Coast Guard helicopter en route to assist unconscious Andrea Doria diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was posted on Facebook. Very sad. Lost a good friend on this wreck a few years ago.

IMG_0252.JPG
The family of #wreck #diver Steve Slater have just issued this statement and image.

"It is with absolute sadness that we have to tell you that Steven died on Monday 24th July whilst #diving in the United States. We are all heartbroken but draw comfort knowing he was doing something that he loved."

Steve was a hugely respected and well-liked British wreck and technical diver. His pursued his passion, and actively researched and then searched for missing wrecks with his friends.

Steve was part of the Darkstar Team. (A Brit based mixed gas wreck expedition team.)

Last year he wrote an article on diving the #Jutland wrecks. You can find a link to his article here: http://bit.ly/2tJugXD

Steve died diving the SS Andrea Doria. A wreck on many divers bucket list. He is sorely missed by many of us.

Only through the rumor mill I heard it was an equipment failure - anyone have any details?

Slater.jpg
It sure looks like it from the picture....
A diver suffering a massive coronary while diving a rebreather is not having a rebreather accident. No more than a diver suffering a massive coronary while hanging out at a barbecue is having a burger accident.

Here is his facebook profile picture. I hope you don't draw the conclusion that he died of hangin'.

I think all you can tell from the RB in the picture is that we was an RB diver, not that the RB was the problem. Maybe the facts will emerge, and maybe they won't....

I heard that he was on the John Jack not Salty Ii.

He was on the Salty II. Sharky was the trip leader, and he used the John Jack in past years. To the best of my knowledge, the John Jack is no longer a dive boat.

Looks like a very experienced diver died while on the Doria on a scheduled dive, costing $1,800.00.
for the trip.

He was obviously diving a Rebreather.

Whatever the cause: medical, diver error, RB malfunction, I hope this thread stays civil and informative
so we can learn from this tragedy.

RIP to Steve Slater and condolences to his family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom