Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My initial thought was to condemn the diveop, but there is so little confirmed, real information no judgement can be reached.It is an unsolved mystery for the time being. Maybe the Buddies can fill in some details, and end the speculating. The fact of the matter, without a body we don't even know what the status of the diver is. I thought she was listed as missing.

The wants of a bunch of backseat divers on the internet are certainly of very little concern to the family, especially at this time.

Once the call went out about a missing diver almost all dive ops came to help
Thanks. There were contrary reports, but I found them hard to believe. I suppose there were a lot of variables and views.

Once the call went out about a missing diver almost all dive ops came to help

Were you guys north or south of the dive site?

The wants of a bunch of backseat divers on the internet are certainly of very little concern to the family, especially at this time.

The main point of this thread is to understand what happened in an attempt to prevent a recurrence.

My initial thought was to condemn the diveop, but there is so little confirmed, real information no judgement can be reached.It is an unsolved mystery for the time being. Maybe the Buddies can fill in some details, and end the speculating. The fact of the matter, without a body we don't even know what the status of the diver is. I thought she was listed as missing.
The main point of this thread is to understand what happened in an attempt to prevent a recurrence.
Maybe you missed the line...?

It's failing dismally then

Have they found Tamara?
She is still considered missing.
My understanding is the family members she was traveling with have returned back to the US.

It's failing dismally then

I disagree. While having facts surrounding the disappearance and of the missing diver's abilities and that of her buddy(ies) would be ideal, we can examine the unverified possibilities and offer suggestions. Divers new to Cozumel can then assess their experience and other factors against those recommendations and take the proper actions.

Case in point, I suggested multiple training scenarios to help a diver gain confidence and react properly in the event of a buddy/group separation. That may no longer be in this thread but it was done.

For the unconfirmed possibility that she was caught in a "whirlpool," a person could be trained to recognize and respond properly to that situation BEFORE encountering it.

In the case of the third rumored causal factor in her disappearance, the swim through separation, the suggestion of staying out of them is viable as are only going through very short length/large opening swim throughs, becoming comfortable diving in reduced visibility, controlled exposure to other less than ideal diving conditions, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom