Diver death off Block Island, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just heard on ABC 6 news that a diver died off the coast of block island in 120fsw... sounds like it could have been the uboat. I have no further details but will try to post them if/when I do. Has anyone else heard about this or have any other information? Condolences to any family/friends :(

-- Matt

more info here:

http://www.uscgnewengland.com/external/?cid=778&fuseaction=external.viewDocument&documentID=81766

Press Release Date: Aug. 28, 2005

(888) 728-7194

COAST GUARD ASSISTS UNCONSCIOUS DIVER

BOSTON - A Coast Guard crew aboard a 47-foot rescue boat from Station Pt. Judith, R.I. is currently aboard a dive boat conducting CPR on a diver who went down 120 - feet, resurfaced unconscious and not breathing seven miles east of Block Island, R.I.

The diving boat is heading to Station Pt. Judith where emergency medical services is waiting to take the diver to Kent County Hospital.

The Coast Guard received the call around 1:30 p.m. and the crew from Station Pt. Judith arrived on scene soon after.

Does anyone know specifically what happened? Out of Air? DCI? Ox Tox? Medical condition?

no it hasnt been stated yet, and they siad his equipment was functioning correctly. I hate to say it, but he probably had a heart attack. Pretty scary place over there, and i only went snorkeling there.

I have no idea what happened but I'd also guess that it was a heart attack although I have nothing to substantiate that aside from the divers age. In the Providence Journal article it says that once he was at depth for a few minutes he signaled he was heading to the surface and he went on alone... his buddies assumed he forgot something on the boat... bad idea I guess....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom