Diver Deaths by Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I should of searched but figured I might be the only one that didn't know the correct pronunciation. I guess I shoud have known it would just be said G-U-E. I doubted anyone would really want to call it gooey, but.....

Debraw:
I doubt that kind of information or data is recorded by any reliable source.

DAN collects this sort of information on their Dive Accident / Fatality statistics. I think that they once might have published the results (early 1990s?), but they've not done it since.

It would be hard to really give it any credibility even if it was available because if an agency did 10 times more students than another agency then yeah they would have more accidents. It's the law of averages.

You could argue that you could try to normalize the data by cross-referencing it to the number of divers certified, but the dive Agencies jealously guard that data.

If you could get current participants to data-share, you could do a good enough job cross-referencing these various sources to gain some insight on the relative performance of the different Agencies for the first 0-3 years since a diver was first certified. Clearly, this is not the kind of information that the "not the winner" would want to have available to anyone, especially the insurance companies.

After that initial start, the analysis problem gets complicated by diving frequency rates and the drop-out rates. Plus there's the wrinkle of divers that hold Cards from multiple Agencies - - where to you catagorize them?

All in all, about the best you can hope for is an aggregate risk based on the number of actual divers ... which is another number that's not well known; see the current issue of Undercurrent for the discussion.

Bottom line is that the numbers could be firmed up quite a bit if someone were willing to pay for the work to be done...currently, its a "don't ask/don't tell".

-hh

75% of statistics are made up on the spot, and the rest are inaccurate and misleading! :mooner:

Since EVERY diver that has been certified has died, or will die, than every agency has a diver death rate of 100%... Problem solved! :eyebrow:

I assume you mean divers deaths resulting from dive accidents?

I happen to have that right here, in my left pocket! Wait, wrong pants!

Sorry, on this one you are on your own. OTOH, it should be rather easy to pull the BS-O-Meter on the guy that made the statement. DAN does not have this data, or at least does not publish it, and that is likely the only source that tracks this type of stuff at a global level.

Personaly I think people should be more concerned with learning as much as you can from a "good" instructor. Which is why I kinda think this question is not to valid.

I have had good & not so good instructors for the same agency....I really don't think agency matters....

There really is no point to keeping these type of statistics...because you could be the best diver in the world...trained by the best agency....and still screw up and kill yourself

cerich:
GUE has lead to the death of independent thinking among more divers than any other agency.
To believe this statement, I'd have to totally give up my independent thinking and trust you.

Pass.

Whew... talk about a can of worms...

Next would be:

-Death by regulator brand
-Death by full moon cycle
-Death by paddles or splits :wink:

the insurance companies do it with cars though.

don't they?

catherine96821:
the insurance companies do it with cars though.

don't they?
Perhaps... however, cars aren't subjective... they either have a 30mph crumple zone, or not... etc... Agencies, on the other hand vary from instructor to instructor... Too subjective...

To put some perspective on things, there are about 100 diving fatalities every year on average, half of which are attributed to medical problems underwater. PADI does release its certification numbers, and on average issues 900,000 certs of all levels every year. So, an attempt to link an agency with deaths is going to be statistically insignificant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom