Diver Attrition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had 2 absolutely terrible OW certification dives just a few weeks ago that almost caused me to quit. I followed that up by doing a dive last Sunday that again made me question whether diving was really for me or not. I dive in cold water which means full wetsuit, hood, gloves, boots etc. We did NO pre-weighting with full gear (or wetsuit) prior to going to a lake for our first 2 OW dives and received no help from the shop or dive instructor on how much weight we SHOULD be carrying. The temp of the water and the air both was 80 degrees and we all had to put on 14mm worth of neoprene and BC, then climb over rocks to get in the water, try to sink, climb over rocks back on shore, add weight, and then repeat. It took over 40 minutes for me to get enough weight on to sink (40lbs of lead) by which time I was extremely mad, dehydrated, and not feeling too well with NO relief by getting into the water at 80 degrees (thermocline was at 30 feet). I managed to do the first dive and was fine with the skills and the dive itself. Then I had to drag all my junk and myself over the rocks and back on shore to change tanks for the second dive. By this time my legs were cramping and I really didn't feel good. One of the instructors, as well as my wife, were very worried about me having a heart attack. When asked by the instructor if I could do the second dive, I told him that I honestly didn't know. I stayed out of the water and drank liquids until I calmed down and pulled it together enough to do the second dive. However, that night I actually had cramps in my arms as well as my legs from fluid loss and carrying almost 100 pounds of dive gear. The second 2 OW cert dives went much better due to being able to cool off in 53 degree ocean water, but I had several equipment issues (same with the dive last Sunday -- 25 lb weight belt wouldn't stay on -- among other annoyances). I got frustrated and almost called the dive but an instructor with the LDS calmed me down and helped me get my equipment straight so I could do the dive. Just for some background, I spent 22 + years in the military with 6 in US Army as a Green Beret so I am not a quitter and used to physical/mental hardship. Everyone has told me diving should be fun, and I do enjoy it once I'm under the water. Getting to the water and under it is a PITA and definitely making me think twice about this sport. (Working my equipment issues with a different LDS though)

I can guarantee that experiences like this drive people away.

Tim, I think you have a good point. The gear IS heavy and the exposure protection is bloody hot, and getting READY to dive is not the fun part. The problem is that you have to do it before you even know why you are putting out all the effort. In some ways, it reminds me of skiing -- I hate being cold worse than anything, and I would go up there and get cold and miserable in order to snowplow down a hill and ask myself why anybody really thought that was fun. But after some practice, when you can whiz down a slope doing nice, coordinated turns, you begin to understand why it's worth it. Diving is the same way. Do it on faith for a while, and you'll reach a day when you are under there and you are flying, and you will know why you stuck with it.

TimK,

We've seen that kind of thing a lot. Finding some one else who could help you was probably a good move. Gearing up in hot weather to dive in cold water is something we do. However, when doing it with students care must be taken to prevent the process from getting too far out of control because heat exhaustion and even heat stroke are very real possibilities. For one thing, things can be arranged so that weights can be made available near or even in the water so the students doesn't nee to do a difficult exit/entry multiple times. You just don't have student running in and out for more weight. You have the student in the water with some one to help and some one else running weights...or put some lead in a float or...whatever it takes.

All important. When we're dealing with the elements whether hot or cold or both inside a 15 minute span as we do in diving sometimes, you need to plan suiting up and entry so that you're not half dead from exposure before you hit the water. Getting this done in safety and some degree of comfort is a skill in itself.

Assuming the amount of weight that you were using was really what was needed (it sunds like an awful lot but I can't prove it from here) I doubt I'd put that much on a belt. I'd redistribute it and frankly if you need that kind of weight it's folly to be using an aluminum tank in the first place but you probably were. Even if you really needed 40 pounds, there's no way that you need 40 pounds ditcheable. I can't think of an easier way to end up in a rocket man ascent...dangerous to say the least.

Next time your suiting up in all that gear in hot weather, get wet while you're putting on that suit. On a beach entry that's friendly enough, get in for a dip. Do it more than once if you need to. If getting in and out isn't practical or safe have one or more buckets of water handy and dump some on yourself when you get hot. On a hot day, you don't have to sweat very long in a heavy wet suit or a dry suit before you're in real trouble. Common practice on dive boats in hot weather diving cold water with people getting in heavy under slothes and dry suits. When you get hot you sing out and some one dumps a bucket of water over your head.

I'm not a doc but the cramps can be from the heat exhaustion...sodium/water imbalance? Help me out doc...drink a bunch of water and a few sips of a sport drink here and there or diluted sports drink. I use straight water with a slug of the sports drink here and there because I hate the stuff.

Hang in there Tim. I was close to heat exhaustion on one of my AOW dives. 90 degree air temps, took too long to suit up/gear up, wore too many layers. An important point I learned that has helped me immensely when diving in cold water on hot days. 1. Prep your gear and get everything ready and layed out in an orderly manner but don't suit-up until last. 2. Put on your suit near the water and then get it and flood the suit. I jump in within about 2-3 minutes up putting on my suit and hood and then hold the neck seal open to flood the suit. It has helped me IMMENSELY. 3. Then and only then do I gear up (weigths, bc/tank, gloves, etc). 4. Immediately head to the water and get in. Wait in the water for others. That process has made a world of difference for me personally.

EDIT: Oh yea, and LOTS of water and/or sports drink before, during and after each dive. I bring a huge cooler full of bottled water, some gatorade and some Arizona green tea.

Good luck!

I think having a commited dive buddy helps. Having somebody else to love it with you makes it a lot easier. And more fun

Yes, Mike, you are quite right; muscle cramps (and severe ones) can be caused by heavy sweating and only drinking water. I actually treated a patient for that yesterday. It drops the blood sodium level and can cause really amazing cramping. You can avoid it by using even diluted sports drinks, or snacking on potato chips or pretzels or anything else that's salty. It doesn't take a LOT of salt to replace what's lost in sweat, but it does take some.

Tim:

Hang in there man. BUT, remember you've already proved your self. Don't worry about them.

From your post I get the flavor that these "instructors" were more interested in having you "prove you are worthy" than they were in helping you develop the skills and comfort to have fun diving. The solicitous comments are portrayed as more designed to give you an opportunity to quit, proving that you are unworthy, than anything else. Now I could be way off base. But that is the impression I get from your post. If that impression is correct; be assured I have met several of that kind of person.

They are a temporary speed bump and of no consequence in the long haul.

So hang in there, and eventually you will develop the confidence and skill to do what makes you comfortable and safe. Some techniques have been posted that will help. I'm trying to encourage you on a broader and more fundemental level.

Best to you.

Prices have gone up there Ish? Fuel costs I would imagine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom