Diver Dies in Puget Sound - Blake Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Local News | Two Puget Sound divers die in separate accidents | Seattle Times Newspaper

Originally published Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

Two Puget Sound divers die in separate accidents

Two people died in separate diving accidents Saturday in Puget Sound.

Guy A. Snell, 49, of Poulsbo, died during a spearfishing trip with three companions, including an adult son, off Blake Island, authorities said.

Snell's companions called 911 around 10:30 a.m., saying he had failed to surface, said Deputy Scott Wilson, a spokesman for the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office.

A helicopter and three vessels spent several hours searching the surface but found no sign of Snell, who was identified as a retired Navy diver who was working for the Navy as a civilian diver.

After a delay due to dangerous currents, authorities launched a search that included several vessels and about 40 Navy divers. Authorities said Snell's body was found at about 3 p.m. in about 50 feet of water southwest of Blake Island, a state park north of Vashon Island.

The cause of Snell's death was not immediately known. An initial examination revealed no obvious equipment malfunctions and he was not entangled by underwater debris, Wilson said.

The Kitsap County Coroner's Office identified Snell Saturday and said it was conducting an investigation to determine the cause of his death.

A 55-year-old Edmonds man died in a separate incident off Edmonds Dive Park, according to Edmonds police.

Police were called at about 12:30 p.m. with a report of a diver who had been found unconscious 30 feet underwater. CPR was performed on the man for about 45 minutes, but he could not be revived. His name was not released.

Seattle Times reporter Sandi Doughton contributed to this story.

I hate that the news ran one story on both. I wonder how difficult it would be to split this thread?

Sounds like both were diving with sons, altho the reporting could have been confused on the two stories. Excerpting from 2 dead in separate Puget Sound diving accidents - seattlepi.com
In the second incident, a man in his 50s lost consciousness while diving with his adult son in an underwater scuba diving park off the Edmonds waterfront.

The son brought the man to shore and performed CPR, while someone called 911. When medics arrived, they took over CPR, but they couldn't revive the diver and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last edited:
Condolences to the family. The PNW diving community is tight and this is affecting many. Safe diving to all of you friends!

No Jax It wasn't me, Thanks for the update, I have been on the water all weekend. Wonder If they were Spearing the reef off Blake Island, on the south side. Anyways the water was warmer yesterday, vis down. today water colder, vis up.

After all this time, we get a slue of divers in trouble.

They did say the world was going to end for a few of us, How many people actually died yesterday.

Well sorry for the sons on there time with there fathers. gotta be hard time for them.

Lets dive safe, and dive again anothertime.

Happy Diving

Reactions: Jax
Yesterday was first day of the very short Puget Sound spearfishing season. We were spearfishing at alki reef and could see the search efforts occurring at blake island reef about 5 miles away, as well as listen to the Pon Pon broadcast over the VHF by the Coast Guard. Given yesterdays conditions - high exchange, very limited visibility - diving was considerably more challenging than usual. What is usually a very fun day was instead one of reflection on the risk inherent in our sport. Just before our second dive, we heard over the VHF that search efforts were finished. That second dive was for me one hard to describe. Creepy is probably the single word that describes it.

I rarely post on this board, but felt compelled given the way this tragic event has affected me. Yet it is nothing compared to how the diver's family and dive buddies's must feel.

As Coach_Izzy says above, PNW divers are a small and tight knit group. We know the tidal exchanges happening right now are the highest of the year. We know that snowmelt and rain create visibility conditions that can be well below 10 ft. We also know that yesterday two sons lost fathers they were diving with.

Yesterday's events will be with me for a long time.

The group I was diving with over the weekend also reflected. We were on the canal side of Puget Sound. Once hearing the news we discussed and I'm sure all reflected. I can only imagine how "real" it becomes when you're diving within visual of a search/recovery op.

POULSBO — A 49-year-old Poulsbo man whose body was pulled from about 50 feet underwater Saturday afternoon near Blake Island suffered a heart attack, according to the Kitsap County Coroner's Office.

Guy A. Snell, 49, was out spearfishing in an artificial reef with fellow divers when he failed to come up about 10:25 a.m. Saturday. Rescue divers found his body about 3 p.m. and the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office began an investigation, though his death was not believed to be suspicious.

An autopsy Sunday confirmed Snell died of natural causes, the coroner's office said.

Coroner: Poulsbo diver suffered heart attack » Kitsap Sun

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread split into separate incidents.

POULSBO — A 49-year-old Poulsbo man whose body was pulled from about 50 feet underwater Saturday afternoon near Blake Island suffered a heart attack, according to the Kitsap County Coroner's Office.

Guy A. Snell, 49, was out spearfishing in an artificial reef with fellow divers when he failed to come up about 10:25 a.m. Saturday. Rescue divers found his body about 3 p.m. and the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office began an investigation, though his death was not believed to be suspicious.

An autopsy Sunday confirmed Snell died of natural causes, the coroner's office said.

Coroner: Poulsbo diver suffered heart attack » Kitsap Sun
Heart attack, huh?

There were extremely large tidal exchanges that day ... a 12-foot ebb followed by a 14-foot flood ... and current can really kick on those kind of days. If there's a lesson to be learned it's that sometimes you have to look at the tidal exchanges and say "not today" ... or perhaps choose a site that's more sheltered. Problem with these big tides days is that you often don't really get a slack ... there's so much water moving that it just swirls around until it settles in a new direction. I've been out on days when I ended up swimming "upstream" both ways ... and that can really, REALLY make you work hard.

Gotta wonder if a short ling cod season might have played a role in their decision to dive on those tides ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom