Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the news reports indicates negligence on anyone's part. Unless the DM directly did something to the diver it is hard to believe that the DM is at fault. And how did you get the autopsy results that indicate the DM was at fault. If they indicate as you say that he was in good health what happened? Did he run out of air, if so this is NOT the DM's fault. Did he ascend too fast? Again not the DM's fault. Did he get seperated from the other divers? Again unless the DM was specifically contracted to be his buddy not the DM's fault.

To come on here and post such an inflammatory item is just as bad. You need to realize that if there was an accident and the diver was in good health and the conditions were not dangerous it is highly likely that diver error was a factor and this can be due to a number of things. Inexperience, lack of recent experience, poor training, not adhering to known safety procedures and protocols, or equipment failure. None of these are the DM's fault. This sport is only as safe as the person doing it. The news reports indicate a routine investigation with no mention of criminal charges.

Why would you try to destroy the livelihoods of people who have no fault in this matter. Divers die most of the time due to their own mistakes. This begins with poor training and continues with a nonchalant approach to this sport. IT IS ONLY AS SAFE AS THE DIVER MAKES IT. GO OUTSIDE OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE OR DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE TO KEEP YOU SAFE AND IT WILL MOST LIKELY HURT OR KILL YOU IN VERY NASTY WAYS! If anyone should be prosecuted it's those who put divers in the water without making sure they are ready to do so. This is the result of training based on profit as opposed to skill and education.

All I can say is the the shop was unprofessional. We did not get briefed as to saftey, there was only one person on the boat and the was the DM. He NEVER checked any of us to see if we were OK. This person had only done his 2 check out dives the day before and the DM was aware of how new to diving he was. Half way through the dive the DM knew he was missing and chose to continue the dive without looking for the missing diver. Now you tell me who is at fault here?

If he was new to diving, only doing his 2nd check out dive, clearly the DM should NOT have taken him to 100 ft. This is egregious!!!!:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: I hope you all get justice.Scary

LimLap, Whatever, I am not detroying anyones livihood. You weren't there. This DM was unprofessional from the start. Telling jokes, dancing, not doing a safety breifing. Knowing that he was a new diver. Not budding people up. Not do checks on air, No OK signs at all just taking off and leaving everyone to defend for themselves. One minor that hadn't had a dive in a year. We all told him of our experience. A DM's responsibility is to guide us on a dive point out cool stuff and make sure we are safe and get back to the boat, end of story and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a DM either!

Yes I was on the dive, he was not my dive buddy he was suppose to be with the DM! He somehow went to 346ft. according to his dive computer. I did not see him because I choose not to dive to a 100 ft which was the dive plan. I stayed at 60ft with his fiancee' because she and he were both new diver's and she did not want to dive to a 100ft either. That's about all I can tell you at this point.

Who trained him? THis is the person who should be looked at. Why did he not know to not do the dive. It sounds like you are saying they were not certified yet but still doing checkouts. Where was his instructor? Who booked the dive? Did everyone know the plan ahead of time? If so it is the DIVER'S responsibility to decide to dive or not. Did you tell them not to dive, that it was beyond their training and experience? What was their response? Was the DM watching other divers? When did their training begin? This is unbelievable that they would even be allowed on the boat unless the op did not fully understand their level of inexperience. Did the DM speak good english? Where was the captain?

Thanks, Pilot Fish!!!

Jimlap....LOL Now you are getting what I am saying. None of that was done. Except the shop did their check out dives the day before. The DM let him go to the 100ft he had his c card so he was able to go to that dept. No I didn't tell him not to go, that was the DM's responsibility to tell him he should or shouldn't. The guy got Nitrogen Narcosis. The DM knew he was missing half way through the dive that's the main point. The dive should have been aborted and it wasn't. The DM should have looked for him and he didn't. End of story!

I don't know who you were trained by but the DM's job is to guide. They are not babysitters. If you cannot do the dive without a DM you should not be doing the dive. It is not his responsibility to check your air or set up buddy teams. If his fiance was not with him then they were not well trained as they should not have left each other. Did the DM know he was the divers buddy now? Why did you even do the dive with them? Are you qualified to lead new divers? If not then you should have thumbed the dive as soon as he left her. WHy did you even get in the water with a 100 ft plan if you were not going to do the plan. In this case the DM has divers at 60 feet and at 100 feet? No wonder he could not keep track! WHo was the kid with? I'm betting the DM was looking after him as well. The couple should not have done the dive. THey were not qualified to be in open water without an instructor.

LimLap, Whatever, I am not detroying anyones livihood. You weren't there. This DM was unprofessional from the start. Telling jokes, dancing, not doing a safety breifing. Knowing that he was a new diver. Not budding people up. Not do checks on air, No OK signs at all just taking off and leaving everyone to defend for themselves. One minor that hadn't had a dive in a year. We all told him of our experience. A DM's responsibility is to guide us on a dive point out cool stuff and make sure we are safe and get back to the boat, end of story and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a DM either!

Sounds like the DM was doing his Carib Calypso routine for tips, not safety? Did he or someone else suggest a dive to 100 ft? There is no way this clown should have taken that newbie dive group to a 100 ft site. Sorry.

Even if your friend agreed to the 100 ft dive, the DM is TRAINED to know that a new diver is not certified to dive under 60 ft. The DM should NOT have taken two groups to two different depths. No way he can watch or guide both. Poor planning.

He was PADI trained in Colorado and did his check out dives in Cayman.

I have been diving for 20 years and I don't dive to 100ft. No need to that is why I was with his fiance' and she was a new diver and she didn't want to go to a 100ft so I told her to stay with me. It took us 5 or 6 times to explain to the DM that we were going to be buddies and NOT going to a 100ft and that we would hover over the rest of the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom