Diver with Shoulder Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Police divers here in New South Wales wear manifolded twins mounted upsidedown. They have always done this and seem to have no problems.

There are a number of “experts” that work on dive boats that aren’t really, well maybe in their minds, you met one. Glad there were real experts that were reasoned and allowed you to dive.

After my 2nd shoulder op left me with limited ROM I considered inverted doubles.It appears to be a very elegant configuration / answer to what seems to becoming a common problem. However whatever configuration I used was going to be pieced together with what I had on hand or could make or buy cheap.

The valve guards where the problem, either too expensive or what I had to use on hand would add more weight than I wanted.Also I dive three different size tanks as doubles which would require 3 different size guards.
So I went with independent doubles.I like that the tanks can be carried as singles or used as singles.
I installed in-line on/off valves on both 2nd stages and OVP valves on both 1st stages.In the event of a major free flow (something that in over 2000 dives has not happen) I can get the bubbles out of my face.

I took the time to develop the skill of removing my rig and wearing it on my chest, in the event that I really need the gas flowing out the 1st stage, I can shut the valve down.I got the time down to just under 60 seconds actually less if the free flow is from the left tank because I can shut the valve off with my free hand before the rig is in place on my chest.I found that after removing the rig, turning me instead of the rig is the quickest way.

The only comments I get is about the amount of “stuff” I have, with double the hoses it does look bulky.

I tried SM a couple of years ago, it was fine but not fine enough for me to go into debt to buy a SM rig.I didn’t like walking into or out of the water with them either.IMO SM shines where they were invented to be used in caves.
A lot of wrecks aren’t suited for SM either.I doubt very much if a SM diver could go thru the U853 here in RI in a normal swimming position.

Like others have said whatever works that allows you to dive and live with the down sides is where it’s at.

Last edited:
walking in backmount doubles is easier, it's no different than carrying a heavy backpack. It may be less comfortable for many depending on what type of harness they have, i.e. if you're using an SMS or a Nomad it isn't fair to compare comfort to a hog harness, but if you have a Transpac on with doubles, or a Nomad with the same tanks in sidemount, there is no way you can argue sidemount is easier. The tanks are pulling you more or less forward which is unnatural, and the fact that the tanks are loose instead of fixed means that every time you walk they move with you which creates a tremendous amount of inertia with each step. You can run in doubles, you can barely get a normal walking pace with sidemount.

That all said, I walk out of the caves in my bottles almost every time because it is still easier to me than making 2 or 3 trips but I do prefer doubles if I have any significant trek to make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom