Divers dying in Cayman 9 last year 4 this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Gary. I honestly felt that we had all turned a corner and were headed in the right direction. Hopefully the thread will be reinstated with most of it in tact because there will be some value in it. If too much gets stripped away it will become a pretty useless and impossible to follow thread....thus just causing people to lose interest. But, we all allowed it to get to where it was early on so the Mods will do what they need to now to make it "flame free".

That thread has been gone so long that I would not expect to ever see it back. That is too bad as there were a couple areas of diver responsibility that were never addressed. For example, a buddy who makes a last minute change to a buddy relationship. And the diver who aides in changing that relationship. And how a diver drifts off in some of the clearest of waters with no one seeing what was happening. Sure, it is all 20/20 hindsight. But it may contribute positively to foresight in some future incident.

I am not sure if you are jealous that your thread has been as inactive as it has or what exactly the point was of that post RoatanMan. Very few threads which originate in the Accidents & Incidents forum follow the evolution of a typical thread here on SB. You are likely right about the GORE sells.....but it is also a place where an SB poster can go to say "I told ya so!!" (in a manner of speaking of course) and state the obvious and move on.

I do believe that the issue which was eventually closed in on in the "Removed" thread, is a relevant one to divers IMO, but it has also been discussed many times and most instances has experienced failing grades for execution (meaning nothing ever came from the threads).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread is coming back.

It's being gone through now and most of the outright insults are being removed. As it's over 1000 posts long it's going to take a little while.

I'm not doing it but have contacted the person who is for a status update which I will post here

Last edited:
I am not sure if you are jealous that your thread has been as inactive as it has or what exactly the point was of that post RoatanMan. Very few threads which originate in the Accidents & Incidents forum follow the evolution of a typical thread here on SB. You are likely right about the GORE sells.....but it is also a place where an SB poster can go to say "I told ya so!!" (in a manner of speaking of course) and state the obvious and move on.

I do believe that the issue which was eventually closed in on in the "Removed" thread, is a relevant one to divers IMO, but it has also been discussed many times and most instances has experienced failing grades for execution (meaning nothing ever came from the threads).

I do not believe this thread had anything to do with GORE sells. I believe it hit a raw nerve in the diving community. It did with me. It seems to have with others too.

What I would hope the mods insist on when the thread comes back is that endless repetition (I'm to blame here too) is not allowed. Assigning particular or individual blame is not the point. We're look at whether this is a failure of the system or not. If not, then the thread can live with whines and groans. If it really does involve systemic failures or inconsistencies then laying blame on an individual is both pointless and counter-productive if the object of the thread is to find solutions to the problem.

Therefore, if the thread is re-instated, can people PLEASE restrain themselves and put forward arguments that are relevant, concise and new. I've not doubt mods will say this more succinctly than I can but I'd like to pre-empt people like myself.from wrecking it.. :)

It is human nature to go off track sometimes. Especially on things like this. And I agree with you. This whole thing and the discussion resulting from it hit a nerve with alot of people. And I for one am glad it did. It is about time that new divers and experienced ones who did not realize just what could be going on got a wake up call. My only hope is that they don't go back to sleep.

I do not believe this thread had anything to do with GORE sells.

Then how do you explain the irrelevant and inflammatory title?

It was a thread initiated by a close witness for purposes other than incident explanation, accident analysis, or practices review.

If it was started for such an altruistic reason, it was poorly phrased- from the title on downwards.

Dive management on day boats or any dive professional hosted operation bears our inspection and understanding, but beginning that theoretical discussion the way that thread did was counter-productive.

Quoting 1/2 of a statistic as an original post premise is a devious thing. Accepting it as a basis for a thread and entering into a lengthy string of replies is a fool's game.

On one hand, the assembled masses decry MOD editing and censoring, and when the new Moon phase begins- the voices are raised demanding ever-more control.

Think for yourself... but think!

I do not believe this thread had anything to do with GORE sells. I believe it hit a raw nerve in the diving community. It did with me. It seems to have with others too.

I think the title had a lot to do with at least the number of views the thread got. It definitely hit a nerve for people, myself included.

What I would hope the mods insist on when the thread comes back is that endless repetition (I'm to blame here too) is not allowed. Assigning particular or individual blame is not the point. We're look at whether this is a failure of the system or not. If not, then the thread can live with whines and groans. If it really does involve systemic failures or inconsistencies then laying blame on an individual is both pointless and counter-productive if the object of the thread is to find solutions to the problem.

Where the blame lies was one of the largest points in the thread, and it wouldn't have gotten the attention it did without that debate/argument.

Therefore, if the thread is re-instated, can people PLEASE restrain themselves and put forward arguments that are relevant, concise and new. I've not doubt mods will say this more succinctly than I can but I'd like to pre-empt people like myself.from wrecking it.. :)

Sure the thread needs to remain within the TOS, but I read the entire thread, and was a participant in it for some time. None of the thread was really that off the wall until maybe the last few pages. I'm sure the mods will find things to clean up, but I for one hope it's left largely intact. I've seen what excessive moderation can do to other discussions, especially if a mod "takes sides" by selectively deleting more posts concerning a particular point of view. I hope this doesn't happen, but we'll see.

I read the entire thread, but I did not participate until the very end, when I could add some purely factual material in response to a question. There was a lot about that thread that bothered me, and perhaps sharing the parts that bothered me might help when it is restarted.

