Diver found dead on the sea floor at Red Rocks, Wellington, NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

infieldg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Possibly lobster hunting, all of Dive Wellington's charter guys got home safely today. The wording suggests a passing diver found him, but they were found soon enough to give cpr so maybe his/her buddy ;

Diver found dead off Wellington coast | Stuff.co.nz

RIP :(

---------- Post added December 12th, 2015 at 07:27 PM ----------

A good friend's son was there ;

"My son was involved with the diving incident today, he helped drag the body on to boat, he was out spear fishing with a mate. He is pretty messed up at mo!! Has put him off scuba diving hope he gets over it!!!
They were out and saw him come to surface, diving buddy raising alarm, apparently closer boats than them did nothing but they got to them and loaded the divers on to boat and did CPR

He had a buddy, not sure, boy not talking much, he supposed to be diving wellington next week but is a bit put off at the moment. Trying to finish his advanced dive course!!!!
He is more pissed off at the other boats closer to scene that could of helped!!!!
The buddy used his regulator to alert them... Maybe because he was a diver he knew something was wrong
They were out of the reserve area do yes guessing dinner"

I'm not exactly sure what he meant by using the reg to alert them, but presumably it was on the surface so I guess he just purged it til someone heard and looked.

Last edited:
The buddy used his regulator to alert them...

I wonder if he used a Scub-Alert or other type of air/dive horn? It connects between the regulator and the BC hose. I have one from 2002 or so that sounds more like quacking both under and above water, but the newer ones may be louder. Either way, it does the job of getting attention when needed, if close enough to hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom