Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Close to a pilot (Helmsman, Planes and COW) except no windows. 8000+Ton Nuclear Submarine...They are kind of like a big slowmoving airplane with far more Fire power....

1_T_Submariner:
except no windows. 8000+Ton Nuclear Submarine...

i bet turning final with one of those takes... waht.... six hours?

cerich:
Can you elaborate?
The Kraken:
Pre-flight, post-flight, proper execution of emergency proceedures, logical and deductive thought process in stressful situations = safe landing/ascent.
Kraken covered it pretty well. Very procedural for the most part. One of the things I think pilots and divers have in common is that most gain an early awareness that they could easily kill themselves, and not just because they did something stupid. We know that most accidents result from small problems that are cumulative rather than catastrophic.

I remember a quote that my first instructor had on the wall of his office. I always thought it was kind of weird. Now that I dive, I think about it all the time.
"The air like the sea is not inherently dangerous, yet like the sea it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness or error."​
Another common pilot quote applies to diving as well I suspect.
"There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old, bold divers."​

Willie

"There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old, bold divers."

Hmm, there may be at least one. S---w safety, I am in it for the danger! N

Private pilot single engine land, A&P. I haven't flown for quite a while and pretty much gave up on aviation. For the last 18 years I've either worked in the aviation field or was in school and recently left aviation all together. For me aviation was no longer fun.

ATP - Gulftstream, Jetstar, Westwind, Citation
Lived the dream as charter/corporate pilot in L.A., now living the dream as scuba instructor in Key Largo.

I work part-time at my department's Air Support Unit as a Tactical Flight Officer, aka the "observer."

As a TFO it's not my job to fly the helicopter, but we are being taught how to land in case the pilot is somehow incapacitated. Part of learning to land is learning to fly the aircraft properly and safely back to a safe landing area, hence a bit of flight training for me.

N@rco$i$:
A friend once told me this joke "If the wings move faster than the fusalage it is a helicopter, and therefore unsafe."

But that's the attraction :wink:

RonDawg:
I work part-time at my department's Air Support Unit as a Tactical Flight Officer, aka the "observer."

As a TFO it's not my job to fly the helicopter, but we are being taught how to land in case the pilot is somehow incapacitated. Part of learning to land is learning to fly the aircraft properly and safely back to a safe landing area, hence a bit of flight training for me.

But that's the attraction :wink:

The best part is as a governmental agency you actually don't require by law a pilots license to fly government operated aircraft:D

There was a case in Carolina where the sheriff department leased a helicopter from a deputy they thought was qualified, he wasn't. He crashed and killed his deputy passenger. He ended up being charged only because an AD had not been done on the last annual....

wet-willie:
The air like the sea is not inherently dangerous, yet like the sea it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness or error."

Our Chief Instructor has that quote on his wall too.

My wife already covered me, hopefully will have the PP-ASEL done tomorrow and will be moving directly into instrument in early June flying a c172sp w/G1000 (yeah, I know the G1000's cheating for the IFR rating, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.) Flying for fun and ability to fly ourselves to destinations but will probably go through commercial so I can add it to the resume.

Back
Top Bottom