1. It began with some inaccurate information. The OP later admitted it and apologized for making inaccurate statements, but she was not always really clear about what those inaccuracies were. Some people continued to respond to the inaccuracies, and it frankly created a mess of misinformation. Discussion went around in circles with people arguing passionately about things that were not true.

2. The OP said she could not reveal all her information. She claimed to know more than anyone else, and she argued on that basis. This created a really tough situation for meaningful discussion.

3. The OP was the only one with personal knowledge participating, and she was participating with a lot of emotion. It made it tough for people to question some of her statements when they did not ring true to them. It is tough to speak about the issues with an even keel without coming off as attacking a grieving person.

4. We were debating the issue with only one very angry side of a story that has two sides. The dive operator has a side, too, but cannot speak because they are legally constrained from such participation because of pending legal action. Maybe they have a point on their side. Maybe they don't. It just seems to me unfair that we only get one side.

5. Whenever anyone speaks in this thread about the value of the other thread, they speak of the value of the discussion of the role of a DM. I agree that this is a good discussion topic, but it is hard to discuss it without the emotional coloring of this incident clouding judgment. Roatanman started a non-emotional version of that discussion, and it is a good thread. Why not just have tha discussion there?

BoulderJohn, ScubaSteve & RoatanMan:

I wholeheartedly agree. But, we would probably need multiple threads.

I have to admit that I read the early posts on the original thread with the same morbid fascination that I get when I drive by a horrible car wreck. Part of me desperately wanted to look and the other part of me was ashamed of myself for responding to the sensational alure of the title and overly emotional charge/counter charges...

However, once the raw emotion burned off, it turned into one of the most interesting and informative threads on ScubaBoard. In addition to the "what really is the role of a DM", I found two of the major themes in particular to be thought provoking.

The first was the discussion about the amount of trust new divers place in their first resort dive charter operators and how widely that trust is abused. The discussion was absolutely on target. On my last trip the Blue Hole I was shocked to find out that there was a group of 8 divers on the boat that had been open water certified the day before... What in the world was the charter operator thinking? Day one as a certified diver and lets take you down to 130 feet... Talk about literally and figuratively getting in over your head! Let's face it, this type of turning a blind eye to new diver safety persists only because none of the certifying agencies want to lose market share by being the first to enforce hard and fast experience requirements for advanced diving activities... whether it is deep, drift, wreck or otherwise. It is a classic case of all or none... If one agency enforces standards they lose customers. If they all do it at the same time on a voluntary basis, they are all equal until one starts to bend the standard in order to gain an advantage... then it all crumbles. The only way I can think of to make it really work is for the RSTC and NAUI to agree to a common mandatory set of depth versus certification standards. If anyone else has a better or more practical idea, it would be great to discuss it!

The second related to the issue underlying the title and the original post. When the author accused the Caymans of being unacceptably dangerous, there was no standard to compare the 9 2008 deaths and the 4 2009 deaths to. There is a big difference between the number of deaths and the "death rate." More caucasian infants die every year in the US than minority infants... Does that mean that it is safer to be a minority infant? Absolutely not, their death rate is almost double (i.e. deaths per 1,000 births). Does anyone know what how the death rate (deaths per 1,000 dives) for the Caymans compares to other dive destinations. Without that information, any discussion about the Caymans versus other resort destinations is pure conjecture. We can all come up with annecdotal horror stories about almost anywhere. If there really is something "more wrong" with the dive operations in the Cayman Islands than elsewhere, it will show up in "mortality and serious injury rates." The total number of deaths really does not mean anything. Both the author and the early contributers acted as if they did not know or care that 9 deaths deaths out of 300,000 dives is actually twice as safe as 3 deaths out of 50,000 dives. the discussion constantly reminded me of my great grandfather's favorite saying, "Statistics never lie and liars always use statistics!"

For what it is worth, I am grateful for the thought that went into posts on this "too bad its gone for now" thread and to the staff of ScubaBoard that is slogging through the more than a thousand posts on the original thread to edit out the inappropriate parts. When it is reposted, I doubt the non sensational version will have the same appeal the original did. Perhaps the biggest benefit it will have has already begun... Stimulating individual threads that address the truly important issues that slowly began to assert themselves as the thread outlived the emotion of the original post.

I look forward to seeing the next installments to this thread and to reading and learning from the threads that spin off to address key topics!

P

*** For any who don't know, the Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) was incorporated in the United States in 1986 with the mission of establishing minimum training standards at all levels of recreational scuba diving. If I remember correctly, NAUI is the only major certification agency that is not a member. ***

Last edited:
The thread should come back. It should not have been removed because of its evolution from, "who is to blame?" to "what might have contributed to the accident?" It is very clear from that thread that most new divers have too much faith in the people who are called Dive Masters, that might in fact be just Dive Guides and do not have the training to safely lead a dive with NEW divers. Yes, trainning has a role in it as well. You cannot just MENTION something in class, without hamering it home, and expect people to fully retain it. The LIMITED role of DM/DG has to be highlighted and made a conspicious part of training for new diver so there is NO confusion.

What was especially helpful in that thread was learning how those facts might have played a part in the death of the diver, plus the divers own desire to go to 100 ft and the DM/DG allowing that. Even the Dive OPs and or, DM/DG's choice of dive site COULD have been a contributing factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom