• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver Guide, resource book, encyclopedia?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by R A Diver, Jan 12, 2009.

1. R A Diver

R A Diver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    As a new diver I find the language confusing? Can anyone recommend a guidebook, reference guide or other resource that straightens out the language. So much diving lingo is hard to follow: i.e. different classifications of diving certification, equipment, training. Any help appreciated.

2. rstofer

rstofer Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  3. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many. Rest in Peace

I would second that recommendation, although if you're looking for explanations of acronyms or about different certification agencies, that information won't be there. But explanations about kinds of gear, various procedures, levels of diving, etc. are there. The book's pretty good in its current incarnation.

4. CamG

CamG Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Greetings RADiver!
    Welcome to SB and the many abbreviations / terms take a while to soak in. Do not let them wear you down but relax and soon they will all make sense. It actually becomes quite fun when researching a new one! You will find on occasion someone will make one up that will require a personal definition!
    I think the afore mentioned source the E. of R.D. will be helpful but the best resource I have found is Scuba Board itself! I have learned a unbelievable amount of information from reading , observing , and posting.
    I like to research and consume information it keeps me on my toes, a good place to be.
    If you have your training books from your certification re-read them and you can use the E. of R.D. to further study the skills, hows and whys. It is particularly interesting to understand the physiology of diving.
    The greater understanding that you are seeking is out there and very accessible!
    Have fun and enjoy the search, do not forget to pass on your findings when others are seeking information!
    CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

5. publicsafetyinstr

publicsafetyinstr Solo Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have found that I use GOOGLE either on my blackberry or from my easy chair. A couple of things if you are feeling really ambitious, find some of the guys diving with the old gear - Like the historical diving society.

The background will help you in your quest to understand. I would also agree with everyone else - the Encyclopedia is a great tool. I forgot to add, spend part of a day with tech divers and in your favorite store - that will really get the ball rolling.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Deep-Thief

Deep-Thief Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hey there, I will try and help,

PADI- Professional Association of Dive Instructors
    NAUI- National Association of Underwater Instructors
    SSI- Scuba Schools International
    NACD- National Association of Cave Diving
    IANTD- International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers
    NSS-CDS- National Speological Society-Cave Diving Section
    GUE-Global Underwater Explorers
    DIR- Doing It Right(a way of diving, taught by GUE)
    OW-Open Water(your first certification)
    AOW- Advanced Open Water(usually the next certification after OW)
    DM- Dive Master(usually the first step to being a professional)
    AI- Assistant Instructor(second step to being a professional)
    OWSI- Open Water Scuba Instructor
    IDC- Instructor Development Course(What you must pass to become an instructor)
    IE- Instructor Exam
    BCD or just BC- Buoyancy Compensating Device or just Buoyancy Compensator
    Reg- usually refers to your regulator or the regulator set as a whole
    BP/W- Back Plate and Wings(a type of BCD used for technical diving)
    Tech- Technical diving
    Hog- Hogarthian (a type and/or style of diving, used by tech divers usually)
    STA- Single Tank Adapter (device used to convert a doubles setup to a single tank)
    doubles- usually having two tanks hooked together with a manifold to double your air supply
    D-ring- usually used on your BCD to hook things to, mainly used in tech diving
    Stage- extra tank taken with you to extend your dive time, used for tech diving
    Deco- decompression, again, tech diving
    NDL- No Decompression Limits
    SMB- Surface Marker Buoy

I am sure I will think of more later, that and a bunch or other people will probably chime in with some that I missed. Should help some. Mark

7. Cerveza

Cerveza Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    For abbreviations and such you could do no worse than browse these forums, for a paper copy of equipment references and other terms and info then go for the Encyclopedia of recreational diving