Diver Death in Waterton National Park, Alberta on August 24, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been following this thread closely and wondering if I should weigh in. I am the diver the original post referred to that went into the water to retrieve the deceased and was the one to initiate CPR on shore. In an effort to reduce the speculation and to ease curiosity I can confirm some details of the incident.

The incident occurred August 24, 2013 at around 2:30 pm at Cameron Bay in Waterton Lakes National Park. Despite what has been reported on some of the news videos and stories, I was not a part of the group in question, nor was I in the water at the time of the incident. For those unaware I am a former EMT, a current Firefighter, A NAUI Scuba Diving Instructor and NAUI First Aid Instructor. I was not instructing on this day nor was I a part of any class, but rather I was there for a recreational dive with my wife. We dove the same site just prior to the incident; upon completion of our dive while exiting the water we noticed a group of divers just getting in. As there were several dive groups around the park that day, this was not a surprise.

About 20 minutes later, I was out of my drysuit and packing up my gear when I heard calls for help. I raced to the shore while my wife called 911. Upon reaching the shore I witnessed a group of divers giving in water rescue breaths to what appeared to be an unconscious diver. I ran into the water and grabbed the man from the divers. I performed in water rescue breaths as I towed the man to shore. Upon reaching shore and getting him out of the water I checked for a pulse, feeling none I initiated CPR.

About this same time a subsequent group of divers witnessed what was going on and came down the beach to help. They brought their oxygen kit and we placed the man on oxygen and replaced the mouth to mouth ventilations that I was doing at the time, to using a pocket mask with a one-way valve (supplemented with the Oxygen). I continued chest compressions, while one of these divers provided positive pressure ventilations. The diver was cut out of his drysuit and hooked to an AED, however by this point the man was already asystolic and no defibrillation could occur. When EMS showed up the man was given care in accordance with ACLS protocols. Because of the severity of the incident and my EMT/Firefighter experience I was asked to accompany EMS in the back of the ambulance to continue to provide assistance as the ambulance left scene. Unfortunately, despite numerous attempts to revive the man both on shore, and in the ambulance we were unable to resuscitate him.

As to the events in the water that led to the incident I can only give brief comments. As I was not in the water during the dive, this information is not my first hand experience, but rather comes from talking with the divers who were directly involved. I can confirm that this was a dive group out of Calgary who was doing a Drysuit course at the time of the incident. It was their second Drysuit dive of the day. The group had a dive master and an instructor in the water with them. The DM found the man unresponsive with the regulator out of his mouth at 28 feet. The DM ditched his weights and brought him to the surface. The time frame from when the diver was last seen with everything going normally to the point where he was found unresponsive was approximately 2 minutes.

Once I was finished with aiding EMS in the resuscitation efforts I returned to the scene to give my statement to the RCMP and to check on the well being on the other divers involved. As I was doing chest compressions, I had the divers find and separate the deceased's gear to turn over to the police for their investigation. However the weightbelt was missing as it was still in the water having been ditched by the DM during the rescue. The RCMP wanted to have his full gear, and asked that it be recovered. The DM from this group, two divers from the unrelated shore group and myself made the dive and recovered the weightbelt and turned it into the RCMP.

At this time I will not go into more detail. I have heard all the witness accounts of the entire dive and by my estimation this was a tragic accident to which no one is to blame.

Thanks Jjhill. Could you give some detail about the dive conditions? Temperature, visibility?

It was a clear windy day in Waterton which resulted in some surface waves, but nothing out of the ordinary. The visibility was about 15-20 feet although the area where we found the weightbelt (where the incident took place) had a sandy bottom that could easily be stirred up. The temperature by my computer was 57 F.

Thank you for your info and your efforts. With only ~2 mins of unaccounted time, for me, it certainly further reinforces keeping in contact with your buddy, besides how grim it must be for this to have happened during a class precisely when you are training to protect yourself. I'd imagine it was a very tough event on multiple people, yourself included even with your training and experience.

Thank you for your info and your efforts. With only ~2 mins of unaccounted time, for me, it certainly further reinforces keeping in contact with your buddy, besides how grim it must be for this to have happened during a class precisely when you are training to protect yourself. I'd imagine it was a very tough event on multiple people, yourself included even with your training and experience.
Yes, keeping contact with your buddy is very important. Also further enforces our poor ability to buddy dive within our current system. I feel like if he had been diving within a team of more attentive buddies, at least somebody should have seen the event take place.
I believe we do a very poor job teaching "buddy diving" in the typical diving educational system. This was a class,where the buddy system should have worked well. Imagine if he had an OOA emergency (probably not, but lets just say OOA for instance), 2 minutes is way too long to be out of contact with your buddies. What good is a buddy system if you can't stay within reasonable close contact in case of a true emergency? Hold breath underwater for even 45 seconds underwater while waiting for your buddy to notice that you need their air source and imagine how frantic you would be.
I'm not in anyway saying that this was an OOA emergency. I'm just saying that by not being within sight of a buddy or instructor for at least 2 minutes, this is a failure in the system. Something that we can take away from this accident that we can improve in our own diving. I know,as a Divemaster, I will certainly keep this in mind.

I would not try to lay blame on the buddy system for this one. In 28 feet of water, the surface is an easy backup source of gas. I suspect we are looking at some medical event that left the diver unable to save himself and it was probably unlikely that even an attentive buddy could have effectively intervened.

I would not try to lay blame on the buddy system for this one. In 28 feet of water, the surface is an easy backup source of gas. I suspect we are looking at some medical event that left the diver unable to save himself and it was probably unlikely that even an attentive buddy could have effectively intervened.
Not laying blame. Just saying that it was a weakness and possible stressor in this event.
I suspect it was medical as well. However, I'm just saying that if the victim did need help from a buddy, 2 minutes is a long time, too long.
Just something to consider when teaching classes and diving with your own buddy.

Yes, keeping contact with your buddy is very important. Also further enforces our poor ability to buddy dive within our current system. I feel like if he had been diving within a team of more attentive buddies, at least somebody should have seen the event take place.
I believe we do a very poor job teaching "buddy diving" in the typical diving educational system. This was a class,where the buddy system should have worked well. Imagine if he had an OOA emergency (probably not, but lets just say OOA for instance), 2 minutes is way too long to be out of contact with your buddies. What good is a buddy system if you can't stay within reasonable close contact in case of a true emergency? Hold breath underwater for even 45 seconds underwater while waiting for your buddy to notice that you need their air source and imagine how frantic you would be.
I'm not in anyway saying that this was an OOA emergency. I'm just saying that by not being within sight of a buddy or instructor for at least 2 minutes, this is a failure in the system. Something that we can take away from this accident that we can improve in our own diving. I know,as a Divemaster, I will certainly keep this in mind.

I can confirm that this was not an OOA emergency, however I agree with your general sentiment that in many cases worldwide the buddy system can be improved. Often new divers are so encompassed with themselves (buoyancy, trim, air, NDL) they lack the situational awareness to effectively monitor external events.

Diving is inherently dangerous, we are going into a world in which, without proper gear we cannot survive. Although there are many ways to reduce the risk, one can never eliminate it completely.

jjhill, I was at the site during this incident. I was taking an advanced course and drysuit course but not part of the group involved. My instructors were the ones with the oxygen. I am only mentioning this because I watched you give CPR and I was near the ambulance when they loaded you and the diver up. I was very very impressed with your dedication and motivation to help the victim. You worked very hard and did not give up and the world is a much better place with people like you in it. Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom