Diver missing on Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly with "Dr." In front of your name, you should know that a serious medical issue could happen at any time and without any warning. Especially when we are talking about a 64 year old male breathing a hyperoxic gas under pressure. The timing might be incredibly poor that another diver left him at 20 feet, but we do it all the time. MI or CVA or possibly OxTox seizure. Even a momentary issue could have someone release the line in strong current and start drifting away in very limited surface vis. Now take the loop out of his mouth for even a second and some water gets in, changing from neutral to negative buoyancy. Now he's drifting and sinking at the same time while impaired or unconscious.
Many rebreather divers use their rigs as pure O2 rebreathers from 6m/20ft despite recent studies suggesting pO2 should be no higher than 1.3. So OxTox is a possibility at 20 feet.
And BTW, most divers I know don't use a DPV for Doria dives. It's not a dive where you cruise the length on the outside. You're exploring inside or in a rubble pile. Some use a scooter as an elevator to get down the line faster and then clip it off.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Certainly with "Dr." In front of your name, you should know that a serious medical issue could happen at any time and without any warning.

We had a thread a couple of years ago about a diver death that illustrates this. The guy and his buddy were side by side, looking for shark teeth. The guy made a funny sound and was suddently unconscious, probably already dead.

Would be interested to know more about the SP flown on the dive and deco...obviously he's not spiking above 1.6 between 20' and the surface, though.

In essence, a diver would not necessarily have to spike beyond what's possible between 6 metres and 3 (20 feet to 10). More and more vagaries with OxTox as time goes on and the dataBase grows.

Anyhow, all pure speculation until he and his unit show up.

Seems I have lost another friend to this hobby. Far too many over the years. So unfortunate. RIP my friend.

Reflection on the risk versus reward of CCR diving is in order.

Seems I have lost another friend to this hobby. Far too many over the years. So unfortunate. RIP my friend.

I am very sorry for your loss. The one thing that always strikes me about people who die on rebreathers is that they tend to be very good divers. As opposed to people who die whilst diving on open circuit where the quality is far more variable. As you say, it really makes you think about rebreathers.

In essence, a diver would not necessarily have to spike beyond what's possible between 6 metres and 3 (20 feet to 10). More and more vagaries with OxTox as time goes on and the dataBase grows.

Anyhow, all pure speculation until he and his unit show up.

Exactly, which is why I wonder about running and deco SP.

Shallow on CC also raises the possibility of hypoxia, but seems quite unlikely after completing deco and is also something we can't know unless the diver and rig are found.

Last edited:

jkaterenchuk, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Wondering if Jon lines have fallen out of favour? In the case of an unexpected medical emergency or loss of consciousness and getting swept off the line, would that not help matters?

I saw you were friends on FB, John. So sorry for the loss. We've been through this too many times.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Back
Top Bottom