Diver Missing Race Rocks BC, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The day before Timothy went missing, I was boating nearby (diving cancelled). Coincidentally I'd discussed with the capt another "missing diver" incident off Race Rocks, less than one month before (6th of June) when the cpt was involved in the rescue of two divers who had gone missing.

Links - June incident:
Two missing divers found- Times Colonist June 6, 2015 | Race Rocks Log
Collaborative search and rescue effort to find two missing divers |

I dive a frequently here locally, here on southern Vancouver Island, including Race Rocks - both from the same charter and a private boat.
Observations -
Race Rocks has very strong currents, the strongest I've encountered in these waters, and being unprotected/open-channel can have other dangerous factors - winds/waves and visibility limited (underwater or above[fog/marine layer moves quickly]).
Besides the large tide exchange that day (5th July) the skies were so dark due to the smoke that blanketed the area.

Thoughts/recommendations on Safety measures - assure proper training/experience for conditions, proper briefing/explaining dangers/procedures, proper equipment (SMB, whistle/signalling device), call off/relocate dive if conditions warrant, etc.

My thoughts are with the family and friends and wish those searching for success in locating Timothy.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2015 at 12:14 PM ----------

Oh dear, were they diving with one of the charters?

You'd have to; unless you're hilariously ambitious Race Rocks is a boat dive.
To be fair, you don't need to dive with a "one of the charters" - I dive it from a private boat.

I suppose with perfect conditions and skills - kayaking could get you there.

Still - those currents around the island are like a river+river rapids at the surface.

Re: boat dive - charters?
Besides Ogden Pt shop, I don't think there are any other regular charters that visit Race. Rock Fish, I believe, does on occasion.

Again - hope for the best with the search operation.

First off, thank you all for your kind words and advice I've received in private messages.

The family wants to notify the general public to be on the lookout for anything, but we don't know anyone in the area. We have a missings person poster (PDF) that we'd appreciate anyone in the area to print out and post in public spaces. There is a reward for information leading to his recovery. Send me a PM with your email address, and I can send it to you.

Thanks everyone.

From above link. "...Possibly mandating all divers to wear a dive watch that carries a GPS locator and surface marker buoy."

I wonder if it's recreational diving & individual responsibility that isn't understood, or is it US laws in general? The US will not generally make a law forcing someone to do something if non-compliance poses no threat to any outsider. This seems like a law similar to making it illegal to hike in the desert with inadequate water supplies. You should not regulate matters of personal responsibility.

But the family seems to be from Hong Kong. They could be used to a very different manner of thinking about personal feedom as opposed to appropriate regulation, I wouldn't know.

FinnMom, I'm not sure I'm from the same US you posted about. We have helmet laws for riding bicycles and motorcycles, and seatbelt laws for cars, not to mention all kinds of other "protect the children/stupid" kind of laws. I wouldn't put it past some politician to try and force GPS trackers/locator beacons for divers. That said, that link is about Canada, not the US, so who knows what the likelihood of it happening really is.

FinnMom, I'm not sure I'm from the same US you posted about. We have helmet laws for riding bicycles and motorcycles, and seatbelt laws for cars, not to mention all kinds of other "protect the children/stupid" kind of laws. I wouldn't put it past some politician to try and force GPS trackers/locator beacons for divers. That said, that link is about Canada, not the US, so who knows what the likelihood of it happening really is.

True most of this is to protect the children/stupid kind of laws. But seatbelt laws and other safety factors are to try and drive down the costs of accidents and long term care for the general citizens who are paying for much of the litigation and costs of medical treatments for the majority of accidents - through their premiums. It is not to make a better society as much as it is to save money / profits for the corporations...

I dont think the diving population is going to benefit or decrease corporate costs in any meaningful way - therefore - mute point no GPS tracker - won't happen...

IMO :D

Neither PLB's nor GPS work underwater, so the whole "watch" thing will be out. Having a PLB on a float doesn't make sense because the diver has to surface to activate it. Since neither of those technologies transmit underwater, it's sort of a moot point. Not that divers just disappear without surfacing (although some do), but considering the number of divers who surface, DON'T DROP THEIR WEIGHTS, then sink back under and die, I would be surprised that even if mandated, there were any float/PLB deployments by divers. Divers who would activate a PLB are already safe on the surface, but at that point would just be lost. We already have a solution for that, dive with a PLB.

There are plenty of regulations around the world regarding dive floats already. People choose to follow or disregard even when it is codified into law. I don't see that changing even if a dive float law is enacted due to this tragedy.

But the family seems to be from Hong Kong. They could be used to a very different manner of thinking about personal feedom as opposed to appropriate regulation, I wouldn't know.

We are very straight on gun and pot.

We don't know what kind of trouble they got into underwater and if that missing diver ever surfaced, but I wouldn't have liked to dive at a place with strong currents when there was limited surface visibility!

My mistake: I thought this was in Washington state.
I was thinking for example, of why some states refuse to require motorcycle helmets, and many/most limit the law to drivers under 21. I also remember back when this made it hard to get seatbelt laws passed. Children are differen because they are not adults making their own decisions about personal risk.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom