Divers drown in mining pond during search-and-rescue operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ScubadriverDale has a point; I find it’s like an Easter egg hunt to look in “accidents” for tips on how not to get in an accident in my own diving. But half the time, (no eggs-ageration!) the news writers don’t know how to describe accurately.
But I do appreciate Dandy Don’s bringing these to SB, because I am learning a lot. In fact I’m also learning about things that I’ve done in the past that were more dangerous than i realized at the time. Swimming near a waterfall is a potential trap that you don’t hear about ANYWHERE but on SB

I used to live near Washington, DC. The Potomac River runs between Maryland and Virginia in an area known as Great Falls. There is a particular area - Potomac Gorge - which attracts kayakers from around the world because of the challenging rapids. I used to rock climb with my children on the Virginia side of the gorge and had be very careful with them near the water because there used to be around seven drownings in that area every year. Most of the time it was people walking around on the slippery rocks, not kayakers or climbers, who fell in and then someone else would jump in to rescue them and then both would drown. The hydraulics were intense and often the bodies would not float out of them for a few days.

In 2013 a kayaker named Shannon Christy was being filmed for a segment on the CBS 60 minutes sports program and got trapped in the hydraulics. Her body was pulled out of the intense current a few hours later by a few very brave and strong people. If you have access to Showtime in the USA you can watch the segment here: 60 Minutes Sports: Extreme Kayaker Shannon Christy's Tragic Death | SHOWTIME

We, as scuba divers, treat water as a comforting and friendly place but it can be very deadly, even in shallow areas.

Why are half the threads in accidents titled Diving as in scuba diving when no scuba diving is involved? Cant thread titles be edited?
Yes, the threads can be retitled or the posts can be moved if it isn't related to diving. In this case we did not know if it was diving related considering the first article's title in the original post mentions divers.

Please report the thread and the moderator team will decide on a title change or a thread move. Often we will take care of it before the thread is reported but sometimes we won't act unless people report the thread.

Exaggerate much? The thread posters here generally do their best with titles and sharing initial reports. We often don't know if they were on scuba, rebreather (which is still scuba), or freediving from the news stories, and hope new info will be supplied. Changing a title does require Mod assistance, and I have done that at times, but getting the whole story into the headline is too much to ask.

Yep, thanks.
Im not exaggerating and do not appreciate your attack. Im new here and there are QUITE a few threads titled DIVERS when they are not. If that's offensive to you I don't really know what to say.

@ScubadriverDale has a point; I find it’s like an Easter egg hunt to look in “accidents” for tips on how not to get in an accident in my own diving. But half the time, (no eggs-ageration!) the news writers don’t know how to describe accurately.
But I do appreciate Dandy Don’s bringing these to SB, because I am learning a lot. In fact I’m also learning about things that I’ve done in the past that were more dangerous than i realized at the time. Swimming near a waterfall is a potential trap that you don’t hear about ANYWHERE but on SB
this is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for helping clarify what I meant and yes I have the same reasons for reading these threads. To help myself in the future.

Im not exaggerating and do not appreciate your attack. Im new here and there are QUITE a few threads titled DIVERS when they are not. If that's offensive to you I don't really know what to say.
I did not notice that you're new here; sorry. No attack intended, but I do think you've exaggerated. There are different types of divers, and I wouldn't learn anything about a rebreather accident, but it doesn't take much time to review initial posts of each thread to see what it's about.

Feel free to click Report on any problem thread and state your objections. The Mods are very helpful here.

...there are QUITE a few threads titled DIVERS when they are not...
A lot of those actually are divers, just not scuba divers.:wink: There is still quite a bit to learn from many of these events as they are still underwater and many principles still apply. I've learned quite a bit from them that I may not have been exposed to otherwise. Not everyone feels the same. :)

I'm surprised DandyDon's response strikes you as an "attack". It seemed like a very mild response to me. You may or may not have noticed that DandyDon submits most of the posts in this forum, a service many of us appreciate. Worrying about a title that may or may not be completely accurate at the time it was posted seems like a very minor concern. Chill out.

P-Delta. Very frightening effect.

I did not notice that you're new here; sorry. No attack intended, but I do think you've exaggerated. There are different types of divers, and I wouldn't learn anything about a rebreather accident, but it doesn't take much time to review initial posts of each thread to see what it's about.

Feel free to click Report on any problem thread and state your objections. The Mods are very helpful here.

Sorry about snapping like that, I blame that more on my occasional drinking while typing and less on thin skin. I actually self banned myself from posting for a few days due to this. I hate waking up reading what I type when inebriated the night before.

Back
Top Bottom