Diver drifts 3 miles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In defence of my Jupiter brethren, diving from a mooring ball in high current is absolutely polar opposite of the style of diving being accomplished in the Palm Beaches. Glad you are Ok...

OK, being the operator who chartered the boat, the facts are abit different than you guys are reading and speculating about. The dives were planned for the Bibb & the Eagle, due to the strong winds and rough seas the sites were changed to the Speigal & the Duane.

Schott

Hi Schott,

Which wreck were you on for the ill-fated 1st dive?

I've had some pretty exhilerating dives in brisk current, particularly on the Duane, but I'm sure the current was never approaching 4 knots. Assuming you make it down to the wreck, much easier to stay out of the current for most of the dive on the Spiegel.

Thanks very much for the accurate information concerning the incident.

Good diving, Craig

Jax:
Okay, I'm confused. The diver came up . . . one would assume up the mooring line? And somehow, some way, missed the line.

You are a bit confused, but if you have no experience/training with this type of diving, that's understandable.

Look at post 13 in this thread for a pretty picture and description of the concept. I think it will help.

Walter:
Look at post 13 in this thread for a pretty picture and description of the concept. I think it will help.
The post Walter mentioned above:
Nomenclature 101: ...and I might have this messed up.... Walter's corrections are edited in RED

A Tag Line trails out from the boat (usually the ladder) and drifts out into the current with a flotation device (usually a ball or life ring) :doh: correction: It's really called a Current Line!

A Jon Line runs from the attachment point of the Tag Line, and runs forward, connecting to the Anchor Line or Down Line. :doh: Correction: it's called a Granny Line or a Tag Line!

A Hang Line or Hang Bar might be integral to down line, or it may run down from the juncture of the tag line & jon line... at the ladder.

It is, when systematically designed and applied, a rather complete system for divers to get too close, get their masks kicked off and engage in a general attempt to strangle themselves and test their gear for entanglement hazards. Finally a use for that large pointy dive knife!

An example:
uwlinesys2.gif

we call lots of dives and I think our customers generally want us to help with that decision. Kudos to SeaLevelScuba for the facts and after the loss Wes Skiles just another reason to always have a dive buddy

You are a bit confused, but if you have no experience/training with this type of diving, that's understandable.

Thanks -- I understand the lines, which is why I was confused he would miss one and not be able to call for help. As I responded after Schott posted,

Yes, given the rest of the story, I can see where he would travel quite a ways before surfacing.

The few times I have done wrecks in the Keys, the tag line is attached directly to the mooring ball and the stern next to the current line. You have to swim around the ball, a few feet to get to the down line. A weighted tag line, attached below the ball, would be much nicer and keep everyone from being bunched up on the safety stop.

Reef_Haven:
The few times I have done wrecks in the Keys, the tag line is attached directly to the mooring ball and current line. You have to swim around the ball, a few feet to get to the down line.

The mooring balls in the Keys are not so big as to require divers to swim around them. They are quite easy to reach around. Nancy is tiny and she has no trouble getting past them by reaching.

Reef_Haven:
A weighted tag line, attached below the ball, would be much nicer and keep everyone from being bunched up on the safety stop.

I also prefer a tag line attached at about 15 feet and used to rig them that way when I worked in the Keys. They are more difficult to rig and, if not tied in correctly, can ride up and end up on the surface anyway especially in strong current. There was a time when the moorings on the wrecks in the Keys were placed 15 feet below the surface.

As for bunching up on the safety stop, use a jon line.

The mooring balls in the Keys are not so big as to require divers to swim around them. They are quite easy to reach around. Nancy is tiny and she has no trouble getting past them by reaching.

Agreed, never been a problem for myself either.

I also prefer a tag line attached at about 15 feet and used to rig them that way when I worked in the Keys. They are more difficult to rig and, if not tied in correctly, can ride up and end up on the surface anyway especially in strong current. There was a time when the moorings on the wrecks in the Keys were placed 15 feet below the surface. As for bunching up on the safety stop, use a jon line.

I haven't seen sub-surface moorings since Lady Cyana :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom