Diver death near Turneffe Atoll? Any info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMCII,

Thanks for sharing the details, sorry for your loss.

I said this before and I'll raise the point again here: What difference does that make?

Unless you're suggesting - and I'm not saying that you are - that the dive operation logistics/response/etc. somehow factored into the cause of her death or her failure to survive the incident trigger, how does who she was diving with have any more bearing on the accident than what color mask she was wearing? It seems to unfairtly tarnish a dive operation with the "they-killed-a-diver" tag.

- Ken

Accident analysis doesn't necessarily have cause-and-effect as much as determining trends correct? What if the dive shop is consistently recognized for having swift emergency care? Could that not go towards providing positive feedback for an operator?

It is apparent that we're not doing a complete full investigation on the Internet on some accident analysis forum but all information is pertinent wouldn't you say?

What I can agree is that this may not be the best "first question" for accident analysis.

Sent from my Shearwater Predator...

I am the stepson of Linda and I was diving with her when she had an apparent heart attack. She was diving one on one with a dive master. The response to the incident was text book perfect. We had an EMT and a physician as part of our dive group. She died doing what she loved with family she loved on a perfect day. Everything that could be done was done. Simply put, God decided to call her home on what had been a perfect dive on one of the world's most beautiful reefs on a perfect day.

DMCII,
Just returned from Cozumel. Thank you for informing us all on what happened. My most sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your loved one.

I said this before and I'll raise the point again here: What difference does that make?

Unless you're suggesting - and I'm not saying that you are - that the dive operation logistics/response/etc. somehow factored into the cause of her death or her failure to survive the incident trigger, how does who she was diving with have any more bearing on the accident than what color mask she was wearing? It seems to unfairtly tarnish a dive operation with the "they-killed-a-diver" tag.

- Ken

My condolences to the family. I do not wish to hijack the thread, and it was obviously nothing do do with the Dive Company here, but are you really serious in criticising this question? The person who asked it had no knowledge of the circumstances. It is clearly a valid question. There is doubtless vast differences in professionalism of different dive operators. I have dove Belize numerous times and one outfit I dove with was horrible. I am surprised people do not die with them regularly. I won't name them because my experience with them was one day diving. Since I prefer to live I chose to avoid them thereafter. Still my research on them has an "n" of 1, myself, so it may have been an aberration. To suggest this question is merit less is just plain foolish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom