Diver Dave - Stunning SRP filter/macro from Cozumel Mexico.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
if you want to see some awesome sponges, big and small sharks / spotted eagle rays / 40-100 foot dive depths, did I say huge and small Sponges, and macro macro macro of super small stuff?

and yes there are 15-17 full sized lobsters in that one shot, never seen those many in one spot before!

read my Vimeo comments on what GoPro Settings and equipment I used..........if you're interested.

......but otherwise, click this link, hit full screen first, then play button, and enjoy a few minutes of diving in the macro and wide angle plunging into the abyss reef wall dive of the island of Cozumel Mexico world.

This is fun stuff, both to shoot and share:

enjoy:

:D

https://vimeo.com/85508998

I'm looking to get an srp filter setup for my gp3. I only shot 4 dives last summer with a head strap and no filter. I have since built a tray from PVC similar to the srp tray and can't wait to try it out. What do you recommend I get to start? Maybe a list would help me. eg: get this first, then that, then one of these.
Thanks.

I'm looking to get an srp filter setup for my gp3. I only shot 4 dives last summer with a head strap and no filter. I have since built a tray from PVC similar to the srp tray and can't wait to try it out. What do you recommend I get to start? Maybe a list would help me. eg: get this first, then that, then one of these.
Thanks.
The most cost effective filter setup from SRP would be this: BlurFix3 SO with CYD Filter by URPRO

That red filter is the most important single item to general UW filming with a GoPro. You could also opt for their +10 macro lens (55 mm Marumi Macro +10) for close ups but that would require the simultaneous use of lights and another BlurFix3 SO naked adapter (BlurFix3 SO Naked 55 mm Filter Adapter) to attach the +10 macro lens for quick UW swapping of between the two.

The fact that you have a tray and the addition of the BlurFix3 SO with CYD Filter by URPRO is a very good start and all that's really needed for general filming in decent lighted conditions. The rest are options for more versatile shooting.

The most cost effective filter setup from SRP would be this: BlurFix3 SO with CYD Filter by URPRO

That red filter is the most important single item to general UW filming with a GoPro. You could also opt for their +10 macro lens (55 mm Marumi Macro +10) for close ups but that would require the simultaneous use of lights and another BlurFix3 SO naked adapter (BlurFix3 SO Naked 55 mm Filter Adapter) to attach the +10 macro lens for quick UW swapping of between the two.

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER.

that's exactly what I do, I carry both CY red on a quick mount SO, as well as a Macro Stack on another. Carry them in a BCD pocket in a plastic container they ship in (remove blue foam)

they also have a SWCY, sw for shallow water filter..........haven't played with that one or the dome yet.

Do all your burping and multistacking of macro lenses while on the drop down to clear air bubbles.

The quick mount nakeds are sweet, and very flexible for any of your filter/lens combinations.

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER.

that's exactly what I do, I carry both CY red on a quick mount SO, as well as a Macro Stack on another. Carry them in a BCD pocket in a plastic container they ship in (remove blue foam)

they also have a SWCY, sw for shallow water filter..........haven't played with that one or the dome yet.

Do all your burping and multistacking of macro lenses while on the drop down to clear air bubbles.

The quick mount nakeds are sweet, and very flexible for any of your filter/lens combinations.

I actually do mine a little differently. Instead of using 2 BlurFix3 SO Naked 55 mm Filter Adapters I use a Backscatter Flip 3.1 outfitted with two 55mm flip adapters. One for SRP 55mm red filter, the other for "macro" lenses. I can just flip one out and then flip the other in place very quickly. Or I can have both flips with different "macro" lens configurations like one with +10, the other +20 or +30

I have to admit, this lens swapping with the GoPro is cumbersome. I've been considering upgrading to a compact camera with a zoom lens and UW housing, but the cost of the darn housings are so much more than everything else combined.

I use a Backscatter Flip 3.1 outfitted with two 55mm flip adapters. One for SRP 55mm red filter, the other for "macro" lenses. I can just flip one out and then flip the other in place very quickly.

interesting dual flipables, sorta like the new dual lens polar pro?:

GoPro Hero3+ Accessory SwitchBlade3+

post some pics of your backscatter 3.1 dual? I have their Hero 2 housing, with a flat port (hi-tech at the time) and it comes with a 55mm threaded female port.

the new polar pro looks interesting, with 2.2x magnifying lens? what's that in diopters? almost sound more like a zoom than a macro? But their own website sample examples look pretty non-effective for "macro" wiggle jiggle.

interesting dual flipables, sorta like the new dual lens polar pro?:

GoPro Hero3+ Accessory SwitchBlade3+

post some pics of your backscatter 3.1 dual? I have their Hero 2 housing, with a flat port (hi-tech at the time) and it comes with a 55mm threaded female port.

the new polar pro looks interesting, with 2.2x magnifying lens? what's that in diopters? almost sound more like a zoom than a macro? But their own website sample examples look pretty non-effective for "macro" wiggle jiggle.
I'm not sure what 2.2x translates to in diopter +. Maybe just a +2.2. An actual zoom lens without the focal point issues would be nice.

Here's my Flip 3.1 config with an SRP URPRO CYD and a +20 diopter:

IMG_0899.jpg IMG_0897.jpg IMG_0898-1.jpg

The Acrylic CYD filter works great but scratches way to easily. Mine already has a scratch that appears faintly on video. I'm going to get the glass version soon.

if you want to see some awesome sponges, big and small sharks / spotted eagle rays / 40-100 foot dive depths, did I say huge and small Sponges, and macro macro macro of super small stuff?

and yes there are 15-17 full sized lobsters in that one shot, never seen those many in one spot before!

read my Vimeo comments on what GoPro Settings and equipment I used..........if you're interested.

......but otherwise, click this link, hit full screen first, then play button, and enjoy a few minutes of diving in the macro and wide angle plunging into the abyss reef wall dive of the island of Cozumel Mexico world.

This is fun stuff, both to shoot and share:

enjoy:

:D

https://vimeo.com/85508998

great video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom