Diver vanishes off Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes diving in Fl with currents can be tricky. A large surface market and practice deploying it are also thinks to consider. I have an audio signal device and the older style Nautilus where I can call the boat. Yes I was adrift for a short time in West Palm Beach and it was scary until another boat picked me up. Bought the Nautilus the next day. More to the topic. If I surfaced in distress i like the comfort of pushing a button and calling the cavilary.

Did I read correctly that the boat had 34 divers?
Divers and snorkelers. I don't believe the boat can hold 34 divers and their equipment. It would be a full boat with just snorkelers.

The Copenhagen is the wreckage of a boat that has been in the water for more than 100 years. The original wreck was shelled to break it up because it was a navigation hazard. It is not just fragments lying on the bottom at a depth of about 30 feet. It lies off Pompano Beach, and not that far off, either. I have sat on the beach and watched divers enter from the shore and swim out to dive it. It is popular among hunters because it is easy to get to and has lots of fish. It is also popular with snorkelers and beginning divers because of the depth and the fish life.

By law, groups of divers would have to be towing a surface flag, which would make it easy to follow the divers. They would not go far in this case, though, so there would not be much following going on. The boat would have been moored on one of the permanent mooring lines there.

No flag required if diver is within 300 ft of the Vessel displaying Diver Down Flag. Frequent occurence on the Copenhagen and nearby mooring bouys. IMO Dive flag laws not only need to be beefed up, but FWC needs to do a little enforcement other than during mini season. Boat Flag should be 3X5 ft and divers flag should be 24" and at least 36 inches out of the water. And divers should have to purchase fishing license which helps fund LEO and other diving related resources.

No flag required if diver is within 300 ft of the Vessel displaying Diver Down Flag. Frequent occurence on the Copenhagen and nearby mooring bouys.
I did not realize it. I have never dived there with the Lady GoDiver, but I dived there this past year with another operator. I was teaching the first dives of a tec class, and they made us use flags.

Have not dove there but the only time I have seen Dive flags with divers out of Key Largo was when we were doing drift dives. If boat tied to a buoy no flags and you can go as far as air permits.

this is a popular beach diving site also.....sorry to hear of such incidences........condolences to family friends and colleagues....

I dive this wreck before... and its only in 20ft of water. this is so scary you dive at places where accidents have happened..

And divers should have to purchase fishing license which helps fund LEO and other diving related resources.

I see no reason to force divers to buy a fishing licence if they are not taking any game, besides only a portion (30%) helps fund LEOs. It would be ineffective as well as offensive to those who don't believe in taking game. Better a tax on air fills that will go directly to fund LEOs and other diving related resources, it would directly target divers and not give a bonus to those holding a fishing licence. And while you are at it figure out a tax for every other sport and hobby that are served by LEOs and EMS, just to be fair.

You could just cut a check to the agency and a note on how you would like it spent, they will be glad to receive the help.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom