Diverite XTs Slipping Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On my last local dive of last season, one of my fins came loose during my safety stop and slipped off. On my first local dive of this season, I had the same problem and had to keep tugging the strap back up, and one came off completely when I got to shore and was removing other gear.

They've been fine for about 60 dives before that, and about half of those would have been dry. So something has changed. I didn't notice if it was always the same fin, but I'll make a note of that next time out. I don't notice it easily because I'm also using fin keepers.

I did four dives in the Caribbean over the winter using my wet suit boots and they didn't give me any trouble at all. Actually I traded another diver for one of those dives because he wanted to try the XTs but he didn't report any problems.

Maybe my springs are worn out.

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures of how the fin looks when I'm wearing it in my drysuit. One at 90 degrees and the other extended. I've never noticed before how much the sole pokes out the back, especially when extended. If anything the boot seems on the small size before I get the fins on.

Any ideas?

IMG_4214s.jpg

IMG_4213s.jpg

Thanks!

Lack of tension on the springs. You are unfortunately at the small end of their size range. Maybe try rock boots.

Thanks @runsongas. The boots are DUI "Turbo Boots" size XL and the fins are Diverite XT size L. I normally take size 11 shoes. I'm thinking the springs are getting over extended around my heel and that might have worn them out, leading to the lack of tension you indicated. I think they're working ok with my wetsuit boots because they have a heel that extends around the back and provide a ridge to hold the strap in place.

I don't think rock boots would fit into the fin pocket, so I'd need new fins as well as sending in the drysuit to have the boots replaced.

You can try swapping to slightly smaller springs. Are you getting a lot of air in the feet? that can also cause the turbo boot to swell and the springs to pop off. another advantage of rock boots.

Fin keepers go over your fins. They don't do anything if you just wear them over your boots.

Call Dive Rite and buy some new straps. Easy fix.

I think you're both right, and a new set of springs is the way to go.

@JohnnyC, I think keepers are usually worn over full foot fins (what I'd call flippers) but getting them around spring straps is an ordeal. I tried that once. I use them to give me feet the sensation that something's pressing against the bottom of them. See post #4 in this thread which suggested I wear them this way: Fins feel loose in drysuit, feet clench and cramp

I only mention it because you're not using the fin keepers to actually keep the fins on your feet, so it's not part of the equation.

Technically a flipper is a limb and a fin is not. So in theory, they should all be called flippers. I watched a divemaster and a marine biologist argue the point during a surface interval. It was entertaining.

Reactions: vam
I only mention it because you're not using the fin keepers to actually keep the fins on your feet, so it's not part of the equation.

You know, now that you mention it, maybe I'll try a loser home made fin keeper made from thick bungee that would go over the fin more easily. At least until I can get the new springs.

Technically a flipper is a limb and a fin is not. So in theory, they should all be called flippers. I watched a divemaster and a marine biologist argue the point during a surface interval. It was entertaining.

That is funny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom