art of survival when fish feeding before we let students do it on their own. Some students actually declined to try after seeing it done. Others, just ejected the food all at once and assumed a defensive posture. It was the few, the proud and the brave who demonstrated genuine courage in their feeding technique. aSchool of large hungry trout is not to be underestimated!

MikeFerrara:
LOL. We always demonstrated the fine art of survival when fish feeding before we let students do it on their own. Some students actually declined to try after seeing it done. Others, just ejected the food all at once and assumed a defensive posture. It was the few, the proud and the brave who demonstrated genuine courage in their feeding technique. aSchool of large hungry trout is not to be underestimated!

I had shown them the "tap on the bus roof" method of attracting those trout, I don't feed the fish there :jaws: The students were amazed that the fish came in looking for food and completely surrounded me. I told them that when they take a bag of food into that mess of fish they could end up with two black eyes, a bloody nose and the fish may knock the reg out of their mouth so they had fair warning :D

FishDiver:
I was talking to a LDS owner about divers dropping out of the sport. He claimed that only 7% of newly certified divers EVER went diving again.

That is a reasonable number. I'd guess fewer than 7% become active divers. What's active? Maybe two dives a month.

You can pretty much predict who will do poorly in the class and not like diving after OW. These are people who don't like water or water sports. People who would go to the beach but not in the surf or go to a pool to wade in the shallow end but don't like to get their face or hair wet.

Also diving is a social sport. People who don't get hooked up with their local dive comunity don't stick around. Once you get to know a dozen or two other divers then you will stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom