Diver death on the Big Island...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear they get about $200 for each Dragon Moray. It's a shame, I've been on Oahu seven years and it's just amazing how much fish stocks have declined. It's really bad when you find something really nice and you can't show it to anyone because you know if you do, it won't be there tomorrow.

DivinHawaii:
I hear they get about $200 for each Dragon Moray. It's a shame, I've been on Oahu seven years and it's just amazing how much fish stocks have declined. It's really bad when you find something really nice and you can't show it to anyone because you know if you do, it won't be there tomorrow.

a Dragon Moray sells for upwards of $800 retail, so naturally that's a big score for a collector. a vendor in NY just got a Tinker's Butterfly in, selling for $450!!! :shakehead maybe that's what this guy was after so deep

i like to see fish when i dive so i only buy captive bred fish.

scottitheduck:
"collectors" AKA "reef rapists"

I'm sure the family of Mr. Chapman would love to hear that. People are quick to criticize things they don't understand.

Very few people dive for tropical fish because of the money - it pays well but it's backbreaking work with long hours and no employment benefits. We do it because we love diving, keeping aquariums, and looking at fish. None of us want to "rape the reef", as you so eloquently put it - we depend on the island's fish stocks for our livelihood and depleting them is just as bad for us as it is for you. Any collector who knows what he's doing is careful to avoid overfishing an area and let it recover before hitting it again. Many of us have college degrees and know a lot more about fisheries management than you'd think. Don't get me wrong - there are some idiots out there who make things bad for the rest of us, despite our best intentions. The aquarium fishery on Oahu is quite sustainable IMO, but the guys in Kona who catch a thousand yellow tangs a day must be doing a lot of damage.

There are still dragon eels at Kewalo Pipe - you'll find some if you poke around long enough. The obvious ones were caught by a DM from a dive charter who was subsequently fired; apparently they were tempting enough to risk his job for them, despite the fact that there are plenty of other spots to catch dragon eels that receive no tourist traffic. It's a shame that this kind of thing happens - most of us make a conscious effort to avoid places frequented by dive boats. The island has enough reef for all of us to enjoy and it's only common courtesy to leave the recreational spots alone.

In the end, we're all divers and should be on the same side, rather than this "reef raper" vs "hippie turtle hugger" crap.

I'm with you "hippie turtle huggers." Unfortunately, there is more than one set of people out there contributing to the disappearing act.

FYI, I was out on the Enzo Saturday a.m. and my group saw a Dragon Moray on the horseshoe. It's definitely luck of the draw, though. I didn't see the moray, but I did spot a small white tip right under the mooring.

-K

Fish collecting is the same as spearfishing, pole fishing, tako hunting, shell collecting etc. If it is done with conservative practices and respect for the regulations and overall health of the marine life then I do believe those activities can exist. The reality is that in our wonderful society, the almighty $ rules all.
Personally I would prefer everyone to go diving and get a video so they don't need an aquarium...they just pop in the dvd and enjoy. And if they get bored with that one then they can get another one. All in all its a lot cheaper than maintaining a salt water aquarium :D My retail video has 2 dragon morays on it and only costs 20 bucks :D Save youself $780 along with the agony you feel when it dies.
Ok thats my shameful self plug I hope leesa doesnt delete it :D

Road to the Sea Beach is down by Ocean View. I’m told third hand a fireman involved in the recovery said his mask was full of blood – possibly when found @115’. I may have a contact, I’ll get back if do.

Ok, close family member resource, a diver with only several dives several years ago. I asked enough questions I felt pretty intrusive but nowhere near all of my own questions, nor had answers to all I asked. This is just relaying what I was told.

He was boat with surface support following bubbles (‘they just stopped’ early into the dive) scuba, collecting with the fence net thing and accompanied. Both long experience divers, have ties to several businesses here and Oahu. Unknown how became separated and/or time before search began. ‘It was very rough out.”

Unable to locate him that day, was located "exactly where" lost the next day. Found with all gear intact and in place. His mask was still on (with no blood visible) when this family member first saw him just after recovered. Was (as usual) heavily weighted. Found resting on R side with R arm extended overhead (parallel to body) appeared relaxed, no evidence of panic noted. Was not entangled in net (?s) and had just unhooked them.

Some distress occurred when recovering - reason unclear but ‘it was very rough’ ‘and out of air’ were mentioned - so his tank was removed and left behind. Working on recovering tank, depth was indicated a possible point of concern.
Autopsy done >72 hrs after…?missing or recovered?…and thought to be a mistake….(is there a time limit for effective cause of death determination for diving?). Result of autopsy is not known.

My sincere condolence to family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom