Diver death at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
Hello,

My good friend and former brother-in-law, Mike Devenny, died Oct. 28, 2007 at Dutch Springs. He was 50 years olds and leaves behind 3 children. Mike had just started diving and was on an open water certification training dive. At this point, the autopsy report shows he had a blockage in or near his heart. I, myself, dive and I don't believe his death was dive related. I do believe that his adrenalin and his heart were pumping overtime, as did mine when I first started diving. If anyone was there with him and has any information for us, it would be dearly appreciated.

Thank you,
Henry

I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. You have my sincerest condolences I read about it on another board but there wasn't much information given. I know that going up those hills in all your gear is very fatiguing.

My condolences to you and your family.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for. My prayers go out to you for your friend's family

All I heard were rumors as I was underH2O at the time. Actually heard that he was on the pininsula side but then heard he was back in the cove, so there ya go. Also a rumor that he ran out of air. I tend to believe your theory though.

My condolences as well. I have to wonder if he was on an OW training dive why was he at 75 feet? Don't they usually limit depth to around 40 or so?

He had to have been done with the training dives and off on his own. I would think. I can't imagine taking someone in the cove for an OW dive when the platforms are there with good ridges for a tour.

There is a platform back in that area although it is deeper than the rest at the facility. I saw the ems unit go back to the cove area so that apparently was the site of the accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom